Möte POL_INC, 14731 texter
Skriven 2006-12-01 12:43:00 av Bob Klahn (1:275/311)
     Kommentar till en text av Ross Cassell
Ärende: Good Ole Ben
====================
 RC> The following was written by Ben Stein and recited by him
 RC> on CBS Sunday Morning Commentary:

 It appears you got the internet version, and did not note it. I
 found the transcript of the original commentary.

 Seems about half the supposed commentary wasn't said by Ben
 Stein at all. It was, as so often happens on the internet, added
 by someone to push his own agenda.

 I didn't know this until I got suspicious of the claimed suicide
 of Dr Spock's son. Too much like the claims that BF Skinner's
 daughter committed suicide. For the record, neither claim is
 true. All of them are still alive. Spocks' two sons, and
 Skinner's two daughters.

 RC> Herewith at this happy time of year, a few confessions from
 RC> my beating heart: I have no freaking clue who Nick and
 RC> Jessica are. I see them on the cover of People and Us
 RC> they have broken up? Why are they so important?

 Nick is some strange person who appears in the news because of
 his connection to Jessica. Jessica is a wannabe, who does look
 kinda nice, and apparently can sing. However, Hollywood is
 filled with such people. Oh, and I suspect her "nice" look is
 artificially enhanced.

 RC> I don't know who Lindsay Lohan is either, and I do not care

 Who?

 RC> at all about Tom Cruise's wife.

 I do, but I'm from Toledo and it's practically mandatory here.
 She needs to be rescued and deprogrammed.

 This is one of the altered parts. In the transcript it's
 Cruise's baby he doesn't care about. Guess the alternative
 agenda forwarder thought not caring about a baby would count
 against the message.

 RC> If this is what it means to be no longer young. It's not so
 RC> bad.

 True.

 RC> Next confession:

 RC> I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was
 RC> Jewish.

 Which is bull. No one can count all his ancestors back even 1000
 years. Most certainly not 2000. And even the biblical
 literalists give us 10,000 years, which is how many ancestors?
 Let's see, at a conservative 30 years per generation, that 2 to
 the 333rd power. More than my desk calculator will handle. Go
 back to Lucy and you go back over 3 million years. Two to the
 100,000th power?

 RC> And it does not bother me even a little bit when
 RC> people call those beautiful lit up, bejeweled trees
 RC> Christmas trees. I don't feel threatened. I don' t feel
 RC> discriminated against. That's what they are: Christmas
 RC> trees.

 I know Christian Fundamentalist types who call them "Pagan
 Trees".

 RC> It doesn't bother me a bit when people say, "Merry
 RC> Christmas" to me. I don't think they are slighting me or
 RC> getting ready to put me in a ghetto. In fact, I kind of

 Well, some of them probably are... but we'll let  that go for
 now.

 Oh-oh... somebody locate a source of tin foil. It's time for the
 tin foil hats. Does Aluminum foil work as well?

 RC> I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I
 RC> don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being
 RC> Christians.

 Good thing that doesn't happen in this country. Thank George
 Bush that it is happening more and more in Iraq.

 RC> I think people who believe in God are sick and
 RC> tired of getting pushed around, period. I have no idea

 Good thing that doesn't happen here.

 RC> where the concept came from that America is an explicitly
 RC> atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution, and I
 RC> don't like it being shoved down my throat.

 Good thing that doesn't happen here.

 RC> Or maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come
 RC> from that we should worship Nick and Jessica and we aren't
 RC> allowed to worship God as we understand Him?

 Oh my, he is off the deep end.

 RC> I guess that's a sign that I'm getting old, too.

 More likely senile.

 RC> But there are a lot of us who are wondering where Nick and
 RC> Jessica came from and where the America we knew went to.

 It was torn apart by those like Ben Stein who used fraud and
 falsehood to further their agendas. Which, BTW, tend to be more
 economic than anything else, just with a religious front to
 break down the doors.

 The first rule of internet email chain letters is, they are all
 false. Ok, there are a very few that are true, but so few it's
 not a bad idea to just assume they are all false.

 It wasn't until I went online to check the fake claim of Spock's
 son committing suicide that I found out the rest of this is
 fake. I responded to it as if it was by Stein. Just read whoever
 was the real author as the person being addressed.

 RC> Billy Graham's daughter was interviewed on the Early Show
 RC> and Jane Clayson asked her "How could God let something
 RC> like this Happen?" (regarding Katrina)

 Stupid question. Old bit about why bad things happen to good
 people, and Jane Clayson was too ignorant to have ever thought
 it through. How old is she? Anyone who really cares had thought
 that one through decades ago.

 RC> Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and insightful
 RC> response.

 Actually dumb, and insulting to God.

 RC> She said, "I believe God is deeply saddened by
 RC> this, just as we are, but for years we've been telling God
 RC> to get out of our schools, to get out of our government and
 RC> to get out of our lives.

 Anne Graham seems to be painting God as a thug. Stupid fool. My
 God doesn't work that way, sorry bout yours.

 RC> And being the gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly
 RC> backed out. How can we expect God to give us His blessing
 RC> and His protection if we demand He leave us alone?"

 Anyone who thinks we are all God's children, then thinks God
 backs off and lets some of us die because he is peeved, knows
 little about Fathers and God. And anyone who thinks God had
 anything to do with Katrina, either causing or not preventing,
 because we have not been 'Christian' enough, is guilty of a far
 worse offense against God than any who do not believe in God.

 RC> In light of recent events...terrorists attack, school
 RC> shootings, etc. I think it started when Madeleine Murray
 RC> O'Hare (she was murdered, her body found recently)
 RC> complained she didn't want prayer in our schools, and we
 RC> said OK.

 No decision ever said we could not have prayer in our schools.
 What they did say is the state cannot sanction prayer in
 schools. That is morally and legally right. IMNSHO.

 Prayers don't belong in our schools. If Ben Stein had gone to
 elementary school with me he would have had the same protestant
 prayers inflicted on him, the same protestant bible readings.
 And he would have been as offended as a Jew as I was offended as
 a Catholic. Unless being a Jew is like being a member of a club
 to him, with no real meaning.

 Which is why I will not accept prayer in school. It's either
 sectarian, and an offense to anyone whose religion is left out,
 or it's so watered down as to be an offense against any
 religious persuasion I am familiar with. Ok, maybe Hindus would
 accept it. The are extremely accepting.

 RC> Then someone said you better not read the Bible in school.
 RC> The Bible says thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal,
 RC> and love your neighbor as yourself. And we said OK.

 The law says thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not kill. That is
 legitimate for the govt to say. It is not the business of the
 government to tell us to love our neighbors.

 RC> Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our
 RC> children when they misbehave because their little
 RC> personalities would be warped and we might damage their
 RC> self-esteem (Dr. Spock's son committed suicide). We said an
 RC> expert should know what he's talking about and we said OK.

 Maybe Mr Spock of Star Trek said that, Dr Benjamin Spock did
 not. And bringing in the suicide of his son was a truly low
 cheap shot, showing just what a low person Stein really is.

 Checked this on urban legend site. Spock had two sons. Both
 still alive. One is a museum manager, the other an architect and
 owner of a construction firm.

 RC> Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no
 RC> conscience, why they don't know right from wrong, and why
 RC> it doesn't bother them to kill strangers, their classmates,
 RC> and themselves.

 Maybe because they see an example of lies and deception by
 people like Ben Stein. It's as connected as anything he has to
 say.

 RC> Probably, if we think about it long and hard enough, we can
 RC> figure it out. I think it has a great deal to do with "WE
 RC> REAP WHAT WE SOW."

 Yes, Stein sows deception, he reaps his own fraud.

 RC> Funny how simple it is for people to trash God and then
 RC> wonder why the world's going to hell.

 God doesn't work that way. My unrepentant belief.

 RC> Funny how we believe what the newspapers say, but question
 RC> what the Bible says.

 Not the bible, the bible pounders. Like Stein... contradiction
 noted.

 RC> Funny how you can send 'jokes' through e-mail and they
 RC> spread like wildfire but when you start sending messages
 RC> regarding the Lord, people think twice about sharing.

 Equine manure.

 OTOH, when does Stein see an overwhelming flow of generic
 religious messages? All I see are sectarian religious messages,
 and all too many of them.

 RC> Funny how lewd, crude, vulgar and obscene articles pass
 RC> freely through cyberspace, but public discussion of God is
 RC> suppressed in the school and workplace.

 I don't know about your workplace, but we discuss God in my
 workplace whenever we feel like it, which is quite often. OTOH,
 in the school it's far more the religious right who suppress
 discussion of religion, as they refuse to do what the law does
 allow, teach about religion, not teach religion. See, being open
 minded in teaching religion is anathema to the religious right.

 RC> Are you laughing?

 No, just tired of that old BS.

 RC> Funny how when you forward this message, you will not send
 RC> it to many on your address list because you're not sure
 RC> what they believe, or what they will think of you for
 RC> sending it.

 IOW, you are to frightened of someone actually responding with
 reason.

 RC> Funny how we can be more worried about what other people
 RC> think of us than what God thinks of us.

 I doubt God finds Ben Stein's commentary acceptable. My God
 doesn't work withlies, nor accept them from those who claim to
 be acting on His behalf.

BOB KLAHN bob.klahn@sev.org   http://home.toltbbs.com/bobklahn

... I want to live forever!.......so far so good.
 * Silver Xpress V4.5/P [Reg]
--- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.0pr5a
 * Origin: FidoTel & QWK on the Web! www.fidotel.com (1:275/311)