Möte BABYLON5, 17862 texter
Skriven 2006-01-06 14:43:10 av Kay Shapero (1:102/524.0)
Ärende: [1 of 8] JMS posts to moderated b5 newsgroup
This is a collection of recent posts by JMS to the newsgroup
rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
See also http://america.net/~judge for Dirk Loedding's archives
of JMS posts.
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 13:07:36 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: Attn JMS - B5 Plates
From: jmsatb5@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

derekcb...@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm one of those rare genre fans who collects plates.  I remember back
> during the third or fourth season of Babylon 5 receiving a notice from
> a company, probably The Hamilton Collection, about a series of B5
> Collector Plates.  I immediately signed up for them, but about six
> months later they wrote and said that the series wasn't going to be
> made due to lack of interest.
>
> Did you ever see the test plates?  Were they any good?  Do you happen
> have them?

I saw one of them, but that was the extent of it.  I don't think they
went into production.

jms

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 22:14:16 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: Script Book Volume 1 Received
From: jmsatb5@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

As promised, here's the list of countries that have picked up the
script books:

Australia
Austria
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
China (mainland)
Costa Rica
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Great Britain
Greece
Hong Kong
Hungary
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Japan
Latvia
Luxembourg
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Puerto Rico
Russia
Serbia
Singapore
Spain
Sweden
United States
United Arab Emirates
Zaire

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 22:09:52 +0000 (UTC)
From: jmsatb5@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

Wendy of NJ wrote:

> If you have access to your web site statistics, it's always fun to see
> the list of countries that visit the site.

I'll get that info and post it.

> Is this the first time you've been so intimately involved in the sales
> end of your stuff?

I am and I'm not, both at the same time...the B5scripts sales team came
to me about five months ago with the idea of doing this, and they've
handled all of the production elements, assembling the book, proofing,
layout, working with Cafe Press, answering emails and
inquiries...basically doing all the heavy lifting.  My job has been to
find the author's preferred drafts of the scripts, photos and memos,
send them on over, and write the intros and some of the web site copy
since they felt that this really needed to be in my voice.  So in that
respect, it's really not *that* much different than when I've had a
novel published or the like.  I don't really get into the sales aspect
of it much, except to receive periodic reports and updates, and to let
folks know when stuff is going up.

But it's been a fascinating endeavor, because this kind of venue is the
ONLY one where you could put out 14 volumes of this material, this
quickly.  It's a bit tough keeping up with it all sometimes, but in the
end I think it's definitely worthwhile.

jms

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 08:01:53 +0000 (UTC)
From: jmsatb5@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

Jan wrote:
> And for those looking forward to Volume 2, the website now shows that it'll
be
> available for ordering November 26 at 6:00 PM pacific.
>
> JMS seems to be having a great time writing the volume descriptions.  Check
out
> http://www.babylon5scripts.com/Vol02.htm .

Sometimes I get a little loopy, yeah....

BTW, a number of SF-oriented bookstores have started buying copies in
groups, so that they can get it at the discounted rate during the 7 day
window, and sell them thereafter at the cover price, making a ten buck
profit per book...something I hadn't thought about or mentioned as a
possibility until it began happening, which is actually kind of a cool
idea.

They've now sold copies to over 30 countries, including Zaire and
Saudia Arabia, which for some reason just astonishes me.

jms

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 01:40:55 +0000 (UTC)
From: jmsatb5@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

Amy Guskin wrote:

> >> JMS seems to be having a great time writing the volume descriptions.
Check
> >> out
> >> http://www.babylon5scripts.com/Vol02.htm .
> >

> > He's been looking at those blurbs for horror movies from the '50's
> > again, hasn't he? <<
>
> Which reminds me: if you haven't seen "The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra" yet,
> run, do not walk, to your local video store and rent it.  Now.  I'm serious.
> It's incredibly funny, and should inspire many drinking games.  It's a parody
> of 50s horror movies, but done by playing it as a nearly absolutely deadpan
> straight homage.  It's just hilarious.  Trust me.  Go get it.  Now.

I have to concur with Amy's description of the movie.  I picked it up
on a whim on DVD and loved it.  (The ancillary features are also pretty
funny.)  If you know the SF/horror movies produced during the period
they're spoofing -- and sadly I've seen all of them, from the really
yucky stuff to the silly stuff, Attack of the Crab Monster, Robot
Monster, on and on -- then you're the perfect audience for this
particular movie, which also shows what you can do with something like
forty grand to make a movie.  It's just fall-over funny.

jms

Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:43:58 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: Attn JMS: No Act Breaks in "The Gathering"
From: jmsatb5@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

There is only one date, the 29th, and it appears at the end of the last
episodic commentary.

jms

Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 02:51:34 +0000 (UTC)
From: jmsatb5@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

HC wrote:

> > It actually is kind of cool...we just did the last tweaks to volume
> > two, I added a few things to the intro the other day, and it'll be out
> > now around the 26th.  I find that aspect quite a bit of fun.
> >

> Hm.. I had hoped they would come out on a monthly basis or somewhere along
> those lines, so i could manage to buy 'em as they came out at the discount
> rate..

They'll be coming out about every 3-4 weeks, so we're still on target
for that.

jms

Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 01:11:05 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: jms in new zealand
From: jmsatb5@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

Dan Dassow wrote:
> jmsatb5@aol.com wrote:
> > For B5 folks down south -- as in way, WAY down south -- pending work
> > commitments, I'll be appearing at the Armageddon Pulp Culture Expo in
> > Auckland next year, from October 22-24th 2006.  (Also appearing at the
> > con: Gates McFadden, John Rhys Davies, and a bunch of other folk.)
> > This will be my first trip to New Zealand, and I'm looking forward to
> > seeing the place.
> >
> > jms
> >
> > www.babylon5scripts.com
>
> Hm.... I wonder whether this indicates that you will be interacting
> with WETA and/or Peter Jackson during your trip to New Zealand
> regarding future projects. One can hope.

I definitely plan on stopping by and saying hello...I've met a few
folks from there before who are B5 fans and they've said if ever I'm in
the area, to do so.

jms

Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:04:56 +0000 (UTC)
From: jmsatb5@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

Ken Sharp wrote:
> Hi, Joe,
>
> I couldn't help but notice the lack of act breaks in the early Gathering
> script. Just curious, did you intentionally structure it to work as a
> feature script in case the pilot deal fell through?

We didn't know if it would go for network or cable or syndication, and
each of those has differente act break structures, so when I wrote it,
I went straight through but layered in points to break it for each one
of those depending on where we ended up.

Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 01:29:53 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: Volume 1
From: jmsatb5@aol.com

--- MsgPost v1.01
 * Origin: StormGate Aerie.. all alone in the net... (1:102/524)