Möte BABYLON5, 17862 texter
Skriven 2006-01-06 14:43:10 av Kay Shapero (1:102/524.0)
Ärende: [6 of 8] JMS posts to moderated b5 newsgroup
October 2006.  Other conventions include World Con in Anaheim in
August, San Diego Comic Con in July, and Heroes Convention in North
Carolina in June.

There's other stuff as well, but those are the high points for the
moment.

jms

message content (c) 2005
by Synthetic Worlds, Ltd.
Permission to Reprint
Specificially Denied to SFX Magazine

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 02:52:55 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: ATTN: JMS: Comics Stuff
From: jmsatb5@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

Jeffrey O. Gustafson wrote:
> Some comic book questions...
>
> So, since The Other has started, I've had some questions about the
> process of the whole thing.  Your work in Amazing has been leading up
> to the events here for *quite* a while, and as you are writing the
> nominal conclusion of the main part of this arc, what was your role in
> the first two (six, actually) parts?  Was there an outline that Peter
> David and Reginald Hudlin had to follow?  Or was their work informally
> covered in the last Spidey conference here in The City.

At the Spidey retreat, I turned in a rough outline, with most of the
major beats, which were then assigned out to the various writers, who
then added on their own aspects.

> With Marvel's recent announcement about "Annhilation," and the
> subsequent Silver Surfer mini by Keith Giffen, what is the status of
> your Silver Surfer mini?

It's still moving ahead.  Esad Ribic has finished the art for the first
issue, and is now working on issue two.  It's going to be a long haul,
because these are all painted pages, very detailed, and I imagine that
Keith's book will be ready to go long before ours, so no reason to hold
him up.

> How cool is it to be working, even indirectly, with your old friends
> Peter David and Neil Gaiman?

Not so much working with Neil on any of this, actually...and after the
outlines went to Peter and Reggie, that was pretty much the end of it,
minus appearing at some cons afterward.

> And have you ever read any of Chris Ware's work?

I don't believe so, but it could also be that the name just isn't
ringing a bell, and I find that the bell seems to get farther and
farther down the hall these days....

jms

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 02:58:47 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: ATTN JMS: OT - What are your favorite current comics?
From: jmsatb5@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

Seeker Wearing Sneakers wrote:
> Hello Joe,
>
> I was just wondering if you read any of the current comics being published,
> and if so, what are your personal favorites?  I'm not talking about your own
> work, of course, but if you are a fan of any other particular writer
> currently working for Marvel or any other publisher.
>
> Aside from your stuff on ASM, FF, and BoLS, I have really gotten into the
> stuff that Robert Kirkman has been writing.  I'm also a big fan of Eric
> Powell, too.  I think that the three of you guys are at the top right now.
>
> Also, as much as I love the comics, it'll be nice to see your name on either
> the small or large screen.  I hope your projects all work themselves out.

I tend to think in terms of the writers I like, rather than the
books...so leaving aside the guys with whom I work and would thus be
naturally inclined (millar/bendis/loeb), I'd mention Greg Rucka, Paul
Chadwick (whose work I'd go anywhere to read), Stan Sakai, I love what
the Wachowskis are doing with Doc Frankenstein, and I have to be honest
and say that across the board, the guys at DC have upped their game, I
think they're telling better stories and more character-based stuff,
even though some of the big crossover stuff gets a little too intricate
for my tastes.  I love that Hal Jordan is back.  It feels to me as if
they're really going back to their roots, and that's commendable.

jms

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 03:02:21 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: JMS: Year-end update?
From: jmsatb5@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

iplatizky@yahoo.com wrote:

> JMS
>
> How many comics are you writing exactly know?

I don't know what I exactly know, but in terms of the books, for the
moment, there's:

Minis:

Supreme Power: Hyperion (almost finished)
Silver Surfer: Requiem (half finished)

Regular monthly books:

Squadron Supreme (debuting March)
Fantastic Four
Amazing Spider-Man
Book of Lost Souls

jms

Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 08:46:52 +0000 (UTC)
From: jmsatb5@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

iplatizky@yahoo.com wrote:

> JMS
>
> Any updates on the Babylon 5 Graphic Novel from Wildstorm?
>
> IP

The script is about halfway done, should be turned in first part of the
year.

jms

Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 01:10:28 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: ATTN JMS: Quick One About How You Write
From: jmsatb5@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

Brent F. Osgood wrote:
> When writing, do you tend to visualize the scenes/pages before/as you
> write?  That is, do you use mental images to help shape the words, or is
>   it purely a "written" thing?
>
> Does your answer change depending on what you're writing?
>
> I asked David Foster Wallace that and he said he didn't have use mental
> images as he wrote, that it was pretty much in his head as words and
> that's how it came out.  I asked him because he did a reading where he
> previewed "Incarnations of Burned Children" and it painted such a
> picture in my head it was like I was creating the movie as I listened.
>
> Since you work in more visual media (or in tandem with them), I wondered
> if it made a difference.
>
> -Brent

Mark Twain said you should never begin writing something until you have
finished it to your satisfaction.  So that's what I try to do.  I close
my eyes and see every scene, every line, until it's clear.  If I hit a
roadblock, I back up and go another way until the whole thing goes
smoothly.  Only then do I sit down to write out what I've now seen.

For me it works...for somebody else, it could be the worst thing in the
world.

jms

Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 01:11:36 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: Upcoming Silver Surfer: Requiem
From: jmsatb5@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

Mat Shafer wrote:
> Good evening Joe,
>      First off, I wish to thank you for your genius ability of
> story-telling. I have been an admirer of your work before I knew who
> you were. To give you a clue, I was like 11 or so when Captain Power
> came out and loved the futuristic storyline ( Again I was 11). Then the
> year I graduated, I was home before getting ready for work and noticed
> this interesting TV Movie was coming on, so I set my VCR. It was B5.
> The rest is history.
> I have been blown away with the intensity of your storytelling in the
> comic books. and have been waiting anxiously for Silver Surfer. Can you
> give us any insight into what the storyline will be?

Thank you for the kind words.  Unfortunately, everyone involved with
the mini is sworn to silence on its contents, so there's nothing I can
say...but if you're looking for that intensity, believe me, you'll find
it in the mini.

jms

Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 01:13:00 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: ATTN JMS - script book season opening voiceovers
From: jmsatb5@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

rob@battleaxe.demon.co.uk wrote:
> Nearly finished reading script book volume 1 and enjoyed it so much
> more than I expected I ordered vol 2 and I've put it under the tree to
> give me something to look forward to.  Christmas will be good this
> year.
>
> The one thing I was looking forward to was the voiceover lines on the
> opening credits.  I've not found them yet, so if they're not in vol 2
> will they be appearing at all since the logical place for the S1
> variant will have passed ?

I didn't think there'd be any interest in having them there, since they
can be transcribed fairly easily.  I can include them in a bunch at
some point if there's any interest.  I may also have a memo or two
describing the layout for the editor for one or two of them.

jms

Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 00:46:58 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: Joe and Harlan at the Movies
From: jmsatb5@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

Keith Cramer wrote:
> Joe,
>
> Harlan sent me.  Well, Harlan sent everyone, really.  There has been a
> thread over on Webderland recently of rude movie behavior, and Harlan
> popped in and said the following:
>
> "Some day, when I get up the proper mind-set to retell the tales, I'll
> ensorcel you with the two best "shutting up people who talk in movies"
> stories in my repertoire of intentional, over-the-top violence in public

--- MsgPost v1.01
 * Origin: StormGate Aerie.. all alone in the net... (1:102/524)