Möte BABYLON5, 17862 texter
Skriven 2006-08-01 22:17:00 av Robert E Starr JR (6007.babylon5)
Ärende: Re: City of Dreams
==========================
* * * This message was from Jeffrey Kaplan to rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.m * * *
         * * * and has been forwarded to you by Lord Time * * *

@MSGID: <0m10d25fmkigvql7h06cbnkjpg6d1tsv51@gordol.org>
@REPLY: <1153852960.155047.223180@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>
It is alleged that Chris claimed:

> the only reference i could find to anything like this on rhapsody.com
> was about a free plan that limited you to 25 songs per month. i could

That's 25 free/streaming songs.  You can always +purchase+ a track if
you like it.

I have a Rhapsody account around here somewhere...

> > > as for the itunes software itself, it's dreamily easy to use, smart
> > > playlists, custom smart playlists, non-smart playlists(ie, cherry
> >
> > It also takes up a massive amount of disk space,
>
> my music collection=6.63 GB
> itunes software=30mb

For reference, my music collection=14.4GB (3,581 tracks, including
Seeing Ear Theater stuff).
Winamp software=13.3MB.

> how is that 30mb massive when that's roughly half of a 60 minute CD(when
> encoded at 128) sure, rhapsody is (as they say) "a tiny plug in" but
> come now, when hard drives are measured in the 10's of GB...
>
> winamp, the player you suggest later, requires 15MB, and suggests 30mb.

Winamp doesn't wheedle its way into the system.  It doesn't set itself
up as a system Service.  It doesn't always leave a portion of itself
running when you're not actually using it.  Turn it off, and it's OFF.
iTunes still has some parts of itself on my old computer, even after
uninstalling it.

Um, yes it does.  Also online streaming media.  www.winamp.com.

> > is slow to load,
> not here, or on the PC's i've used it on

My (limited) use of it was on an XP Pro system with an AthlonXP 2800+,
1GB PC2100 DDR ram.

> not here, or on the PC's i've used it on(not being repetitive to be an
> ass, being repetitive to stress that each of these comments is being
> commented on individually, not "missing" one.

Understood.  It was a dog on +my+ system, then, even though my system
was no slouch performer.

> >and I found it cumbersome to use because common
> > control elements were missing.
> such as?

I don't recall off hand and I am not reinstalling it just to check.  I
do remember, though, being frequently frustrated by not being able to
do something with iTunes that was a snap to do with Winamp or
Musicmatch Jukebox.

> > I also found that other iPod management software not only doesn't have
> > all of that, they also managed the content on the iPod better.  With
> > iTunes, I had to do double-maintenance.  To get rid of a song from the
> > iPod, I had to remove it from iTunes AND the iPod, otherwise iTunes
> > would simply copy it back into its library from the iPod, or back to
> > the iPod from the library.
>
> uncheck it from the list=itunes ignores it until it's re-checked. but it
> stays on the list

My music library is organized into four categories, only one of which
gets synced to my portable player.  These four categories are in their
own directory tree off of My Music.  It is not uncommon for me to move
tracks around between them.  Forex, when I decide I no longer want a
track on my portable, but I don't want to simply nuke it, I move it out
of the syncing directory to my "Other Music" tree.  Sometime around the
end of November, I take my "Holiday Music" directory and move the whole
thing into the one that syncs.  Then, towards the end of January, I
move it back.

Updating Winamp to follow these changes is as simple as starting it and
waiting a few minutes.  Or, if it's already running, waiting an hour or
so (it checks for changes once an hour when running).  Library updates
are done in the background.  As I recall, with iTunes I had to wipe its
library and tell it to reload it by reading the directory tree, then
waiting while it does this in the foreground.  This is one of the
reasons why I almost immediately started looking for a different
manager for my iPod.  This was a few years ago.

> > Give Winamp a try sometime. :)
> one caveat, i'm currently at home on my mac, with no access to a PC, so

Ah.  Maybe that's the difference between our experiences with it.

> according to their website, i'd have to buy the pro version in order to
> rip into mp3, aac, or any other format, or to burn at full speed of my
> burner.

I purchased Winamp a while ago to get the faster ripping, but with the
free version I was still able to rip to MP3.  Just not as fast, and
maybe with a different encoder.  The burning bit doesn't effect me,
since I generally used EZ CD/DVD Creator to do the burning.  (NERO came
with my new system, so I'll be using that, now.)

> making a playlist in winamp=click library, select "new playlist" from
> menu, name playlist.
> making a playlist in itunes=click "+" sign, name playlist

Click the Library button, slide up to "New playlist" and name it. Yeah,
so?

> adding new music in winamp=looks like the only way is to add it threw
> menu functions.

Just drop the directory into Winamp's watch folder location(s) that you
configured and (re)start Winamp or wait for it to discover the change
on the rescan schedule you set for it.

> ripping in winamp, looks like you can only rip a whole CD, not an
> individual track
> itunes, ripping individual tracks or whole cd's is simple.

Insert disk, select it in the library listing.  Select the tracks you
want to rip, click the Rip button and select the "Selected tracks"
item.

> burning looks the same on both, one difference, i seem to notice, i see
> no "check mark" system in winamp, meaning, an entire "playlist" will
> burn or not burn in winamp, no way to make a playlist...say "all songs

As I indicated above, I don't use Winamp to burn disks anyway, so I
have no comment here.  I generally don't burn MP3s to disk anyway,
anymore.  Not since I got a high capacity portable media player.

> most important factor-can't use winamp on every computer i have access
> to(and my primary one especially), so i'd have to "learn" a new front
> end for each system, itunes however, i can use either place.

OTOH, I haven't even +seen+ a Mac since my previous employer laid off
my entire department.

> looking at the screen shots though, it looks cumbersome as you claim
> itunes to be, not intuitive, as i claim itunes to be :-)

Well, I find Winamp easy to use.  It has the controls I want in
predictable places, and I find its library use and management pretty
straight forward, once I learned a minimum amount of its query
language.

> in short, whatever works for you, cool,

In the words of G'Kar in "Born to the Purple", "This, at least, we can
agree on."

--
Jeffrey Kaplan                                         www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled             Send personal mail to gordol

"You are not in my shoes."  "Too bad.  You'd be amazed at what I could
do in a pair of size 18 boots."  (Lt. Cmdr. Worf and Lt. Dax, ST:DS9
"Looking For Par'Mach In All The Wrong Places")

--- SBBSecho 2.11-Win32
 * Origin: Time Warp of the Future BBS - Home of League 10 (1:14/400)