Möte BINKD, 1119 texter
Skriven 2007-05-06 17:30:54 av mark lewis (1:3634/12.0)
    Kommentar till text 918 av Maurice Kinal (1:261/38.9)
Ärende: sln_sf  v0.1
====================

 ml> it seems to have been because you haven't appeared to be speaking of
 ml> FREQs in the _FIDONET_ sense of their definition...

 MK> Do you mean the FrontDoor sense or some other abandonware's sense?
 MK> I am not sure I know of any true fidonet software, abandonware or
 MK> otherwise.

no, i mean in the fidonet sense... specifically because a data packet/file
meeting specific requirements is transfered to the remote system which act on
it by processing it, gathering up the file(s) requested and passing them back
when the session turns around... remember that there are two sessions, at
minimum, in fidonet connections... the first is caller->destination and the
second is destination->caller with the possibility of at least one more session
of like manner (both ways)...

 ml> mistaken, FREQs were invented by fidonet to make it easier to move
 ml> files around...

 MK> If you say so.

don't take my sayso... it only takes a look at history with a critical eye on
the process described...

 MK> All my Fido days as a sysop I have yet to encounter any Fido
 MK> software on any OS, especially not linux.

hunh??

 MK> I've used ftp for file transfers when it matters.  If I relied on
 MK> Fido I wouldn't be here as a point

or a node, which you seem to leave out here and there ;)  besides, a point
system is just a superuser almost akin to being a sysop ;)

 MK> or have a node running binkd

binkd is fidonet software even though it doesn't follow traditional fidonet
methods... that was one of my initial arguments with the binkp protocol,
FWTW... i (didi then and still do) believe that the binkp protocol should have
been incorporated into the existing fidonet protocol matrix...

 ml> remote has FREQs enabled, one only need send a FREQ and get the
 ml> file...

 MK> An interesting idea.  Like you said, there was a bash script posted
 MK> here that ought to take care of that for binkd.

yes, and that script processed the SRIF request packet which you initially
appeared to dislike or some such... you comment something about being overkill
seemed to point to that, anyway...

 ml> the equation... this is why there's several trying to explain this
 ml> stuff to you ;)

 MK> Yes but they totally ignore answering the real question.  Same with
 MK> you.  I know what a FREQ is.

and what is that real question? i'm sure that others are also wondering what
your definition of a FREQ is, too ;)

 ml> no doubt... you're stuck in a pretty closed environment up there ;)

 MK> It is very nice.  I am not stuck with any one way of doing anything
 MK> and get to choose what works best for what I want.  I can even do
 MK> Fido, and am willing to take it further.  Maybe someday.  I have
 MK> the basics down.

hehehe.. what i was looking at was that you dismiss much of fidonet standards,
procedures and protocols as not needed because you can do similar things with
non-fidonet technology between your point system and your full node... but the
main point is about the full node, not the point ;)

 ml> you do lead a sheltered life

 MK> I got spoiled.  I learned all this stuff when there was no MS to
 MK> tell me what I wanted.

as did many of us... even the creator of fidonet, who was a BIOS programmer for
phoenix when all this stuff got started way back in yesteryear ;) ;)

 ml> if you think there are no linux based ftn mailers... binkd is but
 ml> one... there's at least two or three bbs' that also include
 ml> mailers and i know of two or three other standalone jobbers that
 ml> were the very first ones...

 MK> Sounds good.  I haven't seen too many of those on Fido.

that's part of that sheltered life i was speaking of ;)  IFCICO was one of the
first...

 ml> if your system doesn't support FREQs then why does your nodelist
 ml> entry fly the XX flag? X? flags indicate FREQs are supported and
 ml> should not be used if FREQ capabilities are disabled... you seem to
 ml> be indicating that you have them disabled...

 MK> I didn't know.  Better tell whoever is in charge then.

that's up to you... you're the one who should be telling your net coordinator
what flags are proper for your node ;) O:)

 ml> WaZOO is covered in FTS-0006 along with the YOOHOO and YOOHOO/2U2
 ml> procedures...

 MK> Nothing like that here.

only because you're using binkd but the real question is what were you using
before you started using binkd?

 ml> i dunno as i havn't ever gotten a files listing from your system...

 MK> Mostly source code.  Some personal email.  I have some music that I
 MK> encoded way back when.  Nothing that too many people would find
 MK> interesting.

source code and music sound like something that someone else may be interested
in... i doubt that anyone would want to pull any mail from another system
unless it was destined for them or they were trying to do something
underhanded... i was actually thinking of possibly an ISO or something of a
preconfigured system made with ttylinux or such... even textfiles with details
and instructions on how and why on stuff...

 ml> you've pointed out, in the past, that you do move stuff via ftp but
 ml> it appeared that you were speaking of that from the client side
 ml> instead of from the server side...

 MK> Actually both ways but this point only does client.  The worldly
 MK> connected 486 has vsftpd running on it.  It also has binkd but not
 MK> as part of the system (ramdisk).  I could move that part to any
 MK> machine and it would work.  Plug and play gone insane.  :-)

that great! but even so, it is still a necessary part of that system for you to
participate here ;) ;)

 ml> other than stuff for ttylinux, i don't have any idea what you may
 ml> have available if anything at all...

 MK> Right.  No FronDoor or anything of that nature.  No DOS or OS/2
 MK> runtimes

that's beside the point... some might call it a distractive argument...

 MK> so that pretty well eliminates the need for so-called
 MK> "Fido" FREQs.

nah, i can't say that at all... i'd love to be able to read, in an echo like
LINUX, that you have an iso of ttylinux available and simply create a FREQ to
your system and then have it show up at some later point... completely
automated and without my intervention... if you offered POTS connectivity as
well as internet, i could choose either... POTS would be the fastest, though,
and that due to the dedicated pipe unless we both had something that could
achieve transfers faster then 56kbps O:)

 MK> I like the concept and might steal that for something else.  I
 MK> have an idea how I could make it work for myself using ftp.

steal away! that's why fidonet standards are published and available to whoever
desires to use them... in fact, that's what fidonet is all about...

)\/(ark

 * Origin:  (1:3634/12)