Skriven 2005-02-14 04:22:32 av FidoNews Robot (2:2/2.0)
Ärende: FidoNews 22:07 [02/06]: General Articles
                        GENERAL ARTICLES

                        Lost before we started
                            By Frank Vest
                             1:124/6308.1

 I've been thinking about this for a while and have even brought it up
in conversations. I guess I'll write about it and see what happens....
Maybe I already wrote about it and nothing happened... Oh well. :)

 I've said before that the Internet and Fidonet/BBSs have things in
common with the Internet. I've referred to Fidonet Nodes that operate
BBSs as "Fidonet Service Providers". I'm not sure who coined that
phrase, but it is true. :)

 BBSs, Fidonet or not, do a lot of the same things that the Internet
does. There are files for the users to download, message areas, games,
information, some "lower than the Internet" graphics, but "eye candy"
just the same.

 One thing that the Internet does that I don't find in Fidonet and
BBSs is sharing. Oh sure, you can claim that files are shared since
any user can log on and download them. You can say that message areas
are shared since Fidonet provides the ability to write a message on
one board and have it read on another board. In the latter, you would
be right.

 One thing that BBSs don't seem to do, though, is share their services
with each other. By that, I mean that a user can't log on to BBS#1 and
download a file from BBS#2.... at least not in "real time". A "File
Request" (FREQ) can be made from some boards that allow this, but the
user has to call back later to get the file (if it ever arrives) and
the ability for "browse" a file are on another board is not there.

 Some games have a "shared" scoring, but not a "head to head" "real
time" play. There are other "service" doors that can offer the ability
to sell items and other service and share the information between
boards, but few, if any, take advantage of this.

 In some ways, I can see the reasoning. Legal issues; If an item is
sold and not delivered, is it the responsibility of the BBS owner?? If
a user goes from board 1 to board 2 and downloads illegal products,
who is responsible? These are valid concerns.... but that doesn't seem
to stop the ISPs.

 Now, one might argue that these services are not possible over a
BBS... and they would be wrong. With today's Internet capabilities,
few boards would not be able to handle this. On might argue that they
are not needed since a user can simply log off the BBS and go to
another BBS or site to get files or whatever. While this is true, how
would the Internet survive if their users had to log on to ISP#1 to
get one file and then log off and log on to ISP#2 to get another file?
I'm not talking about simply clicking on a link and surfing to another
site, I'm talking about logging off and then logging back on with user
name and password... or creating a new account. IOW: Log on to AOL,
get a file and the log off and log on to Netscape to get the next
file? No links or surfing between them allowed.

 Ok. That was a long winded article just to ask if any software author
would consider coding a door to provide such a service between
Bulletin Boards. So.....:

 ARE THERE ANY SOFTWARE AUTHORS THAT WOULD BE WILLING TO CODE SUCH A
DOOR?!?!?
:-)

If so, and you want to know more about my thoughts on this, please
feel free to contact me via Netmail.

Regards,
Frank

I'm still here
By Ward Dossche
   2:292/854

Excerpt by LEONARD PELTIER from Harvey Arden's book
"HAVE YOU THOUGHT of LEONARD PELTIER LATELY?"

I'M STILL HERE. I am all at once saddened, exhilarated, angry, proud,
defiant, and puzzled by that fact. Here in prison, after 28 years of
unjust incarceration, I am a living example of the injustice, racism,
fear, and inequity that still exists in some parts of the United
States of America. This is particularly true when it comes to
America's views and actions towards Indian people. Residing in the
best hopes of all of us is the dream that America has moved away from
the days of hostility towards the Indigenous people of this land. And
yet, we are shown with daily regularity, a reality that defies this
dream.  A reality that American Indians are incarcerated at a
disproportionately high rate. A reality that American Indians are
denied decent health care, housing, and education. A reality so dire,
that recently the United States Civil Rights Commission has had to
address it, calling it "A Quiet Crisis".

I'M STILL HERE. Events surrounding my case over the last few years
have been so fascinating, as to have created an excellent mystery
thriller novel. Replete with intrigue, suspicion, manipulation,
falsehoods, secret meetings, intimidation, implications, sexual
innuendo, and higher aspirations--all in the name of justice, I cannot
help but think of what a great movie this would also have made. Maybe
one day it still will, time will tell. Suffice to say, my case and all
it constitutes will continue to impact the history of this country,
and its relations with Native Americans, for generations to come. So
far, my story continues to be one of an innocent man, railroaded in a
rage of fear and vengeance disguised as justice.

I'M STILL HERE. And for as long as I am, my friends and associates at
the Leonard Peltier Defense Committee continue to raise awareness,
fund-raise, and coordinate campaigns on my behalf, so that America and
the world does not forget about me and my case. Where would I be
without friends like Harvey Arden, Arthur Miller, Peter Mattheissen,
Andrea Hornbein, David Hill, and so many others I do not have the time
or room to name, but have been so crucial in continuing this crusade
for Justice? I cannot say for sure, but I imagine I would be much
closer to being another faceless person denied of justice, whose
identity was forgotten as time went by. It has been a series of small
miracles created by a synergy of outstanding individuals. I am so
thankful, and you all should be so proud of what you have
accomplished.

IM STILL HERE. And yet, I like to dream or focus on what I would do if
and when I win my release. It goes without saying that being with
family and loved ones would be a central part of my life for some
period of time. And having been away from the daily experiences of
this country, perhaps traveling and seeing the developments 28 years
can bring would be something I would enjoy. Once acclimated, I do have
plans for the future, particularly concerning the ongoing role of the
Leonard Peltier Defense Committee. Some might think that upon my
release, the LPDC's job would be finished. This is not so. In fact, it
will merely be a new starting point. There is no doubt a need for an
organization that focuses on the incarceration of American Indians,
especially those in jail for political reasons. Surely you didn't
think I was the only American Indian political prisoner, did you? This
country and the world needs to be made more aware of Indians defying
the American government, in accordance with treaty and other laws, and
being locked away for it. We need to raise awareness, and secure the
release of these brothers and sisters. Further, we would become a bona
fide Human Rights organization, linking with other like-minded
organizations and individuals, networking and strategizing to create
coordinated campaigns on a national and international level. Perhaps
we could even help to create world-wide Indigenous initiatives to
address colonization, globalization, and the  terror they inflict on
tribal people around the world.

I'M STILL HERE. I would hope this would resonate in the minds and
hearts of every peace-loving person with an abiding sense of justice
in their consciousness, throughout the world. It has been said by
greater men than me, that as long as any man or woman is in bondage,
none of us are free. I have come to understand those words with a
clarity I cannot describe. As long as Indian people are held captive
to a colonizing and exploiting foreign power, none of us are free. As
long as corporate entities have all the rights and privileges of a
human being, without the responsibilities and accountability of a
human being, none of us are free. As long as anyone is in prison for
political reasons, none of us are free. As long as people cannot
speak, assemble, or worship freely, none of us are free. As long as
injustice and inequity exists, none of us are free. My name is Leonard
Peltier, but I draw breath as the living embodiment of a greater cause
than just one man's freedom. Every nation must include as a part of
its very fiber and rationalization, a constant demand and vigilance
for justice. More than anything, I desire this. I pray for peace and
justice. One cannot truly exist without the other.

I'M STILL HERE.  Now what are we going to do about it?

(signature)
Leonard Peltier

--- Azure/NewsPrep 3.0
 * Origin: Home of the Fidonews (2:2/2.0)