Möte HAM, 16052 texter
Skriven 2009-03-24 14:00:18 av Amsat List (1:323/120.0)
Ärende: [ans]  ANS-083 AMSAT News Service Special Bulleti
[ans]  ANS-083 AMSAT News Service Special Bulleti
AMSAT NEWS SERVICE SPECIAL BULLETIN

ANS-083

In this edition:

* Frank H. Bauer, KA3HDO to Step Down from ARISS and AMSAT Duties
* Will Marchant, KC6ROL Appointed AMSAT's VP-Human Space Flight

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-083.01
Frank H. Bauer, KA3HDO to Step Down from ARISS and AMSAT Duties

[ans]  ANS-083 AMSAT News Service Special Bulleti
AMSAT News Service Bulletin 083.01

>From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
March 24, 2009
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-083.01

Frank H. Bauer, KA3HDO, announced today that, effective immediately,
he will be stepping down from all his Amateur Radio on the Internat-
ional Space Station (ARISS) duties.  This includes his contributions
to NASA Education as the ARISS program leader, his support as the
Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS) International
Working Group Chair, his appointment as one of two ARISS USA delegates,
and as the Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation's (AMSAT) Vice Presi-
dent for Human Spaceflight Programs.

Mr. Bauer cited personal and professional reasons for his departure.
He is currently the Chief Engineer for the Exploration Systems Mission
Directorate at NASA Headquarters.  This directorate is developing the
next generation human spaceflight vehicles that will take NASA to the
International Space Station and then to the Moon, Mars and beyond. He
is also providing some backup support to the Space Operations Chief
Engineer who supports the Space Shuttle and International Space Station
Programs. "Work responsibilities, which have increased substantially
over the past couple of years, coupled with some recent health issues
within my immediate family, led me to the conclusion that I could not
continue to provide the leadership and passion that has been character-
istic of my past support to these amateur radio endeavors," Mr. Bauer
said.  "This was a very hard decision.  I will certainly miss the phen-
omenal ARISS international team and our mission to inspire the next
generation of space explorers using ham radio as our platform.  But I
thought it would be best to step down at this juncture," Bauer explain-
ed. KA3HDO continues, "Over the past 12 years, we have developed, men-
tored and matured an outstanding volunteer team with a wide breadth and
depth. I am fully confident that they will keep the ARISS program run-
ning smoothly without missing a beat."

AMSAT President Barry Baines, WD4ASW, has tapped Will Marchant, KC6ROL,
to become the next AMSAT Vice President for Human Spaceflight Programs
and the AMSAT USA delegate of the ARISS International Working Group.
Barry Baines stated that "AMSAT is fortunate that we have a very capable
leader in Will Marchant who is intimately familiar with ARISS, our exten-
sive human spaceflight program, and is well respected internationally."
Barry observed, "Frank's leadership has left a significant mark on the
overall ARISS program and the cooperative relationship between amateur
radio, NASA and other governmental space agencies.   However, Frank also
ensured that his team evolved to the point where the work that he pion-
eered will be carried on by those that he mentored and encouraged to
take on greater responsibility."

In his new role, Will Marchant will work with the other ARISS USA
delegate, Rosalie White, K1STO, from the American Radio Relay League
(ARRL) and the other ARISS International Delegates and the ISS Space
Agencies to coordinate the development and operations of the amateur
radio systems onboard the ISS.  Rosalie stated that "I look forward
to working with Will in his new role.   He has provided outstanding
leadership and support to ARISS from its very beginning, most recently
as an Operations team leader.  And he helped pioneer the school group
mentor role as part of the Shuttle Amateur Radio Experiment (SAREX)
program in the early 1990's."  She continued, "Frank will be missed
tremendously. It is incredible how much volunteer time and effort he
put into ARISS educational activities; it was easy to see it was his
passion."

With Mr. Bauer stepping down from the ARISS International Chairman
role, the ARISS International Vice Chair, Mr. Gaston Bertels, ON4WF
will become the ARISS International Chairman effective immediately.
Mr. Bertels has been a leader of ARISS from its inception and serves
as the Chairman of the ARISS-Europe team. Mr. Bertels has established
a close relationship between ARISS and ESA, the European Space Agency.
This resulted in the development and the installation of ARISS L- and
S-band antennas on the nadir of Columbus, the European Space Laboratory.
Mr. Bertels also chairs the ARSPEX (Amateur Radio Space Exploration)
working group of the International Amateur Radio Union, Region 1.  Mr.
Bertels stated: "We can understand the reasons of Frank Bauer's resig-
nation, but we also feel how difficult this decision has been.  Frank
has inspired a worldwide group of passionate radio amateurs, working
together to a common goal.  Now it is up to us to continue in the same
direction and with the same spirit.  That's the best farewell present
we can offer Frank".

Mr. Bauer's departure today represents the culmination of over 25 years
of leadership and support to amateur radio activities on human space-
flight vehicles, including NASA sponsored ham radio activities on the
Shuttle, Space Station Mir, and the International Space Station. Start-
ing in 1983, he led the Goddard Amateur Radio Club team that provided
around-the clock Space Shuttle retransmissions from the WA3NAN club
station.  These retransmissions provided the international ham radio
community up-to-the-minute information during the flight of Owen Garriott,
W5LFL on STS-9 and subsequent SAREX flights.  These real-time bulletins
and frequent orbital element updates could only be obtained through ama-
teur radio in the days prior to the internet.  In 1991, AMSAT then Presi-
dent Bill Tynan, W3XO tapped Frank to be the AMSAT VP for Human Space-
flight, a position he has held until today.

In 1996, when the International Space Station design development was
well underway, NASA Headquarters Education Office executive Pam Bacon
(Mountjoy) requested that the amateur radio community form a single,
international team to provide one voice for all ham radio development
and operations on the ISS.  The SAREX Working Group, led by Roy Neal,
K6DUE, was tapped to turn this vision into reality.  In November 1996,
Roy (ARRL), with the other SAREX working group members Frank Bauer,
KA3HDO (NASA/AMSAT), Rosalie White K1STO (ARRL), and Matt Bordelon,
KC5BTL, (NASA) organized a joint NASA-international amateur radio meet-
ing at the Johnson Space Center in Houston.  This led to the formulation
of the ARISS International Working Group of delegates representing Canada,
Europe, Japan, Russia and the USA-and the rest is history.

Since those austere beginnings, the ARISS team of volunteers has develop-
ed and deployed ham radio equipment that resides in three modules of the
ISS---the Service Module, the FGB and the Columbus Module as well as having
deployed a short duration satellite in a space suit called SuitSat-1/Radios-
skaf/AO-54.  These systems enable the ARISS team to inspire over 15,000
students each year, encouraging them to pursue careers in science, tech-
nology, engineering and mathematics through amateur radio communications
with the ISS on-orbit crew.  It also introduces these students and mill-
ions from the worldwide general public to the fun, exciting, multi-faceted
world of amateur radio.

The Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation (AMSAT), is an educational, not-
for-profit corporation founded 40 years ago and is based in Silver Spring,
MD.  Its primary objective is to foster Amateur Radio's participation in
space research, communications, and education through the development and
operation of amateur radio satellites in space.  To date, there are over
60 amateur radio satellites that have been built by volunteers around
the world and flown in space.

[ANS thanks ARISS International for the above information]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-083.02
Will Marchant, KC6ROL Appointed AMSAT's VP-Human Space Flight

[ans]  ANS-083 AMSAT News Service Special Bulleti
AMSAT News Service Bulletin 083.02

>From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
March 24, 2009
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-083.02

AMSAT President Barry Baines, WD4ASW has appointed Will Marchant,
KC6ROL of Marshall, VA as VP-Human Space Flight and to serve as the
AMSAT USA delegate to the ARISS International Working Group.  These
appointments follow the resignation of Frank Bauer, KA3HDO that was
announced on Tuesday morning, 24 March due to family and professional
reasons.

"AMSAT is fortunate that we have a very capable leader in Will Marchant
who is intimately familiar with ARISS, our extensive human spaceflight
program, and is well respected internationally."  Barry observed,
"Frank's leadership has left a significant mark on the overall ARISS
program and the cooperative relationship between amateur radio, NASA
and other governmental space agencies.  Frank has also ensured that
his team evolved to the point where the work that he pioneered will
be carried on by those that he mentored and encouraged to take on great-
er responsibility."

Will Marchant, KC6ROL was first licensed in 1990 when he was assisting
search and rescue organizations in California and wanted to use amateur
radio as a backup to local law enforcement communications.  One of his
early activities as an amateur radio operator was to track and listen
for the space shuttle and MIR. Will increased his participation in ama-
teur radio in space in 1992 with the Shuttle Amateur Radio Experiment
(SAREX).  At that time, he managed a shuttle contact with Lawrence Hall
of Science of the University of California, Berkeley, CA with STS-57.
>From that point on, Will increased his activities in the SAREX program
following his relocation from Berkeley to Virginia in 1994.  He served
as a mentor for various school contacts and was appointed to serve as
Operations Manager for SAREX in 1995.   As SAREX Operations Manager Will
coordinated both school contacts and 'family  & friends' contacts for
four years, spending time at Mission Control in Houston during SAREX
missions managing these contacts.

When the Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS) Inter-
national Working Group was established in 1996, Will was involved under
Frank Bauer's leadership.  The first International Space Station module
was sent into orbit in 1998 and has been continuously manned since 2000.
Over the past nine years (with two years 'off' from SAREX and ARISS to
complete a Master's Degree in Space Sciences), Will has been heavily
involved with ARISS Telebridge operations, School Technical Support,
and training of personnel for amateur radio operations in Space.  For
example, Will worked extensively with Richard Garriott, W5KWQ prior
to his 'space tourist' trip to the ISS in Fall 2008 to help him prepare
for his amateur radio operations from space.

Rosalie White, K1STO of the ARRL is the other US Delegate to the ARISS
International Working Group.  She commented, "Will and I have worked
closely together on a number of SAREX and ARISS projects over the years,
and we 'click.'  A hard worker, he believes strongly in the use of ARISS
by teachers as an educational tool.  I will absolutely miss Frank in our
work as US ARISS delegates and ARISS International Officers, but having
Will step up is the consolation."

responsibility as AMSAT's VP-Human Space Flight as well as serving as the
AMSAT USA delegate to the ARISS International Working Group.  ARISS con-
tinues to play a significant role in science education as well as provid-
ing an opportunity for AMSAT to participate in human activities in space.
I look forward to working with an outstanding team that Frank created, en-
couraging greater educational outreach by AMSAT as well as working as
AMSAT's delegate within ARISS International Working Group."
Currently based in Virginia, Will is employed by the University of Cali-
fornia Berkeley as a senior programmer and is involved with several space
science missions.

[ANS thanks AMSAT-NA President Barry Baines, WD4ASW for the above
information]

/EX

--- ViaMAIL!/WC v1.60d
 * Origin: Chowdanet (401-724-4410) telnet://chowdanet.com  (1:323/120)