Skriven 2007-09-02 18:59:10 av Carol Shenkenberger (1:275/100)
  Kommentar till text 19875 av Ruth Haffly (1:396/45.28)
Ärende: Re: PREDICTIONS 648 70615
=================================
*** Quoting Ruth Haffly from a message to Carol Shenkenberger ***

 CS> Seems so.  My standard of 'fat' may be a bit wider than Steve's but it
 CS> isnt too far off.  They sent out the stats agan on the remedial

 CS> 'over fat'.  The rest failed the run time requirements (a true hard
 CS> thing for us being at sea so much and when on land, in 3 bottle
 CS> weather generally).

RH> That's something I know very little about.  I know the first time Stev
RH> took a PT test at Fort Huachuca (shortly after arrival), the higher
RH> altitude gave him trouble.  Oour water bottle consumption has dropped

Navy has rules that you can not have to take a PRT with less than 10 weeks to
acclimate to an area.  It's for reasons like that.  Before we changed tot hat
rule, there were an unacceptable number of people who had heart attacks and
such when trying to push their systems too hard to get ready too fast.

We are a little worried about a new change.  The Co can now cxal for a PRT
anytime with no warning.  Used to be we had 10 weeks warning.  The idea is to
always be ready (no harm in that) but unwise use could have a ship pull in
after months at sea and PRT the next day.  Major failure can be expected
because there's just no place to run much on most ships.  People keep fit with
weight lifting for the most part.

What worries me is the FDNF really *do* abide by the program as best as they
can and this was designed for shoreduty stateside folks who cant manage the
basic program we already have.  If they'd just use the existing program
correctly, we wouldnt have this problem.

 CS> I know the story on 3 of those 11.  They recently arrived (last 4
 CS> months) and were overweight when they came here.  Our ship (and most
 CS> to someone else to deal with.

RH> They should slim down fast if they adapt to the lifestyle.

Yes, should.  Most do though it's a rude shock to them to be told 'trim down or
get the hell out'.  They've 'heard that' before but never been a place where
it is taken seriously.

 CS> The idea is anyone can mess up once.  Happens by accident you may just
 CS> not realize you were that far out of shape, but twice in a row is not
 CS> acceptable and 3rd time 'fix it or out'.

RH> Steve could fill you in better on Army regs, as I'm sure he has. (G)

Possibly, I seem to recall the Army run is 2 miles for example.  Not 1.5 nor
the Marine 3 mile run.

 CS> Ohh.  I vaguely recall them trying to lay out a track on the Fort
 CS> Mchenry (last ship). They are using to running 5 abreast or so and
 CS> there was no way to do more than 2, and the line was forever!  The
 CS> front got to where the other guys were trying to wait their time to
 CS> start and that was kinda it <g>.

RH> That could be a bit of a problem; the units do tend to stretch out.

Yup.  Didnt work too well <g>.

 CS> scraped knees and elbows though they had looked mighty cute to my eyes
 CS> in them little shorty shorts and cut down T's til they went 'boom' on
 CS> the non-skid.

RH> No fun.  BTW, the Army wears full cut T's.

Couldnt have told it from that bunch!  Then again, this was 4 or more years
ago and well away from the eyes of anyone who cared about what Army PT
uniforms are supposed to be like.  They may have taken advantage of that <g>.

 CS> I think so, as well as we dont *see* fat people as often here.  Most
 CS> are the wives or husbands of active duty ands they tend to trim down a
 CS> bit here too. It's partly diet, and partly lifestyle.  People
 CS> stateside do not walk 3 mile round trips and carry groceries back.
 CS> Here, that is more common than taking the car.

RH> I might have trouble with that with the foot still.

Yes, but we'd adapt.  For example, no one *cares* what footwear you use here.
You use what works for the situation and heels are very rare to see.  A flat
set of hiking boots peeking out under a skirt at church, is normal and
considered a more dressy thing than sneakers (also acceptable at church here).

You'd get a kick out of the church wear here.  Dressy silky stuff with your
best reeboks....

Humm!  I don't think I mentioned this but stockings are rare too.  Too hot for
pantyhose until we hit the cold season then it is tights and thigh-high socks.

Yeah i know.  We be wierd.  Comfortable, but wierd!

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Japanese Kamaboko, xxcarol
 Categories: Xxcarol, Japan, Seafood
      Yield: 8 Servings

     10 oz Firm white fish, debone/skin
      2 ea Egg whites
    1/4 c  Sake
      2 tb Sugar
      1 ts Salt
    1/8 ts White pepper
    1/3 c  Cornstarch
    1/2 c  Dashi
      1 ea Egg for eggwash, 1 ts sake

  Ever seen those pretty fish rolls with the pink or green exterior?
  This is them, sans the added food coloring.

  Using a food processor is almost required for this one but the
  Japanese use a hand type, not electric.  Chop the fish to a paste
  then add the egg whites.  Mix the sake and sugar untl the sugar is
  desolved then add to the fish mix.  Season with the salt and pepper.
  Add the cornstarch to the dashi until it is disolved then add to the
  processor and let mix until all is well blended.

  Lay the fish out on a Maki-su (bamboo mat, also called sushi mat) if
  you have one, with a towel or cheese cloth underneath.  If you dont
  have the mat, dont despair as it will taste the same rolled on wax
  paper, just not be as pretty shaped.  Remove from Maki-su (or wax
  paper) leaving cheese cloth or towel on, and place in a steamer for
  30 mins.  Let cool 30-60 mins on a rack before removing outer cloth
  covering.

  Mix the egg-wash by adding the egg, teaspoon of Sake, and a pinch of
  sugar (food coloring too if desired), and brush this on with a pastry
  brush then broil a few seconds a few inches from the heat, watching
  to make sure it doesnt burn.

  Thats all!  Glaze set too.

  From the kitchen of:  xxcarol

MMMMM

Shawn, I don't expect you to feel well enough to *make* Kamoboko, but I added
this one to remember to mention is as a good soft item.  It normally has a
pink exterior (food coloring, might be green) and sme sort of food colored
center core.

The product can be used in many ways.  Sliced and steamed to hot, added to
soups (tends to fall apart pretty fast so add to simmering soup then turn the
heat off and serve letting it warm in the soup), or fried lightly in a little
oil.

Another item for you but not exported, is tofu.  Lightly cook it in just about
anything you like.  Caution on using too much hot spice just now I expect.

Another too simple to MM, is to mash up a bannana with a little honey and fry
it in small balls with butter.

                                       xxcarol

--- Telegard v3.09.g2-sp4
 * Origin: SHENK'S EXPRESS, Sasebo Japan 81-6160-527330 (1:275/100)