Skriven 2012-09-10 13:56:44 av mark lewis (1:3634/12.0)
     Kommentar till en text av Robert Bashe (2:2448/44)
Ärende: Pvt nodes vs points
===========================
RB>> It would have been a real problem to check such systems for activity
RB>> if they had no listed domain,

ml> why does a domain need to be listed?

 RB> To poll the system.

binkd doesn't need a domain in the nodelist or in the binkd.txt file to poll
the system... especiallt if there is an entry for the f.n.z.binkp.net DNS
zone...

ml> can you not perform the same f.n.z conversion and try that in the same
ml> way that much FTN software has done for years?

 RB> You can _try_ anything, but things are clearer and simpler if a
 RB> domain is listed.

only to a certain point... but yes, i agree, too...

 RB> Now, since there are apparently so many misunderstandings, let me
 RB> define what I mean...

n misunderstandings over here on my part... remember, i'm trying to help others
to see what they may be missing for things to work fully...

 RB> Most of the IP systems in R24 have dynamic IPs assigned by the
 RB> telco. They get a domain with outfits like DynDNS.

so is mine...

 RB> Mine, as you can see in the Nodelist, is

 RB> abel.dnsalias.net

ok...

 RB> You can poll my system with binkd by adding my node number and
 RB> using the domain. No password required.

i don't want to add everyone to my binkd setup... do you? why not just

  include binkd.txt

in your binkd.cfg after the nodes you specifically define and let it figure out
the math? ;)  we did talk about this a few weeks back :)

 RB> As to the f.n.z. conversion, there's been so much shut down in fido
 RB> over the years that I have no idea if that would even work
 RB> nowadays, and here in R24, at least, people include their domain in
 RB> their listing if they're IP-capable.

f.n.z conversion is default in binkd... specifying a domain is an override,
technically... all you have to do is to contact the person that manages the Z2
DNS zone and ask them to place a CNAME for your static domain name and your
f.n.z will work... some of the binkp.net zone managers have set up something so
that RCs can manage the entries in their region... there might even be a
regional DNS zone manager... some zone managers have also done the same so that
NCs can manage the entries for their nets or there may even be network zone
managers... over here, i just contact the z1.binkp.net DNS zone manager and ask
them to add or remove entries for my net members and the other addresses that
pertain to my system... 1:1/120 (aka f120.n1.z1.binkp.net) is one of those that
might be controlled by someone other than myself...

ml> what do you do when you see a domain listed?

 RB> I add it to my binkd.cfg and poll it. If it responds, and it
 RB> generally does, I know the system is active. That naturally says
 RB> nothing about whether it's on autopilot or not, but at least it
 RB> exists.

that's too much work adding and removing... this has already been done for you
with the binkd.txt file ;) granted, a new one hasn't been published in the last
few weeks but...

ml> for the f.n.z dns domain format, the binkd guys have set up binkp.net
ml> since fidonet.net got lost some time back...

 RB> Aha! This is exactly the thing I meant above.

i don't understand "exactly the thing [...] meant above"...

 RB> Now, you know this, and it may be common knowledge in Z1, but it's
 RB> the first time I've heard of it and I certainly wouldn't use it
 RB> unless there were really no other way.

one of the binkd guys got fidonet.net years and years ago when their started
working on all of this... the f.n.z conversion stuff was already being used for
years and years before that... fidonet.org is what used to be used with the
IEEE sponsored gateway... that was the system that developed and first
implemented the f.n.z conversion... now most all gating packages do this... you
even have one in *my* domain... f44.n2448.z2.ftn.wpusa.dynip.com... it is built
into my gating software and i can allow or restrict those who can use it...
i've never restricted anyone so far... but this is also /only/ for netmail and
any gated mailing lists or newsgroups you may get from me system...

 RB> Please remember, I was doing a count of active nodes. I wrote
 RB> several times in our node echo, polled every node (there weren't
 RB> that many entries anyway) and repeated that with all modes (analog,
 RB> ISDN and IP) I could manage. Practically nobody uses PVT nodes
 RB> here, and those that do mostly include their domain so that the
 RB> node can be reached. There were none in my segment anyway, so the
 RB> question never arose.

that's fine... i am just saying that you don't need to manually add them to
your binkd connections list if you use the binkd.txt file or generate your own
from the distributed nodelist...

RB>> as is apparently common in Z1.

ml> TTBOMK, it is (or was) much more common in R50...

 RB> No idea. I have had exactly two R50 contacts, one of which was
 RB> easily reachable by IP and the other is a Russian guy who for
 RB> reasons unknown operates a server in Canada and asked me if he
 RB> could pick up a couple of echos from me. He polls (IP) here very
 RB> rarely.

FWIW: R50 is where it really got started to use the f.n.z conversion but it
seems that something has changed over there since then and may are also
including a FQDN (fully qualified domain name) in their nodelist entries...
even if it is the f.n.z FQDN... for example, browse the nodelist to net5000 and
note all those over there using f.n.z.fidonet.net FQDNs... then try doing a
host or nslookup on those domains and note the IP numbers that are returned...

someone needs to fix that stuff, that's for sure... especially since
fidonet.net is not working for or with fidonet any more...

RB>> And you know that many people simply don't answer netmail anymore,
RB>> particularly the routed stuff.

ml> i suspect that may be because routed stuff has been broken for a long
ml> time and no one has chased it down...

 RB> Actually, I've never had any problems with routed messages (in
 RB> R24), but prefer to send direct when I can. If I want to reach a
 RB> point quickly, I address the message to the point and send it to
 RB> his Bossnode. The reply generally comes by routed netmail.

that's stands to reason... especially the addressing and routing to the
bossnode... that's been the default since fidonet started having points :)

ml> ... i saw where routed netmail from you to another texan passed thru
ml> here the other day...

 RB> Good for you. Can't remember why I routed that, but I guess there
 RB> was no domain in the nodelist entry.

i don't know... i just know that i saw it logged in my OTrack log... it was
very interesting because it did come thru here on its way there... i don't have
any official connection with that system here so that message was routed right
back out of here to the backbone and sent on that way... if anyone wants a
connection here with route spliting to them, all they need to do is ask and
complete the forms ;)

[...]

RB>> how would one go about testing to see if the node is still "alive"?
RB>> This is still another reason I prefer our alternative of sysop points
RB>> over PVT listings.

ml> that's one thing but what to do if they simply don't respond to
ml> netmail? there's no difference and no way to know, really... think
ml> about it... if they don't respond to netmail, routed or direct, what
ml> does it matter if they have a point or pvt node?

 RB> The point was, if their system reacts properly to a poll, it
 RB> exists.

and what happens if they are on a dynamic connection that was down at that time
you tested? were you doing this all at the same specified time? i'm only
pointing out possible problems... heck, my POTS side was down for a week while
i waited on more modems to arrive... at one point i had it busied out but other
times it wasn't...

 RB> That was enough for me. Whether the system is on autopilot
 RB> or is being regularly maintained is not my problem unless someone
 RB> complains - which nobody ever has in the 10+ years I've been NC. I
 RB> just wanted to clear out deadwood, no more.

i hear ya... i've done the same thing over here a few times...

)\/(ark

 * Origin:  (1:3634/12)