Skriven 2007-01-15 20:33:46 av Ruth Haffly (1:396/45.28)
  Kommentar till text 10459 av Carol Shenkenberger (6:757/1)
Ärende: standing rib roasts
===========================
Hi Carol,

RH> of hunting and fishing; of the 3 boys, Steve is the only one that neve
RH> was that interested in it then or now.

 CS> I'd like to go camping though.  I am not sure if Don would like that
 CS> but he wouldnt mind at least the camper type.  We arent all that
 CS> outdoorsie I guess.

We were both raised with camping as the "norm" for family vacations but
in slightly different manners. My family used tents only; Steve's family
started with tents, moved to a home built on the back of a pick up truck
rig for his parents and sisters (boys still got a tent) and then a
commercial pick up truck slide in.  Then when the kids left home, his
mom & dad bought a motor home.  They sold thelast of a series of them
about a year ago.  My parents gave up camping about 35 years ago for the
most part and went on fly/drive vacations for the most part. There were
a couple of camping trips but only with a couple of the kids, one was to
bring some of my stuff to NC before Steve & I got married.  We tent
camped with the girls; I've written up some of the times we did it while
we were in Europe on here.  Since they've left, we've done more of the
fly/drive thing more out of getting to our main destination quicker or
the weather not being good (ie winter in the northeast when we went for
his parent's 50th anniversary) kind of thing.  I'm not sure how much
more camping we'll do tho.

RH> Hopefully you'll get what you want.  This place was never even close t
RH> our radar screen. One big plus tho is that it's East Coast; with both
RH> sets of parents getting older, it'll be easy to get to them should we
RH> have the need to.

 CS> Well, for us the top pick is Stuttgart Germany, next is the 2 sites in
 CS> England, then the Singapore billet.  Problem is all of those are E7
 CS> billets and I'm E8. We are asking though.  Might be a bit before we
 CS> have an answer.  I dont have to put in my papers til Feb.

 CS> Grin, the rest of the folks here probably think we are nutz.  I bet
 CS> you can understand though.  Life is too short to waste it and if i can
 CS> live 3 years in Europe, I'll take it.  If they want me to move

We understand, as well as those that have been active duty. If you do
get the Germany one, I can reccommend all sorts of things to try, food
and other wise. (G)

 CS> stateside, they have to make it Norfolk.

Here's hoping.

 CS> the older bigger unit.  19cubic feet and 25cubic feet respectively I

RH> We used to have an 18' one but it was in the I-95 roll over.  It
RH> survived; the lid was dented a bit but we knew we wouldn't be able to

 CS> Well if in doubt, hold up on getting another?  If i get retired, I'll
 CS> have a spare.  I can measure it then if you can hold off, and see if
 CS> you can fit it someplace.  I was afterall, just looking to keep it
 CS> unplugged as a backup.

 CS> If I recall right, its about 6ft long, 3 wide, and 4 tall?  Might be a
 CS> little longer and a little shorter. I seem to recall 25cubic feet
 CS> inside?  Electrical cost was about 1.50$ a month or a bit less.  Saved
 CS> much more than that on food bills by having it.

Steve is wanting to go smaller this time; we've got several more moves
ahead of us yet and may end up in smaller housing.  The 10' is as big as
he'll let me go with a freezer, much as I'd like a bigger one at times.
Since we'll be paying for moving, it'll make sense to go with the
smaller one.  I gues I'll do more canning again to make up for not
having a bigger freezer.

---
Catch you later,
Ruth
rchaffly@earthlink.net  FIDO 1:396/45.28

... Myth #1: The computer only does what you tell it to do.

--- PPoint 3.01
 * Origin: Sew! That's My Point (1:396/45.28)