Möte BABYLON5, 17862 texter
Skriven 2006-05-25 08:10:00 av Robert E Starr JR (1012.babylon5)
Ärende: Re: An Open Plea to Mr St
=================================
   * * * This message was from AC to rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.m * * *
         * * * and has been forwarded to you by Lord Time * * *

@MSGID: <Lulcg.14$bO5.7@newsfe2-win.ntli.net>
@REPLY: <lMWdnTqvNuQl7fHZRVny1Q@bt.com>

"Matthew Sprange" <spare@mongoosepublishing.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys,
>
> I was a little non-plussed to see this post here.  My original post was
> intended to answer the issues raised on this forum and attempt to
> demonstrate to fans that our motives were a little better than had been
> portrayed (perhaps the post could have had a better title, but I digress).
> However, the post was also emailed directly to Mr Straczynski, along with
> other notes for his eyes.  I find it unfortunate that he chose to reply
> here rather than privately.
>
> The following responses are made because I have a feeling this is the only
> way Mr Straczynski will see them.  I would much prefer to do this on the
> phone or in person.  I hope you all realise that.
>
>>> do so because Mr Straczynski has not answered any of our direct emails
>>> for
>>> some time.
>>
>> No, that is not the case.  This is public because you have been making
>> public claims about my involvement, which led fans of B5 to ask me
>> about it in a public manner, to which I responded.
>
> You have not answered any of our communications for quite some time - this
> could have been resolved, one way or another, quite some time ago if you
> had.
>
>>> I fully understand that Mr Straczynski may be unaware of the processes
>>> involved in the approval process at Warner Brothers for publishers such
>>> as
>>> ourselves, particularly after the recent changes in their procedures.
>>
>> I have been dealing with B5 licensees for ten years.  I think I
>> understand the system, which has not changed overmuch.
>
> There have certainly been some changes on the publishing side, with the
> new system that came into operation a year or so ago.  It is also worth
> pointing out that, to my knowledge, there have not been a huge amount of
> Babylon 5 licencees over the past few years.  I would have to check, but I
> have a feeling that we are the only new ones.
>
>>> However, everything (and I mean _everything_) we publish or manufacture
>>> for
>>> Babylon 5 is approved by Warner Brothers, via their Burbank offices.
>>
>> Curious, since on contacting some of the folks at WB licensing they
>> don't seem to be aware of any recent submissions for approval.
>
> We can go round and round on this, but until you and I can open direct
> communication and I can demonstrate just what has been happening, we are
> going to get nowhere.
>
> However, looking at our correspondence with Warner Brothers, the last
> thing to be approved was less than a month ago - it was the cover for the
> Ship Builder's Manual.  Ten days before that, the Drakh Fact Book.  Before
> that, the GM's Screen, before that the Call to Arms Starter Set, and so
> on.
>
> I am quite happy to send you a screen capture of all of this.  I am quite
> happy to take great measures to prove to you that I have not been
> [...]

Mathew, you are wasting your time here. Virtually every one will fall in
line behind Joe, and you wont get any form of a resonable hearing. Im sorry
you are getting a rough time here. I wish people here could see beyond thier
own worship of JMS.

The good news is that there are millions of B5 fans who dont read this NG
and dont see JMS as some sort of infaliable perfection. The people here only
represent a minirity of JMS fans.

JMS clearly has issues, but clearly he is not in the driving seat. WB is.
JMS knew what he was signing up for, and its a bit late, 10years later, to
get upperty now. Yes, I know he is upset about your comments of his
involvement, but I am detecting more than just that in his replies. And
being that he is a writer, I assume he is being quite precise with his use
of language. As it comes across as angry, I assume he is angry. But I dont
really see why he is so angry with you over what appears to be a
misunderstanding. Im guessing that you have become the whipping boy for his
frustration with WB and the industry in general.

At the end of the day, WB own the rights and can, and clearly have, given
you what ever permission you need. JMS has no right to be putting your work
down. Yes he created the B5 universe, but he also sold it. So, it is not his
any more to control. Its like trying to control you kids after they have
grown up and left home. And I dont think you really need his endorsement,
only WB's; although, I agree it would be best if that were the case.

Also, since he no longer owns the work, he is in NO position to dictate
canon. WB are. They own it. B5 is theirs. If WB want to continue the
universe they own and call it canon, they can. If they want you to write it,
they can. If they wanted Joe to do it, they would ask. But they clearly
havent or Joe has turned them down. Who's problem is that? I dunno, but it
is definately not yours. Perhaps, if JMS is so concerned with the puirity of
the future of B5, he might put us out of our Crusade misery and knock out
the odd book him self. Or at least comission / allow some one else to.

A few people will only accept JMS endorsed work as canon, but remember,
there are millions of B5 fans who may not agree with them. Folk here might
well slag you and your work off, but many wont and will appreciate your
work. Since I reckon official Crusade books will sell like hot cakes, I can
help think that it would be in JMS's best interests to swallow some pride
and be involved. Lets face it, if your books do sell, what is JMS gonna do?
Try to subvert your efforts with a "fairy tail"? Suddenly release his own
version? Will could then have 2 versions of Crusade and a fan split. How
will it go down if the masses prefer your version?

Ultimately, I feel that untill JMS himself offers something in the B5
Universe, I think he should back off and let others do it with good grace,
with his involvement or not. And refrain form sniping at those who have been
authorised to do so.

Now for the inevitable ...........

All the Best,

AC

--- SBBSecho 2.11-Win32
 * Origin: Time Warp of the Future BBS - Home of League 10 (1:14/400)