Skriven 2008-01-16 14:41:16 av Ruth Haffly (1:396/45.28)
    Kommentar till text 721 av Janis Kracht (1:261/38)
Ärende: BlueWave                                                 [1]
Hi Janis,

>> Ah.. perhaps you can see if your repairman will accept you buying the
>> part online then.. might work out.

 JK> > I'll call him Monday to let him know I've got a handle on the parts
 JK> and > a price.

 JK> Hope that works out :)

Got the repairman to talk to the other place since he knew what he
wanted.  He later told me he'd been looking for a place like this for a
long time (www.vintagesingersewing.com).  The parts are ordered and I
should have my Pfaff sometime next week.

>> Yeah, it was tricky getting it to work, but I figured I had nothing
>> really to lose :)

 JK> > True, and if you've the time and patience, it's worth the try.

 JK> I always felt I had a good handle on my sewing machines.. I guess
 JK> because I learned to sew on one of those ancient Singer machines.. it
 JK> was a model that worked with a treadle.  My grandfather was a sewing
 JK> machine replairman/salesman and he'd put an electric moter on it for
 JK> my grandmother :) That machine never skipped a stitch but you had to

Sounds like it was a challenge but you enjoyed it. My mom got a Singer
in 1950, in the days when you didn't mess with the tension.  She messed
with it early on, messing up the machine so she never really sewed.  So,
for junior high home ec sewing, she got me this fabric thatfrayed if you
looked at it cross eyed. I never finished the project and passed the
course based on higher marks in other units.

 JK> know how to use it, that's for sure... sadly my youngest idiot sister
 JK> took it when Mom broke up the house, and then dumped it :(  I could
 JK> have killed her :)

When my mom gave me the Futura, she took my machine and gave it to my
sister.  About 10 years ago, I asked my sister about it, thinking I
could get it for a back up.  She told me she'd sold it off.  I found the
next higher model for sale at the repair place I took my Pfaff to (in
AZ) and got it for about $50.  It came in handy when the mother board on
the Pfaff died in the middle of a rush project.  Finished it by hauling
out the old Singer, then Steve got me the XL 5000.  Bought the Brother a
couple of years later as a lighter weight back up/take to class &
elsewhere machine.

>> 1979 or something..  What a great machine that was :)  I made all the
>> kids clothes plus a bunch for myself :)

 JK> > I made quite a bit of clothes for the girls, me (and some for) Steve
 JK> > over the years.  Rachel's wedding dress (and the other girl's
 JK> dresses) > were made on the Pfaff; I've also done a lot of other

One summer (before Steve went into the Army) I made him a 3 piece suit.
At the time I had a 2 year old, an almost 4 year old and did a lot of
freezing & canning of produce, besides making all our bread, etc.
That's why it took so long to make the suit. (G)  But, we ate well over
the winter & Steve joined the Army the following spring.

 JK> Now quilting I only did very rarely.. otherwise, yes, once you can
 JK> sew, everybody in the family seems to have a request <smile>.. I never
 JK> minded.. It's funny too though that my daughter has no interest in
 JK> sewing to the degree that I do (and did..).. She does knit though :)

Both of my daughters know the basics but have too many other
distractions to be as active a sewer as I am.  One is an elementary
teacher in a private, charter school and has a 4 year old boy; the other
is active duty with the AZ NG.  Rachel (the one with the boy) has a
machine identical to mine (We bought mine after giving hers a try after
we bought it for her.) that she uses from time to time as she can.  When
we moved here, we were in guest housing for 6 weeks; Steve bought me an
inexpensive Janome so I could have something to do other than veg out in
front of the television.  We sent it to Deborah when we moved into
housing.

 JK> She knitted the most outrageously beautiful blanket for me for
 JK> Christmas this year :)  But she asked me to make the baby's cloth

Sounds nice.  My mom used to knit until she broke both shoulders.  Both
sisters crochet and I've got small afghans made by each of them.

 JK> diapers for her.. and his clothes this past year.. so that was really
 JK> neat to do for them. I'm working on some overalls and warm pj's for
 JK> him now (the baby is about 20 months old :) )

Fun age!  Be sure you get the flame retardant flannel for pjs.

 JK> > A lot of fun things but more expensive if something goes wrong as
 JK> > it's still a fairly new machine.

 JK> Yes, I expect it should be running well for quite a while though.

We never expected the mother board on the Pfaff to die but figured it
had to do with the flakey power in HI.  First thing we bought after
getting the new machine was an UPS; I run all my machines off it now,
even the mechanical serger.

>> came out with Fedora, IIRC.  Linux is just so stable, I love it.

 JK> > Yes but now something needs tweaking on my system so I can "talk to"
 JK> > some web pages.  He will check it out for me.

 JK> That's good.  It's always neat to have someone who's used to working
 JK> on linux systems "around" <bg>... Over here, it's me.  Actually, my
 JK> son is the one who first convinced me to switch to linux.. after that,

Steve is my "geek" or "guru", depending on what the issue is and how I'm
dealing with life. He's never been a Windows person, ran New Deal Office
as long as he could (it's on my set up).

 JK> since the company he writes software for is released across a number
 JK> of operating systems... so "both" doesn't really quite apply :) It's
 JK> more like "many" <g>.  He's the senior developer/designer for a
 JK> product that is released for about all of them..

Steve has to work with Windows at work but would rather use his home set
up. (G)

>> Sounds like my pepper grinder - I usually use a blend as well. Did you
>> see those disposable pepper corn grinders?  They look handy, but my

 JK> > The disposable ones are good when we pack out and have to live in
 JK> the > quarters for a while longer or move in before we get our stuff.
 JK> We've > bought them for that, or Steve has from time to time when he
 JK> goes TDY > (Temporary Duty) and cooks for himself.  Usually he will

 JK> Makes sense..  I bought this pepper grinder in Louisville, KY when we
 JK> were living there.. it was purchased from a specialty cooking shop..
 JK> they must have loved it when they saw me coming, since I couldn't
 JK> resist buying so many of their wares :)  It was a great shop.. didn't

There's a kitchen ware outlet store about 20 minutes from us; we've hit
it up quite often since we've been here.  Visited the one in town
(closer) but it's retail, high quality stuff--drool items right now. (G)
Sometimes we've found things in the outlet store not available in town
and they're open to 9 vs 6 for the in town one. Yes, I always look for
kitchen ware stores wherever we move to.

 JK> stay open that long though :(  I guess there weren't enough people
 JK> around like me that loved to cook with good equipment, etc.. I think I
 JK> read somewhere at the time that the bulk of the population in
 JK> Louisville liked eating "out" more than in any other cities <grin>

Interesting.  We found a restaurant supply place open to the public when
we were in HI. Had a whole lot we could have gotten (G) but settled on
some neccessary things.  I have (because of it, and Alton Brown)
separate cutting boards for meat & fruit/veggies, both large and small
size.  I also have a couple of wooden cutting boards for breads.

>> > helps control the yeast.

>> Yep, know what you mean.. we're about the same here.

 JK> > Sounds like it--sister! (G)

 JK> Think so  :)

Either that or very close cousins.  If we get up to the Catskills; maybe
we can arrainge a get together.

>>> Here's my recipe for Marina, it's very similar to what you do :)

>> > Enough to float a boat? I want a marinara, not a marina. (G)

>> <Laugh>.. I always have sauce in my fridge.. of some type <grin>.  For

>> CONTINUED IN NEXT MESSAGE <<

---
Catch you later,
Ruth
rchaffly@earthlink.net  FIDO 1:396/45.28

... Get shopping while the gettin' is good!!!

--- PPoint 3.01
 * Origin: Sew! That's My Point (1:396/45.28)