Skriven 2010-04-07 11:42:52 av Janis Kracht (1:261/38)
  Kommentar till text 36514 av Ruth Haffly (1:396/45.28)
Ärende: Catching up...AGAIN! :)                                  [1]
Hi Ruth,

>> Hope you folks had a great Easter :)  My daughter and her family came
>> by so we enjoyed ourselves here.... except I cooked and cooked (vbg).
>> Her husband and the boys are now eating grass-fed meats (only), so I
>> made a pot of sauce and meatballs and Rigatoni for lunch.  I was lucky
>> enough to find a 5 1/2 lb. Leg of lamb at the health food store so we
>> had for dinner with roasted potatoes and Italian spinach.  Now my
>> daughter still isn't eating meat - she requested clam sauce and
>> linguine haha.. so I made that while the roast still had about 45
>> minutes to go.

> Sounds good.  We'd just gotten in from our trip the night before so
> didn't really have anything suitable non frozen.  We went out with some
> friends from church to a local (Southern style food) cafeteria.

That sounds really nice :)  Good company and good food :)  I hope your trip
back home went well.

>  Just
> before we went to NY, Kroger had leg of lamb on sale so we got one and
> popped it into the freezer.  Now that we're back, I've got to decide how
> I'm going to fix it.

I stuffed mine with garlic slivers and parsely.. had to forego the usually
included italian cheese because of Eoin's dairy allergies, but it was great.
After I stuffed it I covered it with garlic salt, pepper and thyme.

===Leg of Lamb Roast===

1/4 cup parsley
1/4 cup Italian cheese (Lucatelli romano is best) 2 garlic cloves, sliced

5 1/2 lb. leg of lamb (or any size works with this)

Garlic salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Thyme

Let the roast sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before roasting so that it
cooks evenly.   Preheat the ove to 400F.

Using a sharp knive, make several slits in the roast top and bottom.  Put the
garlic slivers, Italian cheese and parsley in a small bowl and mix well. Place
a bit of the mixture in each of the slits in the roast.  After you are done
stuffing the roast, cover the roast liberally with garlic salt, black pepper
and thyme.

Roast the lamb on a rack in a roasting pan for 10 minutes at 400F.  Reduce the
temperature to 325F.  Roast for 25 minutes per pound until Lamb reaches 150F
internally if you like it rare. Roast until thermometer registers 145F to 150F
for medium-rare, or 160F for well-done. Allow the roast to sit for 10 minutes
before slicing.
===

>> > Sounds like a nice idea; we'd love to see you & Ron again.  We'll
>> also > get to meet the new critters.

>> Yes, that would be super :)  If you have some spare time this week,
>> give us a buzz - you don't have to wait til June (g).  Whatever works

> We're back in NC.  Classes started again yesterday.  We left my parents

Had a feeling :)

> about 2:30 Friday afternoon & drove until about 9, with a few stops. We
> stopped in Hancock & got 4 quarts of maple syrup, some mple candy, maple
> cream, some ginger cookies and granola bars.  We also stopped for supper

That sounds great :)  I used to love stopping for such when we'd go up to
Vermont.

> but spent the night in Martinsburg, WVA.  That got us back home by about
> 5 pm.

Sounds like a good trip :)

>> We took them outside today to play with the kids.. it was quite a
>> scene to watch. Drew, the little guy who is 4 now, would run straight
>> back through the yard.. Sophie and Indy right behind him.. by the time
>> the kids left, the dogs were flopped on the floor exhausted :)

> No surprise there.  The dogs don't have the stamina right now as they're
> so young.  Give them a few more months and they will keep right up with
> Drew and the others.

Lol that is true.. right now they are bundles of energy, and are still taking
several naps throughout the day.  When they're awake, they are 1- buggy Toby to
play, eating the rug off the floor in the mudroom (argh!) or this week at
least, playing with the grandboys :)

>> > at best.  He admitted today that he's not really interested in
>> getting > into too much gardening any more; I guess he's beginning to
>> reallyfeel > his age.

>> I hope this early spring agrees with him.. I know right now I feel
>> pretty wasted but I attribute that to the changing temperatures..
>> (freezing one night, then suddenly the switch to 80's).

> But you don't have the heavy pine pollen we deal with down here. Our car

No, we have a different type.. LOTS of goldenrod and ragweed, though it's early
for it right now.  Main bad season for it is in summer and fall though Spring
is bad sometimes (g).

> is supposed to be a (very) light sage green but it, like just about all
> the other cars in the area, is a not so nice yellow green from the pine
> pollen.  I stay inside as much as possible.

That does sound very bad :(  I can understand your not going out!

>> > We can probably find some information (What can't you find?) on the
>> > internet about garbage can gardening.  The local bears like garbage
>> can

>> That's the truth :)  It's become a popular way of doing things.

> Saves tearing up the ground if you're renting a place like we are.  We
> still get the garden.

Yes, and normally one has at least a few garbage pails to use.. you do have to
pierce them for drainage though.  Don't forget that garden centers such as
those at Loews, etc. will have very large planters you can also use.. better in
some ways since they already are going to drain well.

>> > diving so we'd have to watch out for that.  One of them knocked down
>> the > bird feeder Dad had re-installed last year after a bear got to
>> it but > this year the bear was unable to knock down the pole.  Dad
>> had added
>> > about 240 pounds more of concrete to the base when he put it up last
>> > year.

>> I'd hope they wouldn't care about vegetables but who knows.. if they
>> get into garbage pails, then they just might want to see what's so
>> interesting :)

> I don't know.  It appears there are several bears in the area that
> really like to get their food, etc from garbage cans.  They're a major
> pain; my parents don't even grill outside any more because the bear
> would tear the grill apart if they didn't steam clean every little bit.

That's unfortunate, but a good idea.. It's scary how much the bears are hanging
about, but I understand their problem with all the development these days.

> After raising rumpus all spring, summer & part of fall, they disappear
> during hunting season.

Sure, they probably learned that one quick :(

>> These are feral kittens.. sadly, when we got the pups at first they
>> were very very scared and reverted to their earlier shy behavior.
>> They wouldn't come out at all..  Finally Lulu, the largest of the
>> kittens, decided to try a face on meeting.. she still comes out now
>> and then to see what's going on haha..

>> I'm hoping the other kittens will follow her lead.

> They probably will come out as they realise the pups are there to stay.

You are right, they are coming out more and more.  Today Lola was laying all
over the kitchen tabl haha.. I usually yell at her for that, but figured at
least she's trying.. so I just took off the tablecloth :)  Leo and Lizzy came
out as well at least for a few minutes before retreating.  I can see how
they'll be back to normal in a bit, which is good.

>>> I feel bad for Toby sometimes because as wonderful and patient as he
>>> is (he's really incredible sometimes, putting up with the pups jumping
>>> all over him), he's accosted by the pups day and night.. and right
>>> now, they are mostly teeth and nails :)  I'm still putting the pups in
>>> the 'extra kitchen' at night though after 10PM, with a child-gate,
>>> just so Toby gets some peace when he's sleeping :)

>> > Poor old guy.  Sounds like Rachel's older cat--when they got a puppy
>> a > couple of years ago, she started harassing the cat all the time.
>> The

At least the vet tripped their sharp nails on Monday.. that was a releif :)
Wish he could trim their teeth as well Lol

Take care,
Janis

> ... Gone crazy, be back later. leave a message at the Beep!

--- BBBS/LiI v4.01 Flag
 * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)