Möte ASTRONOMY, 417 texter
Skriven 2005-03-09 21:48:00 av John Pazmino (1:278/230)
Ärende: NYC Events February  9/11
=================================

Continued from previous message.

 ----------
    Astroclubs like to pass along NYC Events to their members. Way to
go!! By letting your members know of activities around your own turf
you broaden their astronomy experience and encourage cross visits with
other clubs.
    There are two ways to give NYC Events to your members. First is to
give the entire article with no alteration. The other is to pare down
the list to better suit your membership. If you do, please add a note
at the top that your peculiar version of NYC Events is an adaptation
and that the complete one is in NYSkies or the sci.astro.* newsgroups.
    Amateur Astronomers Association Inc in January 2005 passed up NYC
Events for its website. It is the choice of a club to give its members
NYC Events thru it, so I'm completely neutral toward AAA's decision.
    I'm always looking out for astronomy nourishment not yet in NYC
Events. If you know of any, either oneshot events or a continuing
series, let me know. Provide the six 'W's of news reporting, plus an
extra one just for you NYC Readers:
  Who - sponsor name, website, phone, email
  What - title and description of event
  When - day, date, hour, duration
  Where - place, address, room of event
  Why - anniversary, memorial, may be included with 'what'
  hoW - tickets, security ID, registration
  Wow - interest for NYC Events readers
    The only real conditions are that the event be open to the public;
no members-only or invite-only events. I confine to the commuting
radius around New York City. This covers Long Island, west
Connecticut, Hudson Valley, Catskills, Delaware Valley, north and
central New Jersey. I do put in select astronomy conferences and
starparties beyond this zone.

Event news
 --------
    At the Starry Nights jazz show at the Hayden Planetarium,
you'll find us around a cocktail table with a 'NYSkies' and 'National
Space Society' sign on it. First look on the lower deck among the
planetarium exhibits. Then on the upper deck overlooking them.
    The American Museum of Natural History offers certain activities
for its own members which I previously included in NYC Events. No one
ever objected and these events were at times mixed into Museum notices
for public ones. After clarification about which are which I now omit
the members-only activities.
    Amateur Astronomers Association closed off its Recent Astronomy
Seminar and Observing Group meetings, effective on January 13th. They
are now restricted only for AAA members; guests and visitors are no
longer allowed. So, like for any other club's internal activities,
such as darksky observing or committee meetings, I now omit the
Seminar and OG.
    The Graduate Center at City University of New York starts in
February a series of shows and lectures about Albert Einstein. 2005 is
the 100th anniversary of the first publication of his relativity
theory. Recall that in 2002 a megashow about Einstein opened at the
American Museum of Natural History, which then toured the country. Now
it's heading back to Israel for permanent installation in April, the
actual anniversary of the relativity publication.
    The big showcase for science in the City is the Science and
Engineering Fair at City College on February 13th. Free to the public,
this megaexhibit present some 1,500 -- one thousand five hundred! --
high school science project in competition for the citywide and
national awards. SOme of them, being that I was a judge in previous
years, are amazingly good. And many relate to astronomy and space.
    The Verdopols conference, starting on February 7th, is a rather
heavy high-powered show, with a heavy high-powered fee. I can't expect
many readers to attend, but there may be some free exhibits in the
halls outside the conference rooms in Time-Warner Center. The
importance of this conference is the brainstorming it provides for the
growth and development of the City in this century under the ethic of
harmony with nature. For us astronomers that includes energy
conservation and removal of luminous graffiti from out skies.

Sky News
 ------
    Comet Machholz is putting up a good show for us! Machholz's close
approach to the Pleiades was totally clouded out, but there were
enough clear (and chilly) nights to let us follow it thru Taurus and
Perseus. The comet is still an easy binocular target, holding up quite
well and behaving itself nicely.
    We're all aflutter about the success of the Huygens probe! Several
NYSkiers, and about four hundred other city space and astro fans!,
were at the Hayden Planetarium to take in a marathon of shows about
the flight. (Some New York astronomy folk are not yet in NYSkies;
WAAaaah!) They started on Friday the 14th evening and ran all thru
Saturday the 15th into late afternoon. Many in the audience  by mid
day on Saturday were zonking out from lack of sleep!
    A light pollution row broke out in late November. International
Dark Sky Association (IDA) issued a proposed law for removing light
pollution, now under comment and review. After massive protest from a
wide variety of darksky leaders, IDA pulled back the draft for a
rewrite. A revised bill is expected at end january. See

 Continued in next message.

---
 þ RoseReader 2.52á P005004
 * Origin: MoonDog BBS, Brooklyn,NY, 718 692-2498, 1:278/230 (1:278/230)