Skriven 2009-04-08 12:26:13 av Carol Shenkenberger (29613.cooks)
  Kommentar till text 23021 av Sean Dennis (1:18/200)
Ärende: A little goes a long way
================================

 >  CS> Thats true.  In his case, he's swapped to a happy enough medium for
 >  CS> the daughter's needs (and his).  There's several ways to skin this eel
 >  CS> ;-)
 >
 > Yep.  What I wrote was just my take on it; each person is different on how t
 > treat their diabetes.

It was one of the earlier things i learned about when listening to others and
how it affects them.  Like, some do well on an Adkins type diet (those
without cholestrol problems presumably) and others find they spike with just
about everything other than 'rabbit food' (and generally seem to end up on
insulin pumps if so).

 > I am trying very hard to get down to "size".  I'd lik
 > for my wife to see that I can be handsome and not a mean, fat curmudgeon. :)

Hehehehe she may miss the nice curves though later!  Still, work it down
slowly.  In all my time, I've never seen anyone lose weight 'fast' *and* keep
it off.  It seems to me the ones who usually 'win' in the end on the battle
use a combination of diet shift and moderate but frequent exercise.  You
know, reduce the calories and fats but not drastically, and get 15 mins a day
of some sort of exercise (vary it, walk or even slow jog every other day,
ride a bike the alternating days, do some gardening on the weekend.)

 >  >> Meat: I particularly like turkey burger.  Lean, pretty tasty, but
 >
 >  CS> Same here, different reasons.  (High chol and no pills please).  I

Forgot to mention I don't do much ground turkey or chicken, but i normally
have some in the chest freezer for a dish.  Right now, I have a turkey sauage
sort of thing, Jimmy Dean sort (may not be that brand but you know the sort
of rounded rolls they have).

 >  CS> results pending now that we've been stateside.  I doubt it's as low as
 >  CS> the 129 reading of Japan, but it wont be the 400's of stateside
 >  CS> either.

 > As long as you keep working on it.  I'm on simvastatin (Zocor) in concurrent
 > treatment with gemfibrozil (anti-lipid, plays with the liver).  Those two ar
 > actually a bit dangerous together because if you don't watch it, you can get
 > myopathy and that's life-threatening.  But so far, so good.  I go in on May
 > for a blood workup and we'll see from there.  My A1C is something like 10%,
 > which is very high...but that was a year ago; let's see what happens.

I prefer to treat everything by diet as much as possible.  I know that isnt
always possible, but so far I've been able to manage it.

 >  CS> The worst part of bad teeth, is if you dont pay careful attention to
 >  CS> nutrition, your overall health can sink fast by eating just 'the easy
 >  CS> soft stuff'.  Then you get dietary ailments too.  Bet you knew that
 >  CS> ;-)
 >
 > I've read that bad teeth can contribute to the onset of diabetes.  I don't k
 > how much faith I'd put in it, but yeah, not having teeth to chew sucks.  I h
 > only four that I can use in my upper jaw and in my lower, I'm missing /all/
 > my molars.  When I chew, it's with care and deliberation; my gums are sore f
 > years of neglect and with the broken teeth in them, it's very, very painful
 > sometimes with harder foods (even chips and crackers).

There comes a stage where your eating habits can get so bad with bad teeth if
not very careful, it can cause really bad stuff.  It takes time for a
nutitional gap to show, but as you get older it can cause a lifelong issue.
Most classic obvious one is women who dont get enough calcium start to fall
apart in their 50's and calcium suppliments by then can only hold it where it
is, not repair it.

You are a sane sort though so I'm sure you know to keep eating carrots and
thing like that, just cooked so you can handle them.  On the diabetes and bad
teeth, I suspect it goes like Don's Japanese Doc (a Dietary interested one,
not sure you were reading much when I talked about him as it was a few years
back).  Anyways, Don's Doc explained alot of things including that bad teeth
and diabetes can go hand in hand for 2 reasons.

1.  The bad teeth can cause a higher incidence of eating only soft foods,
most of which are sweets.  This then helps rot the teeth even faster and the
higher sugar intake isnt helping if predisposed to diabetes.

2. Diabetes itself can do a number on the gums and the shift of a higher
blood sugar seems to aide tooth decay.

1 is caustive, 2 is after effect.  In tandem, you get a double whammy.

 > I wouldn't want to wish this on anyone...and it looks like at the rate I'm
 > going, it will be a full upper denture and a partial lower.  I'm doing anyth
 > I can to prevent my having to get a full lower denture.

Eventually you will have to but your dentist can help alot there.  I would
have all those teeth that are broken at the gum line pulled out, even if you
cant replace right now.  There's a high danger of infection from them. When
Don breaks one off, we go as soon as we can to have to removed.  He's got
enough molars left to still chew well enough.  No front uppers and several
missing lower front ones.  He has a partial for the uppers but no longer
bothers to wear it (has to be refitted but he no longer really cares about
it, comfy enough to wear he says for 4-5 hours on the rare time we do
something dress up that he feels like putting them in).

 >  >> Cheese: I hate to say it, but I can't find anything to substitute
 >
 >  CS> Me too and one of the hardest for me still. I did find something that
 >  CS> helps me though.  I took to small bits of very strong cheeses.  Stinky
 >  CS> cheese we call it here ;-)
 >
 > Ah, yes. :)  That's my hardest one to kick too...I do have some Colby Jack i
 > the fridge, but that's an occasional nibble.

Oh I go much stronger than that!  Aged Bries, Romanos, etc.  Nice hard ones
that you can just chip off a pellet and suck on for 15 mins ;-)

 > I rarely eat eggs (as in scrambled, fried, et al.) as I wasn't raised on eat
 > a lot of eggs.  Same with salt, although I do like to add a little salt at
 > times, but pepper is my favorite.

I don;t often eat eggs, but I do sometimes.  I just make sure i don't binge
on them all the time.  I often add them to breadmaker recipes.

 >  CS> Yeah portion size.  Some of those (snipped) were quite useful for
 >  CS> sizing!
 >
 > If you'd like, I can scan some of this stuff and email it to you.  Getting i
 > in my MOVE class from the VA; really good info.

Hey, it would be handy in my file base!  I was thinking to add a cooking
section there with a copy of MM and some exports.

 >  CS> You'll get there on the weight loss, but it will probably take
 >  CS> longer.
 >
 > Yeah, it took a decade-plus to get to this weight; it's going to take a whil
 > to get it off.

The Navy revised the weight loss program.  They finally realized you can't
lose 20% of the excess per month til you hit weight goal and keep it off.
2-3 years is a reasonable goal time for the 50 lbs I gather you would like to
drop.  The first 30 may come off the first year but the last 20 will take 2
years.  Thats what they say at least.

 >  CS> At 5"1' and 123 lbs, I am heavier than I was til age 40 or so and
 >  CS> technically over what the Doc's 'prefer' by some 15 lbs.
 >
 > Hopefully you'll have luck with the weight loss.  Mine's slow-going, but it'
 > getting there.

Naw, I'm not dieting ;-)  The Doc's goals are 105-115 for my height so I
split the differnce to come up with 15 lbs roughly over.  Navy says i can
weigh up to 148 (I think that was it) so as you can see, I'm not that far
off.  I'm perfectly happy with the curves I have except a slight bit more
'mommy tummy' than I'd like but I also know that's a body shape I was built
to have so even when I drop to 105, it's still there in the same proportion.
I range from a size 10P to a size 12P in almost everything which is hardly
huge.  I'm happy overall just where I am.  (When's the last time you heard a
lady say that one?  giggles!)

 >  CS> Slight break, moved the beef stew off to the bigger pot on the stove.
 >
 > We need a stew pot, period. :)  One of the priorities for us is to get new p
 > and pans-good quality ones also-as the ones we have are pretty much worn off
 > No more non-stick either; I don't like how the Teflon coating has come off s
 > of our pans.

I have some quality teflon ones with cast iron core between heavy steel.
They didnt cost that much either.  Don got them for us both for Xmas one
year.  I also have some mismatched stuff from ages of moving, some of which
is dreck and some of which is very good.

 >  CS> It's on low.  It is too small for Momma Crock and too big for Baby
 >  CS> crock, so extra water added and on the stove.
 >
 > That sounds good.  We're trying to use our crock pot more for dinner-type
 > meals.

I'll post later how I adapted it in full, but it came out really GOOD.

 >       Title: Slow Cooked Barbecued Spareribs

This can be adapted for the crockpot believe it or not!

 >     3/4 c  Ketchup
Try a can of crushed tomatoes instead ;-)

 >     1/2 c  Cider vinegar
 >       2 tb Hot sauce
 >       1 md Onion, grated
 >       3    Garlic cloves, minced
 >       1 tb Worcestershire sauce
 >       1    Rack of pork ribs, about 4
 >            -pounds
 >            This is a pretty typical US
 >            -BBQ treatment.
 >
 >   Combine the ketchup, vinegar, hot sauce, onion, garlic and
 >   Worcestershire sauce in a mixing bowl and stir until blended.  Pour
 >   half of the sauce into a glass baking dish large enough to hold the
 >   ribs in a single layer. Place the ribs meaty side down in the sauce.
 >   Pour remaining sauce over; cover and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.

Here, to adapt you break off.  Take the ribs and just lift them out of the
marinade allowing as much to stay on them as wants to.  Place in crockpot on
high.  This will result in an almost steamed rib which will be soft and the
bones may actually pull out of the meat.  Once you think the ribs are ready
(I'd say 4 hours on high, 6-8 on low), remove the liner and set it in the
sink to cool a bit.

Once cool enough to handle easily, dump all the fat out.  (You can save this
for something else if desired as it wil make a lovely gravy).

Now, add the marinade left, to the crockpot and turn on high for 30 mins or
so (til it bubbles gently).

This is a simple dish but quite tastey and suitable when you either can't or
do not want to use the grill.  Also because you are defatting it, it will
help lower the calories and cholestrol quite a bit over the original.
Replacing the ketchup with crushed tomatoes will reduce the sugar and
calories as well.
              xxcarol
--- SBBSecho 2.12-Win32
 * Origin: Shenks Express (1:275/100)