Skriven 2006-05-02 18:10:26 av Carol Shenkenberger (6:757/1)
     Kommentar till en text av Glen Jamieson
Ärende: Re: CHICKEN 472 60430
=============================
*** Quoting Glen Jamieson from a message to Carol Shenkenberger ***

 -=> Quoting Carol Shenkenberger to Dale Shipp <=-

 CS> on chicken, I almost never bother to debone before cooking.  I use the
 CS> bones afterwards <g>.  Then again, I probably use whole chickens as
 CS> often as thighs (my preferred meat off the bird).  On the ship, they
 CS> cut up whole birds and the thighs tend to go pretty fast.

GJ> I bought a "Boiler hen" the other day.  At only $2.20 it was cheap,
GJ> but that wasn't my reason for choosing it.  I wanted to cook an
GJ> Indonesian dish which required long cooking before the chicken became
GJ> tender enough to eat, so that the spicy sauce could penetrate deeply
GJ> into the meat.  It was a lot of work, stirring it frequently, and

Yes.  You want a 'free range' (or near it older hen) for that.  Thats what i
normally get although our meat eating is lower than most so cornish hens creap
in.

 CS> definately go for the pre-peeled garlic.  That one is a major
 CS> timesaver and Don's Japanese Doc (the recipe one) recommended we eat as
 CS> much of it as we can so now, it's there in lots of stuff.

GJ> That is a useful pre-prep.  I wonder how it is done...  An advantage
GJ> would be that you could see if it has any nasty brown bits in it.
GJ> Don's Japanese doc has the right idea.  There is no such thing as too
GJ> much garlic!

Grin, it's done by hand here.  I see them doing it all the time.  The 'family
is all' here and older relatives are highly valued but they also continue
forever making whatever contribution they can.  If they cant stand to tend an
active store, they are sitting on a pallet or on a padded stool, peeling
things while the younger generation does the more active part.  So, for a 10%
increase in price (nominal when getting just 100yen worth anyways) I get much
pleasure and 'face' with the local people by the way I shop.

Convience foods in the states are a 200% markup.  In Japan, it's done by hand
at the food stall in spare time and is normally 10% increase.  I might add, I
get 'same price as Japanese housewife' here.  Thats why it can be cheaper as
well as more fun to shop at Tonoo market for me.

GJ> will adjust to life in USA when you return there.

GJ> As you know, I have spent considerable time working outside of my home
GJ> country, more recently on volunteer assignments.  The organisation I
GJ> work for - Australian Business Volunteers - has Internet accessible
GJ> courses to prepare volunteers for culture differences between
GJ> Australia and client countries.  These are very valuable, particularly
GJ> for those volunteers who do not have prior overseas work experience.
GJ> I presume you also have a similar training before location in such
GJ> places as Sasebo.   In addition to that kind of preparation, ABS has a

Actually we get it after arrival though there is a sort of mass orientation
class we all get before shipping overseas.  That one is not all that area
specific.  Once we get here to Sasebo, we get a 5 day class but 3 days of it
is probably what the base has to offer.  Like most who assimulated well, I
learned it on my own after they said 'dont be scared, just go out and have a
smile and expect some things to be different'.

We have nothing to help us re-acquaint back to stateside changes and i'm
slightly concerned.  All that 9/11 homesecurity stuff happened after I moved
to Japan.  (Homeside security?  Homeland Security?  One of those names).

GJ> sort of adjustment, as it enables you to become familiar with day to
GJ> day living in USA, and more importantly, gives you personal
GJ> connections and friends to associate with when you return.  From
GJ> reading your postings recently you appear to be preparing yourself
GJ> well.  Hopefully your family also.

Hope so!  Charlotte is the one i am worried about.  Stateside school system at
grade 8 for the first time since grade 1 graduation.

GJ> I have known long term expatriates who have come back to Australia
GJ> with no preparation, and who have led lonely, unhappy lives for years
GJ> afterwards, but I think you will manage much better.

Grin, I will be fine.  Don should be ok once he finds a good bar again (the old
one changed a bit and he's not gay-accepting like you and I are but he's eased
up quite a bit over the years with me on that). Anyways, his old bar is now a
gay bar (mixed, just 20% gay it sounds and the sort of place I'd have fun at
for the variety) and the earlier one he used to go to that was shifting is
mostly gay (and has drugs so neither of us think that place is good anymore)
and partly 'biker' (Biker can be ok if they are older but the 20something
crowd tends to be too wild).  His first bar may be a hit of luck again as the
management drove out the young bikers and are anathma on drugs and the heavey
levening of retired military and active means it will probably match his
conversation needs.

I guess it sounds silly, but to me, thats a part of the process to go back to
the USA, to find a place for Don to have a beer in comfort-level and chat with
folks and make new friends.  Oh and he's not 'anti-gay' just uncomfortable
enough that he'd be happy to stay with Keven as long as he didnt hear noises
from the bedroom or have to overtly talk about it <g>.  I think if he met
Kevin, he'd chat fishing and cooking and just get quiet if Kev mentionsany
boyfriends.  He'd definately not be overt in any reaction about it ;-)

Charotte's most recent talk is more about bullies.  She's got some like any kid
has.  Not happy at alln about that but we talked about it.
                                       xxcarol

--- Telegard v3.09.g2-sp4
 * Origin: SHENK'S EXPRESS, Sasebo Japan 81-6160-527330 (6:757/1)