Skriven 2012-02-02 06:12:29 av Roy Witt (1:387/22)
  Kommentar till text 25050 av Roger Nelson (1:3828/7)
Ärende: Facebook
================
01 Feb 12 16:08, Roger Nelson wrote to Roy Witt:

 RW>> RN> I like the good old days.  So do you.  (-:

 RW>> I didn't like the good old days of sitting by the telephone, having
 RW>> a tether tied to me when I had to GO! If you know what I mean. With
 RW>> a cell phone or even a cordless telephone, one can stand/sit on the
 RW>> throne, mute it when it's time to flush and no one is the wiser.

 RN> But that's all we had back in the day.  If you HAD to go, you would
 RN> politely ask whoever you were talking to if you could call them back.

This is why they sold 25 foot extensions for the phone base and another
25 foot handset extension...I don't think I was ever out of throne
distance after that.

 RW>> Magic Jack only costs $20/year and calling Canada is free. So would
 RW>> a call to Germany I suppose, if you make the arrangements before
 RW>> doing so.

 RN> I haven't made up my mind about that yet.

I have two...Magic Jack - which requires a land-line and a computer linked
to the network and Magic Talk, which only requires a computer linked to
the internet. There is now a third version that doesn't need a landline or
a computer, it's called; Magic Jack Plus.

 RW>> That's why I posed the question I did the other day in netmail. MJ
 RW>> can be used to answer BBS calls, if you take the time to config it.
 RW>> I have two MJ phone numbers, one of which could serve that purpose.

 RN> "When you specify an address such as a Hotmail or Yahoo type, you
 RN> should remember that you can also elect to have "Mobile
 RN> notifications" using those services - effectively letting D'Bridge
 RN> notify you via cell phone text- messaging when it has mail for you!"

Yahoo does that and can also notify you that you have messages on
Facebook. No thanks.

 RW>> Yeah, but unlike here, you can use cap letters to say something and
 RW>> most of the folks know what they mean. Instead of PITN, we use
 RW>> PIA...

 RN> You nean abbreviate words like "R U there?"  Gotta pass on that.

U R 2 O F...you are too old fashioned.

 RW>> RN> Monday through (except Tuesday) Friday I do nothing and Saturday
 RW>> and
 RW>> RN> Sunday I rest.

 RW>> Sounds like my dad. He used to say that since he retired, he didn't
 RW>> have enough hours in the day. Which meant that instead of getting up
 RW>> at 5am to go to work, he slept in until 8am. The rest of the day he
 RW>> spent sitting on the porch watching people on their way to work go
 RW>> by or going down to a rail-road crossing and VHS filming a train go
 RW>> by, no commenting, nothing but train nose and his familiar cough
 RW>> heard in the recording.

 RN> The man undoubtedly worked very hard all his life annd was just doing
 RN> what he wanted to.

My old man doing what HE wanted! I suppose. 8^)

 RN> That said, retirement is the #1 killer of old people.

I think it's the boredom that kills old people. You look forward to not
having to work all your life and the next thing you know, that's where
you're at. I was never ready to sit back and do nothing, but here I am!

 RN> Yesterday was a record day for me at the bowling alley and
 RN> videotaping is forbidden there.

Got your 300 game yet?

 RW>> Best part of that is you can text them at any time of day and
 RW>> they'll get it when they turn on their cell phone.

 RN> I know, but it's not the same as hearing their voices.

That's true.

 RW>> I think I downloaded a copy of yours when you put it up...

 RN> I'll send a more recent one.

 RW>> They were attempting to bully my 17yo grandson. He's not a fighter
 RW>> because of his size, so I verbally beat them up for him. They don't
 RW>> know I'm his grandpa.

 RN> Uh-oh.  (-:

 RW>> The FCC has ordered broadcasters to discontinue to raise the volume
 RW>> during commercials. Forget when that's supposed to take affect, it
 RW>> will be in 2012. That will help a great deal to silence them to at
 RW>> least the same level as regular programming.

 RN> That will be a welcome relief and I hope they do the same thing with
 RN> movies on a DVD.

They have commercials on DVDs?

 RN> When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire
 RN> Department usually uses water.

City slickers aren't very bright you know.

The Forrest Service uses fire to fight fire by setting and controlling a
back-fire, which allows both fires to burn toward each other until they
both run out of fuel.

                R\%/itt

  ... Only those who will risk going too far can possibly
  ... find out how far one can go ~ TS Eliot

--- Twit(t) Filter v2.1 (C) 2000-10
 * Origin: SATX Alamo Area Net * South * Texas, USA * (1:387/22)