Skriven 2006-07-07 16:44:00 av JIM WELLER (1:123/140)
     Kommentar till en text av SEAN DENNIS
Ärende: oddities 905
====================
 -=> Quoting Sean Dennis to Dave Sacerdote <=-

 SD> One of the hardest things I've ever had to do was deal with deceased
 SD> pets.  One of our cats had an entire litter that had passed on and that
 SD> was not fun.  What was worse, interestingly, was when one of my fish
 SD> died.  I gave him the "one-flush salute" and I felt absolutely terrible
 SD> about it.  I felt it was inhumane, even if he was just a little lemon
 SD> tetra.

I have grieved over favourite dogs but never felt all too badly over
"lesser" animals. I worried over dead frogs and fish but only because
Neekha was in her formative years and I was concerned over her reaction.
Turned out I didn't have to. The first pet we had after she was born was
an African diving frog. It died in 2 weeks from some weird fungal
disease. I cleaned the bowl and bought a look a like replacement. She
looked at it dubiously but didn't say anything. I guess I didn't clean
the bowl well enough because it karked in 48 hours from fungus. This
time she discovered it. We wrapped it in tissue and flushed it with a
little ceremony. I told her I would get a new one. She said, "No! You've
already killed two." Later she added, "You frog murderer you."

MMMMM-----Meal-Master - formatted by MMCONV  2.10

     Title: Tuna Mustard Seed With Shrimp & Tomato Vinaigrette
Categories: Tuna, Shrimp
  Servings: 4

     12    Shells from
     12 md shrimp (reserve shrimp for
           tuna recipe below)
    1/2 c  Tarragon vinegar
      1 TB Chopped fresh tarragon or
      1 ts dried tarragon
    1/2 c  Tomato Fondue
    3/4 c  Olive oil
           Coarse or kosher salt and
           freshly ground pepper
      2 lb tuna steak
           Coarse or kosher salt and
           freshly ground pepper
      2    Egg whites, lightly beaten
      2 TB Dijon mustard
      4 TB Mustard seeds
      4 TB Fresh bread crumbs
    1/2 c  Olive oil for sauteing tuna
     12 md shrimp, peeled and deveined
           Olive oil or Ginger oil for
           sauteing watercress and
           corn
      2 bn Watercress
    1/2 c  Cooked corn kernels
      1 TB Soy sauce
      1 ts Chopped ginger
      1 TB Honey
      8    Beer batter fried onion
           rings
           Watercress sprigs

Combine shrimp shells, vinegar, and chopped tarragon in a saucepan.
Bring to a simmer and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until liquid is reduced
by half. Strain and discard shells and tarragon. Return liquid to
saucepan. Add Tomato Fondue and gradually whisk in olive oil over low
heat. Season to taste. Reserve

Cut steak into 4 portions. Portion will be thick and look like logs.
Season steak. Combine egg whites and Dijon mustard. Mix well. Coat tuna
steaks with egg mixture. Combine mustard seeds and bread crumbs. Mix
well. Coat tuna steaks with bread crumb mixture. Heat oil in a saute
pan. Add tuna steaks and cook over medium heat turning steaks from side
to side until golden brown on all sides, approximately 30 seconds on
each side for a total of 2 minutes. Do not over cook. Tuna steaks are
best rare to medium rare. Remove tuna steaks from pan and keep warm.
Season shrimp with salt and pepper and cook quickly in saute pan for 1
to 2 minutes, turning until shrimp are firm. Remove from pan and keep
warm. Drain oil from pan and wipe clean with a paper towel. Add olive
oil or ginger oil to pan. Add watercress and corn. Stir to mix. Add soy
sauce, ginger and honey and cook stirring, for 30 seconds. Season to
taste. *To Build This Dish:* Place watercress-corn mixture in center of
4 dinner plates. Spoon Tomato Vinaigrette around perimeter of each
plate. With a very sharp knife, cut each tuna steak in half, on the
bias, and place on the plates. Place 3 shrimp on each tuna steak,
linking shrimp together. Place 1 or 2 Beer-Batter Fried Onion Rings on
shrimp and garnish with watercress sprigs.

By: David Burke

From: Starchef

Cheers

Jim, in Yellowknife

... What do restaurants do with frog arms?
___ Blue Wave/386 v2.30
 * Origin: Try Our Web Based QWK: DOCSPLACE.ORG (1:123/140)