Skriven 2006-05-09 12:39:00 av MICHAEL LOO (1:123/140)
     Kommentar till en text av JIM WELLER
Ärende: parallel universes 642
==============================
 -=> Jim Weller said to All <=-

 JW> A Breatharian is someone who believes that food and possibly water are
 JW> not necessary for human sustenance. Breatharians claim that the body
 JW> can be sustained solely by prana (the vital life force in Hinduism), or
 JW> according to some, by the energy in sunlight.

There have been cases of persons of greater purity than Ellen Greve
eating very little for very long periods, and even they had to be
sustained by a bit of nourishment at times. Plus they were very
skinny, which by the pictures, Ellen Greve isn't particularly.

 JW> Recently some groups such as the Breatharian Institute of America have
 JW> promoted the practice as an option for anybody, once the proper
 JW> techniques for accessing it are made known.

I wonder who's going to be Libertarian enough to allow these
guys to go unchallenged. Interesting thought - the doctrine
is clearly a public menace, but Darwin is just shouting out
from the other side, "come on down!" I don't think that suicide
should be a crime, but encouraging it, I don't quite know.

 JW> Current scientific theories about nutrition and generally accepted
 JW> common sense both indicate that a person who followed this practice in
 JW> the long term would die of starvation (if abstaining from food) or
 JW> dehydration (if abstaining from food and water). Breatharians have
 JW> seldom submitted themselves to medical testing and currently there is
 JW> no evidence to support their claims.
 JW> And yet Jasmuheen (born Ellen Greve), probably the most famous
 JW> advocate of Breatharianism during the 1990s, claims "I can go for
 JW> months and months without having anything at all other than a cup of
 JW> tea. My body runs on a different kind of nourishment." Several
 JW> interviewers found her house full of food, but she claimed the food was
 JW> for her husband.

Uh, okay. I wonder why the husband tolerates this. Maybe
he has an interesting angle on the operation himself?

 JW> In 1999, she volunteered to be monitored closely by Australia's 60
 JW> Minutes for one week without eating to demonstrate her methods. Greve
 JW> claimed that she failed because on the first day of the test she had
 JW> been confined in a hotel room near a busy road, saying that the stress
 JW> and pollution kept her from getting the nutrients she needed from the
 JW> air. "I asked for fresh air. Seventy percent of my nutrients come from
 JW> fresh air. I couldn't even breathe."

What this article omits is that apparently after the fresh
air dodge, the TV guys cornered her into agreeing to go to
a place with nice fresh air for a few days, and after two
more days of enforced not eating, she started showing signs
of dehydration and undernourishment - all her vitals were
altered, so the network, afraid of liability issues and/or
bad publicity, called off the experiment. What the person
should have done: say, oh, no, I'll just not eat for a few
more days, just watch. What the TV guys should have done
in the first place: gotten a waiver from the loony and
watched her starve on camera. One fewer mad guru, who cares.

 -=> Jim Weller said to Dave Sacerdote <=-

 DS> Also, in a quantum universe with infinite realities branched at
 DS> each decision, I'm playing the sax somewhere.  And I'm hauling
 DS> lobster traps somewhere else.  And I'm pushing up daisies
 DS> somewhere.  And... [g]
 JW> Are there any soft-spoken politically correct vegan Daves out there?
 JW> (Vegans are vegetarians who eschew pork in case you didn't know.) [G]

I don't believe in an infinity of infinities of universes. There
are things that are too illogical to havean  even infinitesmally
tiny probability - such as world peace, breatharianism working,
or a vegan Dave.

ANGLED LUFFA AND SHRIMP IN FINE SHRIMP SAUCE
cat: shellfish, vegetable
Servings: 4

1 Tb Fine Shrimp Sauce
2 Tb oil
5 oz shrimp, peeled, deveined, rinsed, dried
14 oz angled luffa
- [peeled the hard skin and cut into pieces]
1/2 ts sugar
2 Tb water
1 ts cornstarch dissolved in
1 Tb water

Saute Lee Kum Kee Fine Shrimp Sauce in oil. Add shrimps
and stir-fry until half done. Stir in angled luffa,
sugar, and water. Cover and cook for 2 min or until
angled luffa is tender. Stir in cornstarch water and
heat through.

Source: Lee Kum Kee

___ Blue Wave/386 v2.30
 * Origin: Try Our Web Based QWK: DOCSPLACE.ORG (1:123/140)