Skriven 2006-07-29 15:09:36 av Carol Shenkenberger (6:757/1)
  Kommentar till text 35019 av Roy Witt (1:1/22)
Ärende: Re: Canadian "Skills"
=============================
*** Quoting Roy Witt from a message to Carol Shenkenberger ***

 CS> his neck so now can drive again (severe arthritis stuff).

RW> Like carpal tunnel? I'm working on a cure for that.

(Joe's arthritis).  Well, Joe's case is some odd type that affects the neck and
hips pretty badly.  Not at all related to Carpal Tunnel. I have that, or
something close to it.  Symptoms close but not the narrowing tunnel for the
nerves.  They havent figured it out and I just learned to live with it.

800 mg Motrims are my friend <G>.

 RW>> fi hub...he was very good at it too. His replacement, John Himes,
 RW>> wasn't nearly as good. John and I went round and round about the way
 RW>> his syst

 CS> I had the misfortune to be under this OZ guy who would be down for
 CS> days at a time then blame me for not connecting.

RW> Sounds like John Himes. The blame game, I mean. I even asked Brenda if
RW> could take his place as I knew I could do a better job than John. That
RW> when she assigned me to Andy.

Yes.  He'd get mad at me for trying to dial in to get my mail, if you can
believe that.

 CS> Fact is by then, I probably made him uncomfortable as i was a better
 CS> hub than he was and was feeding more systems (points with full BBSes
 CS> under them, yes, they paid CRP).  Due to 'conflict of interest' as
 CS> the treasurer though, I didnt want to be a hub.

RW> I wouldn't have minded at the time, as I had a few extra PCs setup the

For me, I just felt 'uncomfortable' with the idea that I'd have to cut my own
downlinks if they didnt pay me on time.  Note, I seldom had to make any 'cuts'
as i'd work with folks and lots of others would donate a few extra dollars and
say 'to whoegver needs it'.  CRP was normally under 5$ a quarter.  I
understand something happened later in the management to make it higher, but
that has no relation to me.  I saw it drop as low as 78cents once.

 CS> Andy was great.  At some point, he was my hub as well.  Funny thing
 CS> is we entered at about the same time and had helped one another get
 CS> setup.

RW> Don't know about when the two of you started, but Andy had more links
RW> other FTNs than anybody I know of. It could be that he was a little bi
RW> more experienced by the time he met you.

Grin, perhaps you misundersand this one.  Andy and i were 'butt buddies' who
setup at the same time.  His experience and mine matched except at the one
point I was doing the CRP thing and he was a hub.  Our othernet experiences
were mostly him as my NC, me RC feeding him and other NC's in west coast.

 CS>   He shifted to hub while I was the Net202 Treasurer.  (I gather the
 CS> fellow who took that over from me at last wasnt nearly as
 CS> careful and there was an interim fellow for a bit who was fired and i
 CS> had to come back in sometime around 1994).

RW> And there were some just like those after you left. I was sick of thei
RW> CRP by 97.

It wasnt managed with the heart along with the need to just pay the bills.  My
system was simple.  If you pay more than the amount and dont expressly add a
note with what to do with that, it goes to offset the next quarter's CRP.  If
you add a note to use it where I think best, a fellow sysop with adversity may
be paid off for their CRP.  If you add a note to put it in the machine fund,
it will be repair money for the mailer.

I can honestly be proud of the early NET202 CRP setup as it was the most fair
one in all Fidonet and many places tried to model off of us.  The only 'bad'
thing I ever did was 'ask' folks to not show up on my doorstep at mid-night to
pay in person, but I never turned anyone away who did that.  (Bitched gently
in the sysop echos but no names mentioned ever on who had done it).  Took
payments at every sysop breakfast or by mail, your choice.  Oh, couldnt
logistically manage advance quarter payments because it was just too many
people and not stable enough in cost. It was after all, home hobby stuff not a
paying job.

RW> If I recall right, there was one person in the net who hosted some of
RW> net computers and they were always going down for some reason or anoth
RW> Brenda finally went to the guys house and picked all of them up and go
RW> them back online, asap.

I think I heard of that.  PC Conect by then too right?

 CS> Yup.  Got voted in 6 months before I finished my stint on the STENNIS
 CS> but told'em we'd need to wait so another fellow took it til i could
 CS> transfer. He did a good job.  6 months or so after that, I was
 CS> appointed as temp RC13 pending election (the old one became Z1C).
 CS> See, I'd made the mistake of saying i wanted to learn more and asked
 CS> some good questions in the regional echo <g>.

RW> LOL! See what you get yourself into...

Well, I B Stupid <g>.

 CS> *chuckle* I'm as complex as a tube sock as said so believe me when I
 CS> say that by now, I know alot about*C things at all levels of the
 CS> game.  I'm not particularily good with filebone, but I can meet any
 CS> need in any other area and can manage that one 'well enough'.

RW> Sounds like it.

I'm still not 'good' with filebone.  Janis is so much better, I cant imagine
the tricks she must know.  I'm a better 'hub' though for message traffic, not
that she's bad.

 CS> never had a fight?

RW> Yes, but we've had our differences too.

Oh sure!  I've had them with many, you not alone in that!

 CS> opposite ends of a situation but even then we were overall decent to
 CS> one another.

RW> I endeavor to be decent to those who reciprocate the same. Those peopl
RW> usually have my respect, whether they're right or wrong.

{smile}.

RW> When I'm attacked or accused of something out of the blue, I retaliate
RW> kind until they're either buried up to their necks in it or call a tru
RW> Some people don't know when to give it up, so they stay on the 'shit'
RW> list.

Yes, thats you.  Me, I divert them mostly and find a common ground.  The only
one i never could do that with, was that R12C fellow who's long gone other
than a no-bogus entry at my mailer.  When I realized at last I just couldnt
even enjoy Fidonet and was about to quit due to his constant flamers at me, I
got some help with how to filter mail out.

Whats never made sense to me was he hated me because my region was more
progressive than his on the same things he beat me up on.  Oh well.  He's gone
and I'm still here.
                                       xxcarol

--- Telegard v3.09.g2-sp4
 * Origin: SHENK'S EXPRESS, Sasebo Japan 81-6160-527330 (6:757/1)