Skriven 2012-07-18 00:32:50 av Richard Webb (1:116/901.0)
    Kommentar till text 768 av Roy Witt (1:387/22)
Ärende: Darwion award candidate
===============================
Hi ROy,

On Tue 2012-Jul-17 10:22, Roy Witt (1:387/22) wrote to Richard Webb:

<snip>
 Roy>> thing as a 'walkman' screaming in our ears at the same time. It was
 Roy>> the pennies layed on the track and disapperance after the train
 Roy>> passed that still puzzles me.

 RW> Right, vibration shook 'em off the tracks.

Roy> If so, they were shook pretty bad, as we could never find them. More
Roy> than likely they were squeezed into a few thousands (.001) of an
Roy> inch and stuck to to the wheels. Kinda like copper shim stock...

Oh yeah, shook pretty good.  AS I said, every once in awhile you could get one
to stay and find maybe pieces of it, but
most of the time they were just thrown off by the
vibrations.

Roy> Dunno...I wasn't there. I have noticed that the freight cars headed
Roy> south are 'hoppers' full of concrete materials and those hoppers
Roy> going north are full of sand and gravel. Plus they're perhaps a 1/2
Roy> mile long or more and they have to travel slow because they're still
Roy> in the city limits, even though the diesel puller is outside the
Roy> city limits. With the silent crossings being constructed in town, I
Roy> expect more pedestriANS will be silenced down the line.

Oh I'm sure.  YOu can find with those long coal trains going through the
mountains where the front engine is braking
while the back engine is still pushing.  Anybody who doesn't understand the
principle of inertia should watch a train
start rolling or come to a stop.

 RW>> Yes, as a kid I used to use the railroad tracks as a
 RW>> shortcut between places, but this was a siding serving a
 RW>> couple of factories, and you could hear a train moving a
 RW>> good distance off.

 Roy>> We had to walk the tracks to get to the swimmin' hole, under the
 Roy>> trestle.

 RW> Yep, the railroad trestle over the Cedar River in Vinton,
 RW> IOwa, close to the school for the blind was the illicit
 RW> activities spot.  I remember hanging off that trestle once
 RW> lookingup at a freight train cause I was caught in the
 RW> middle of it when a train was coming.  My home town though,
 RW> which I was referencing earlier, those sidings for the
 RW> factories were good shortcuts, made a square corner a 45
 RW> degree if you did it right.

Roy> The yard up there in Illinois had a turntable and lots of sidings.
Roy> We were always chased out of those yards. Had to cross the yard to
Roy> get to the fishing ponds on the other side.

YEp, much like the yard in Burlington, which was actually in Burlington.  The
railroad shops were out in WEst burlington, almost like a mini switching yard
there too, but the actual
train yard with turntable adn all was Burlington itself.
Back when I worked with homeless folks I got to know quite a few hoboes who
could tell you horror stories about the
railroadbulls at the yard in Burlington. IF you were heading east across the
MIssissippi river and you were a hobo
hopping a freight you prayed there wasn't a tow going under
the railroad bridge, because they'd hold the train in the
yard and the bulls would go peeking in every open boxcar for illicit riders, so
if you hopped it going through town you
hunkered down and hoped that bridge was ready for business.

 RW> But there again, you'd hear the trains long before they came through
 RW> the Burlington Northern shops north and west of there, and just east
 RW> of the bn shops was where  the switch was located for that set of
 RW> sidings. A guy still had plenty of time to get fair warning though
 RW> and get to a good spot to leave the tracks.

Roy> Illinois Central ran through Freeport, where my grandfather (clark)
Roy> would get on board as the conductor of the Land-O-Corn, ride it into
Roy> Iowa and back to Chicago and then back to Freeport where he got
Roy> off...all of that track is gone now and so are the yards and the
Roy> depot. Used to be 3 or 4 sets of tracks ran along the Pecatonica
Roy> River (Pecatonica was native American that meant - muddy water).
Roy> Sometimes it resembled a flow of mud too.

YEp, my mom's dad was an engineer for C B & Q, and then for
SAnta Fe.  One of her uncles who lived in MEdia, Il. not too far from where you
grew up iirc was a fireman in the steam
days.

<snip>
Roy> Nice thing about that trestle is that the top is wider than the
Roy> structure that supports it. No way you could climb under the top and
Roy> get to the safety of the supporting structure in time to let the
Roy> train pass overhead.

YEah that makes it an adeventure.  I wouldn't care to fish
out there, but I might throw a trotline off it, tie it to
the trestle and come back for it later and see how many fish I'd caught <grin>.

Roy> I supposed tying a rope around a few ties might give you an
Roy> advantage though.

yEah were I to fish it that's rpobably what I'd do, have it
ready to just loop around me and drop off, get to the
supports that way, have it over some ties and then climb
back up after the train passes.

 RW> I used to use another place near downtown Burlignton, Iowa
 RW> as a cut through to make a 45 out of a 90 degree and cut off about a
 RW> quarter mile if i was walking to the south end of town, the main line
 RW> ran between buildings of a boiler factory,

Roy> We had one of those too. Stover Steel. My grandpa Witt worked there
Roy> around the time the US entered WW1 and on to the mid to late 1920s.

THis one was same vintage, Murray Iron works iirc.
DIfferent name now, but it's still in business, friend of
mine's a machinist for 'em.  My xyl sold him some "joe
blocks" is waht he called them that were her ex husbands.

 RW> and a guy could walk those tracks through there. My dad saw me take
 RW> that shortcut one night and raised seven different colors of it with
 RW> me later.  hE maintained there wasn't enough room to get out of the
 RW> way, and might have been right on that one when I think about it as a
 RW> rational adult.

Roy> 8^) Like my dad, he had already been there as a youngster himself
Roy> and knew all about it. The first 20 or so years of your life were a
Roy> reminder of his youth.

YEah that's what he said at the time.

 RW> At the time I would have said I could hug teh wall of one of the
 RW> buildings and probably get by, but now I wouldn't care to.

Roy> Too close for comfort in m book.

Yeah in mine too now, but then I didn't worry too much about it, I was just
saving steps.

 RW> I know I didn't care for hanging below that trestle with my hands
 RW> curled around a railroad tie either.

Roy> I'll bet!

NO that was not a fun twenty minutes or so.  I'm guessing 20 minutes, couldn't
tell you for sure, but my arm muscles sure hurt.  Thing is, I'm not sure that
river was deep enough if
I let go to be good to land in, that mighta hurt pretty bad
too.

Regards,
           Richard
---