Möte SURVIVOR, 495 texter
Skriven 2005-05-23 16:56:12 av James Bradley (1:134/77.0)
    Kommentar till text 111 av Ardith Hinton (1:153/716.0)
Ärende: Speed Racer
===================
05-15-05  15:26, Ardith Hinton told James Bradley about Speed Racer

 How do, Ardith?

 JB>  "Light years in a leap year..." <ROTF>

 AH> Found this among the instructions for a rally we
 AH> participated in... to four decimal places, please &
 AH> thankyou!  We didn't have calculators or computers then.  A
 AH> friend of ours, an accountant, reported that he'd worked
 AH> out the answer in ten minutes.  Maybe that's why he's an
 AH> accountant & I'm not... [rueful grin].

I might be wrong, but I think they were having you on. Seeing as a light year
measures distance, and a leap year time - just another day tacked onto the
regular 365... Maybe with reference to velocity? You know, "Light years/Leap
year." But then, they  might not differentiate a leap year when calculating
light years... <Ouch, I hurt my head!>

 JB>  The one thing I never forgot from my bicycle
 JB>  escapades, is to never try to repeat the same
 JB>  mistake that lead me to the emergency ward.

 AH> Uh-huh.  A sign of intelligence, or so I understand...
 AH> [chuckle].

I wouldn't go that far. I think a worm will avoid contaminated dirt. Doesn't
take a rocket scientist. <G>

 JB>  in the *back* seat, Ardith.

 AH> Fair enough.  I never learned to ride a bicycle.  By the
 AH> time I had  an opportunity to learn, with a borrowed one, I understood
 AH> only too well what might happen if I fell off!  Rallywise,

...Add that height to as fast as you can pedal to tenth gear down a steep hill,
and you'd learn too. <L>

 AH> what were doing was usually more a test of our ability to
 AH> match wits with the rallymaster... and vice versa... than a
 AH> race.  We were supposed to maintain a certain average speed
 AH> & didn't know in advance where the checkpoints would be
 AH> located.  If the instructions told us to take the first
 AH> opportunity to turn left, for example, was this or was it
 AH> not a reference to the goat track which might end in a
 AH> muddy field & delay us by half an hour??  We did fall off
 AH> the road once on a speed stage.  Like the vast majority of
 AH> other people we knew who had done the same, we were unhurt
 AH> & the damage to the car was minor. These were relatively
 AH> local "fun rallies"... not as dramatic, or as competitive,
 AH> as the national rallies on TV.  But I won't deny there were
 AH> some risks....  :-))

Ah... Just when I thought you had some "wish fulfillment" or whatever the
shrinks are calling a "death wish" these days.

 JB>  (HAPPY MOTHERS DAY, BTW! ]|-)

 AH> Thankyou!  Yes, if she's at all like the typical
 AH> primary teacher you'd probably drive her nuts & vice versa.
 AH> I'm not, as I guess you know now....  ;-)

...You're not a happy mother? <G+D>

Mom taught business ed at a vocational school for most of her career. She
started at a High School, and toward the end, she spent some time at a teen
pregnancy facility, and again finished up at an old-money High School. She was
in charge of a lot of computer training, which surprises me how little she is
able to absorb about them. <shrug>

 JB>  Maybe Barnstey is also a manufacturer, and she just
 JB>  assumed your clock might be made by them?

 AH> As to the former, I suppose anything is possible.  As to the
 AH> latter, I think she assumed a lot based on a cursory
 AH> inspection from three feet away!  She wasn't the expert
 AH> we'd come to see... he hadn't arrived yet.  And all the

Ahhh... Those types. "Know-it-all" kinda says it all? I knew what you were
saying when I first read your last post, but I was trying to understand the
smart-<Ahem>butt, and if she *might* have some expertise.

 AH> clocks available for purchase in the store had obviously
 AH> been made within recent years, so I doubt she knows very
 AH> much about 19th century clockmakers.  Such people tend to
 AH> express personal opinions in such a firm & authoritative
 AH> manner, though, that others often doubt themselves.  The
 AH> incident with the clock is rather amusing in retrospect,
 AH> but the same occurs with regard to more serious matters
 AH> too....  :-/

Too often their quest for superiority is rewarded, but short lived. The heck if
they care about the long term though. I just found out the other day that I may
have worked for a sociopath. They have many of those demeaning characteristics,
and little grasp of what consequences the future holds for those petard hoists.

 AH> Uh-huh.  I can relate to many of the problems you're having
 AH> with  folks who don't understand your organic gardening methods
 AH> because I've read up on this subject as well.  I was quite
 AH> annoyed when my father-in-law took it upon himself to spray
 AH> an apple tree a decade ago, thinking he was doing us a
 AH> favour.  And I'm still battling the alder weed another
 AH> "helper" spread by chopping the roots into little bits &
 AH> leaving them buried in the ground to produce more weeds...
 AH> (sigh).

The people who resided in my father place before we bought, were convinced
aphids were killing his Nan-king Cherry, and had dosed it up twice a year with
some poison or another. (Forget just what it was.) Weaning it from that was
taxing on the bush until the Lady-bird beetles started returning, but I don't
know if it has ever recovered. It might just be that it has reached old age by
now. It lived long enough for me to propagate some seeds though, so it *will*
live on. <-| *Sweet* fruit from that one!

I just finished double digging most of my garden, and have quite a bit of seed
in. My, am I sore! Now, I have to keep up with the weeds. I hadn't cultivated
seriously for quite some time, so I have quite a row to hoe sort of speaking...
Literally! <-;

RE: Alder weed
Is that the weed that doesn't seem to sucker, but rather *fires* out roots, and
some twenty to thirty feet away pops out anew? Purple veins on deep-green
leaves???

Say, I'm in need of a source of Nitrogen for my compost, and I don't think the
neighbors are going to be too accommodating. Any ideas there? I'm about to ask
a local produce store if I can tap into their garbage, but I don't know if I
can get there with any regularity. I toying with planting Alfalfa this Winter,
but unless I get the roto-tiller running again...

 JB>  you on your crap, and have a good laugh about it later.
 AH>  I'd like to think you've just located one... me.  :-))
 JB>  Right back at ya!!!

 AH> "Do as you would be did by."  It works for me... [chuckle].

I feel like I've been had. <LOL>

All this typing about gardening is going to get me out in the yard again.
Shoot, I have to realizer my limits. Steady as she goes!!!

... James

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

--- Maximus 3.01
 * Origin: -=-= Calgary Organization (403) 242-3221 (1:134/77)