Möte HAM, 16037 texter
Skriven 2004-09-12 15:06:40 av Amsat List (1:323/120.0)
Ärende:
========
AMSAT NEWS SERVICE

ANS-255

ANS is a free, weekly, news and information service of AMSAT North
America, The Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation. ANS reports on
the activities of a worldwide group of Amateur Radio operators who
share an active interest in designing, building, launching and
communicating through analog and digital Amateur Radio satellites.

Please send any amateur satellite news or reports to:
ans-editor@amsat.org
------
In this edition:
* ECHO Schedule Changes
* President's Message
* AMSAT Symposium
* ARISS Update

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-255.01
ECHO Schedule Changes

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 255.01 From AMSAT HQ
SILVER SPRING, MD.  September 12, 2004
To ALL RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-255.01

Due to Tropical Storm Frances, which forced me to take down my antennas,
the Echo schedule has been changed. We will postpone the PSK31 test
until Tuesday 14 September. See below.

FM Repeat -- 2 Sept through 10 Sept

Echo is back in FM repeat mode on 435.300 mhz downlink. The BBS is closed.

Command Station Testing - 11 Sept until 14 Sept

On 11 Sept Echo will be turned off for all user activity, to allow
testing by command stations on the 38k4 high speed digital system. Plans
are to first test the 38k4 downlink on UHF (435.150), and then move to S
Band (2401.200). During testing the high speed digital downlink will be
turned on for complete orbits. Not just over a command station as during
past tests. Echo will send Telemetry data on the 38k4 downlink just as
it does now at 9k6. Therefore stations with 38k4 capability are welcome
to monitor and test their ability to "make bits" at 38k4.

TXB (435.300) will be off during this work.

Rescheduled Experimenters Day (rescheduled from 8 Sep) for 14 September

The plan for is to test the feasibility of running PSK31 on Echo. As
before, reports to the amsat-bb will be needed. I am not setup for this
mode so I need your feedback to know if it works.

Uplink: 10 meter band: 28.140 mhz USB PSK31 ONLY
Downlink: 435.300 mhz FM, Continuous Transmission, Power level to be
determined

The 9k6 digital downlink will most likely be off during the test.

Experimenters Wednesday for 15 September

Tentatively scheduled will be a test of the 38k4 digital downlink
allowing user access. The exact mode will be determined by the command
station testing detailed above.

Uplink: TBD Freq, 9k6 Digital, Pacsat Broadcast Protocol (PBP)
Downlink: TBD Freq, 38k4 Digital, PBP

Other Items

Power Consumption looked good while we were running the Mode L/S test on
Wednesday. So look for more Mode L/S in the future.

Check back to this page for the latest updates, plans, and schedule.

73 KE4AZN
Echo Command Team

[ANS thanks KE4AZN]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-255.02
President's Message

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 227.02 From AMSAT HQ
SILVER SPRING, MD.  September 12, 2004
To ALL RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-255.02

Labor Day, has come and gone, now its back to work again, and also to get
ready for our Annual Meeting and 22nd Space Symposium in  the Crowne Plaza
National Airport Hotel Arlington Va.
Our reserved rooms, at a great rate, are  not available after the 15th of
September, so book now and get the AMSAT rate. I  have received some
reports of a
problem with the hotel computer, I understand  that that problem has noe
been
fixed and rooms are still available  until  Wednesday September 15th.
Call 1-703-416-1600 and ask for the AMSAT/ARISS  special rates ($89/day).
I have had the opportunity to review the Agenda for the AMSAT portion of
  the
meeting, and believe me when I say it looks as though it will be the best
meeting ever, Frank Bauer (KA3HDO) and his team are doing a great job in
organizing the meeting asnd making all the appropriate arrangements.
As usual there will be a number of fantastic prizes to be drawn for at the
Saturday evening Banquet including at least one full satellite  transceiver.
All "President's Club" Gold and Silver members are invited to the
President's Club reception on the Friday Evening together with All AMSAT
  Officers and
members of the "EAGLE" and "ECHO" teams. One more it will be my
pleasure to
Act as Host to this event and to introduce the Gold and Silver  Members
to the
AMSAT workers!
This year will be unique in that we are holding the Board of  Directors
meeting before the Annual meeting and Space Symposium, so that  the
delegated will
be able to meet the new President after his election by the  Board. At that
time I will then be the Immediate Past President and I am looking
forward to my
retirement as President.
It is appropriate that we change Presidents every few years to generate
new
ideas and keep AMSAT-NA as an up to date organization.
Next week we will see the results of this years elections for the Board of
Directors, and whoever is elected I look forward to working with my
collegues
on the Board for at least another year, Good Luck to All.
As I noted above, I will no longer be the AMSAT-NA President after October
7th, thus this will be my last "President's monthly letter" it only
remains for
  me to say that I have enjoyed serving you as President and I look
forward to
  being active in the Organization for many more years to come.
73
Robin Haighton VE3FRH
President AMSAT-NA

/EX
SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-255.03
AMSAT Symposium

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 255.03 From AMSAT HQ
SILVER SPRING, MD.  September 12, 2004
To ALL RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-255.03

The annual AMSAT Symposium will be held in Washington, DC in
about 4 weeks.  If you plan to attend, please make reservations now. It
will be a great place to let your opinion be heard on all matters
relating to our AMSAT organization.  The general meeting will be the
forum to introduce YOUR ideas and concerns.
There will also be a banquet on Saturday night to enjoy the fellowship
of AMSAT members.  Help celebrate our 35th Anniversary with your
attendance. Symposium October 7th thru 10th followed by the ARISS
committee meeting starting Monday the 11th. See the AMSAT website for
all the details.

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-255.04
ARISS Update

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 255.04 From AMSAT HQ
SILVER SPRING, MD.  September 12, 2004
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-255.04

1.	Upcoming School Contacts

Kingston Community School in Kingston SE, South Australia has been
scheduled for an ARISS contact via the telebridge station, NN1SS.  It
will take place on Friday, September 10, at 0752 UTC.

Aoyama Gakuin Elementary School in Tokyo, Japan will also experience a
contact with the ISS.  It has been scheduled for Friday, September 17,
at 17:07 UTC.

2.  ARRL Article on Pennsylvania School Contact

The ARRL ran a web story on the August 27 Upper St. Clair High School
contact.
The article provides a link to an audio of the contact.  See “Life in
Space Fun, Challenging, Astronaut Tells Pennsylvania Students,ö at:
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/09/03/1/?nc=1

3.	ARRL Article on New Kenwood Mode

The ARISS team successfully tested the Kenwood repeater mode during an
ISS pass on Saturday, August 28. The ARRL ran a web story entitled,
“ARISS Puts ISS Phase 2 Equipment to Use as FM "EasySat".ö	See:
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/08/30/1/?nc=1

4.	ARISS Radios Cycled

The ARISS radio systems were turned off on September 2 at 1700 UTC in
preparation of Expedition 9’s fourth EVA. The spacewalk began on Friday,
September 3 at 1650 UTC, and ended 5 hours and 21 minutes later.  The
crew turned on the radios before the end of the day, which was earlier
than anticipated, and the radio is now in packet mode.

5.	ARISS Photos Displayed at Japan’s Hamfest

JAIA Ham Fair, Japan’s largest hamfest, was held at Tokyo’s Big Sight
International Convention Center on August 21 –22.  Manufacturers and
dealers, as well as 170 radio clubs, all had exhibit booths at this
event. The ARISS U.S. team provided photographs of the ARISS radio
equipment in the Service Module to Hiroto Watarikawa, JJ1LYU.  A
modified Kenwood D700E, which looks like the flight radio, and the ARISS
supplied photos were used as part of an exhibit in the Kenwood Booth.
More than 30,000 people attended the event.

6. Mike Fincke May Participate in Upcoming Events

Mike Fincke has expressed interest in participating in two upcoming
events.  The first event, “The Long Night of the Stars,ö is an open
house at the control center of ESA ESOC in Darmstadt, Germany, which
will be held on Saturday, September 18. The second event is the Marina
Air Fair which will be held in Marina,California on Saturday, October
16.  Should he decide to do so, Mike’s participation in these events
will be handled as informal dialog, similar to that of Field Day.

7.	ARRL Sponsors Teachers Institute

ARRL sponsored its first Education and Technology Program (ETP) Teachers
Institute the second week of August. Mark Spencer involved the
participating teachers in hands-on activities for integrating wireless
technology, Amateur Radio, ARISS and other space-related activities into
math and science classrooms.  By the end of the week, the teachers had
enjoyed themselves so much, that they said they weren't ready to go
home. See ARRL’s article, “First "Big Project" Teachers Institute Under
Way,ö at:  http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/08/10/1/?nc=1

[TNX SAREX Team for info]

73,
This week's ANS editor,
Dee Interdonato, NB2F  -  NB2F at AMSAT.org

/EX
----
Via the ans mailing list at AMSAT.ORG courtesy of AMSAT-NA.

--- ViaMAIL!/WC v1.60d
 * Origin: Chowdanet (401-331-0615) telnet://chowdanet.com  (1:323/120)