Möte OSDEBATE, 18996 texter
Skriven 2005-06-16 08:32:26 av Ellen K. (1:379/45)
Ärende: Microsoft meets the hackers
===================================
From: Ellen K. <72322.1016@compuserve.com>

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+meets+the+hackers/2009-1002-5747813.html?part=dtx
&tag=ntop&tag=nl.e703

"Blue Hat" summit meant to reveal ways of the other side By Ina Fried
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
June 15, 2005 4:00AM PDT

REDMOND, Wash.--The random chatter of several hundred Microsoft engineers
filled the cavernous executive briefing center recently at the company's
sprawling campus outside Seattle.

Within minutes after their meeting was convened, however, the hall became
hushed. Hackers had successfully lured a Windows laptop onto a malicious
wireless network.

"It was just silent," said Stephen Toulouse, a program manager in Microsoft's
security unit. "You couldn't hear anybody breathe."

The demo was part of an extraordinary two days in which outsiders were invited
into the heart of the Windows empire for the express purpose of exploiting
flaws in Microsoft computing systems. The event, which Microsoft has not
publicized, was dubbed "Blue Hat"--a reference to the widely known "Black Hat"
security conference, tweaked to reflect Microsoft's corporate color.

The unusual March gathering, a summit of sorts between delegates of the hacking
community and their primary corporate target, illustrates how important
security has become to the world's most powerful software company. Microsoft
Chairman Bill Gates himself estimated earlier this year that the company now
spends $2 billion a year--more than a third of its research budget--on
security-related issues. Security has also become one of the main themes of the
company's developer conferences, including last week's TechEd event, where
Microsoft pitched security improvements in Windows to 11,000 attendees.

Blue Hat was significant for other, less tangible reasons as well. It provided
a rare glimpse inside the netherworld of computer security, where the ethical
lines are sometimes fuzzy in the technological arms race between network
engineers and the hackers who challenge them. During the course of the event,
each side witnessed for the first time the inner workings, culture and
psychology of the other.

"I didn't know if we were going to end up with this massively adversarial
experience or if this was going to be something of a collaborative mode between
all of us," said Dan Kaminsky, one of the outsiders who presented at the
conference. Like others in the hacker group--many of whom are known as
"security researchers" in their professions--he noted that the relationship
ended up being the collaborative sort.

Still, in such a charged atmosphere, it didn't take long for emotions to show.

Matt Thomlinson, whose job it is to help make Microsoft engineers create more
secure code, noticed that some of the engineers were turning red, becoming
obviously angry at the demo hacking incident. Yet as painful as the lesson was,
he was glad to see the crowd of engineers taking things personally.

Thomlinson frequently makes similar entreaties to the engineers on the need for
secure code, but he said his own lectures don't have the same effect. "It kind
of hits people up here," Thomlinson said, pointing to his head. "Things are
different when a group of programmers watches their actual code exploited. It
kind of hits people in the gut."

For two days, Microsoft staffers took these body blows repeatedly as they
learned of various exploits. On day one, several dozen executives, including
some of the company's most senior ones, were exposed to this simulated wrath in
a makeshift boot camp. Among the participants were Jim Allchin, Microsoft's
Windows chief, and Brian Valentine, head of core Windows operating system
development. The second day drew about 400 rank-and-file Windows engineers,
including people who don't necessarily focus on security features in their
day-to-day work. "It is rare that I can present to the people who are both
responsible for and capable of fixing the issues that I cover."
--HD Moore
Security researcher

Allchin is not just any high-ranking software executive: In the technology
industry, his name has become largely synonymous with the Windows operating
system he oversees. A strong supporter of Blue Hat, Allchin wanted the Windows
group not just to hear about security issues, but to see them as well.

"I'd already been through lots of days of personal training on the tools that
are used to do this," Allchin said about the work of the hackers. "I personally
wanted to really do a deep dive and really understand from their perspective."

It was a relatively safe way to get the experience. In a world where "white
hats" are the security do-gooders and "black hats" are the hard-core villains,
the hackers at Blue Hat were hardly representative of the dark side; if they
had any pigment at all, it was no more than a tinge of gray.

This could well be a significant reason Microsoft held the event--to woo an
influential group that has the choice of reporting security flaws discreetly or
going public with them. The software maker routinely preaches the benefits of
what it calls "responsible disclosure."

But to the researchers, Microsoft's motivation was less important than the
opportunity to meet in person with those who hold the keys to the kingdom and
explain why they do the things they do.

"It is rare that I can present to the people who are both responsible for and
capable of fixing the issues that I cover," security researcher HD Moore said,
adding that he doesn't plan to change his practice of giving companies
30 days before going public with issues. "I still have no desire to play e-mail
tag with the (security response team) for a year for every bug that I find."

But Moore did gain a better understanding of why it takes Microsoft so long to
create patches and said his impression of the people who create the products
have changed. "I still may not agree with their security policies and how they
handle bug reports, but at least I know they actually believe what they are
saying," he said.

Others agreed. "They are taking this subject seriously. It was really cool to
see," said Kaminsky, a security researcher who does work for telecommunications
company Avaya. "At some point, there was a shift at Microsoft."

That shift began in earnest with a well-publicized memo written by Gates on the
concept of "trustworthy computing" in 2002. Security had long been a concern at
Microsoft, but the issue became imperative after several high-profile attacks
exposed the degree of its vulnerabilities.

"The security faults we are seeing could end up bringing an end to the era of
personal computing," Kaminsky said. "The ability to customize our computers is
under attack from those who are customizing it against our will."

It was this kind of impassioned rhetoric that won respect even among some of
the more wary Microsoft participants.

Noel Anderson, a wireless networking engineer on Microsoft's Windows team,
became suspicious as soon as he walked into the hacking demo--and saw the giant
wireless antenna at the front of the auditorium.

Anderson decided that he should leave his laptop turned off, an instinct that
saved him the embarrassment of falling into the hackers' trap, even though the
hackers focused on a demo laptop. But under different circumstances, he thought
to himself, "I might have even fallen for that."

As a result, Anderson and his team walked away with some concrete ideas on how
to make sure future versions of Windows are more resilient to wireless attacks.
He also left the room with a new respect for the hackers behind the
demonstration.

"It's not just a bunch of disaffected teenagers sitting in their mom's
basement," he said. "These are professionals that are thinking about these
issues."

The hackers, for their part, seemed equally impressed with the technical
knowledge of the senior executives they encountered.

At one point, researcher Matt Conover was talking about a fairly obscure type
of problem called a "heap overflow." When he asked the crowd, made up mostly of
vice presidents, whether they knew about this type of issue, 18 of 20 hands
went up.

"I doubt that there is another large company on this planet that has that level
of technical competency in management roles," Moore said.

Yet regardless of the mutual admiration, some tense moments were inevitable
during the confrontation.

Microsoft developers, for instance, were visibly uncomfortable when Moore
demonstrated Metasploit--a tool that system administrators can use to test the
reliability of their systems to intrusion. But Metasploit also includes a fair
number of exploits, as well as tools that can be used to develop new types of
attacks.

"You had these developers saying, 'Why are you giving the world these tools
that make it so easy to do exploitation?'" Kaminsky said. They calmed down, he
said, once the researchers were able to state their case.

"We do regression testing in the real world of software development," Kaminsky
said. "If we say, 'This thing isn't going to break,' then we need to test that.
What these tools give is the ability to do this kind of testing, to be able to
say not just, 'We did the best we could,' but
'We tried stuff and nothing worked.'"

Nevertheless, he understands why not all Microsoft developers were satisfied
with the explanation.

"I'm also sure Ford wasn't too happy with (Ralph) Nader's reports in the late
'60s," he said. "What do you mean you are telling people our cars can blow up?"

By the end of the two days, those on both sides felt they had just scratched
the surface and were more than willing to meet again.

And executives such as Toulouse and Anderson said they came to a better
understanding of what makes hackers tick.

"We have conversations where we say an attacker might do this or an attacker
might do that. Now there is a face to some of those guys," Anderson said. "They
were just as much geeks as we were."

The next time a Blue Hat event is held, as promised by Microsoft, Kaminsky said
he would jump at the chance to return--assuming Microsoft lets him back.

"I'll be there next time, no matter what," he said. "I have some really
interesting and devious plans coming up."

--- BBBS/NT v4.01 Flag-5
 * Origin: Barktopia BBS Site http://HarborWebs.com:8081 (1:379/45)