Skriven 2007-04-22 21:48:18 av LYNN SACERDOTE (1:123/140)
Ärende: Another New York Trip - Part 3
======================================
So, after rehydrating at Cafe Palermo, we were off again to see
where the old punk rock club, CBGB, on the Bowery. And, as
usual, we were on the wrong end of the street. We started at
about 150 Bowery, in the light district (where you can get some
absolutely amazing light fixtures, by the way.) Closer to where
the club used to be, there was this little record shop that
specialized in trance, techno, and other forms of dance music.
Peter spent a good half hour or more in there while Katie and
I crashed on a couch listening to the music that the DJ was
spinning. It was pretty awesome. After that, we all took a few
shots outside of the old club (the only thing that was left on
the building was a bunch of graffiti that said "CBGB was here"
and some random obscenities and the empty awning. It was a sad,
lonely sight. After that, we moved on and hopped onto the
nearest train that we could find that would take us back uptown.

But we were pretty much lost looking at a subway map. There
was a guy standing around that looked like he knew what he
was doing, so when Peter asked him, he used a variety of hand
motions to tell us where to go. The guy was mute, but still
nice enough to tell us where to go. (I had to interpret,
because neither Katie nor Peter could tell what he was saying.)
He steered us in more or less the right direction, and we were
on our way again. By this time, we were hungry, it was
getting late, so we brought ourselves into Times Square and
found West 44th Street.

There was a restaurant there called John's Pizzeria, and it was
recommended to us by dad's friends Cindy and Carol. There was
a fifteen minute wait, but it didn't take us that long to get
seated. We ordered a marguerita pizza.

Marguerita Pizza: Brooklyn style pizza loaded with fresh sauce
and fresh mozzarella cheese. It was HUGE, and really
exceptional. The place was established in an old church,
complete with stained glass windows and a dome overhead. It was
extremely beautiful. The service was fast, the staff was
friendly, and the pizza was pretty cheap as well. Our whole meal,
including drinks, was $18.45. The pizza cost us $14.50, not
including tax.

By the time we got out of the pizzeria, it was getting dark,
and we wanted to go back to the village to check out the
nightlife. We went back down to the subways and hopped on a
train that looked like it was going the right way. Katie sat
down on the only available seat, and Peter and I stood up,
looking at a subway map that he had brought with him.

This really nice businessman asked us if we needed help
getting to where we were going, and at the next stop, guided
us out of the train and up the stairs to point out to us where
to go next. He was extremely nice to us, and we apologized
for making him have to wait for the next train, to which he
only said, "Being a little behind schedule is much better than
having you kids get lost in the city." And, with a smile,
vanished back into the subways. By this time, it was dark, and
we walked throughout the Village, looking through other small
shops that we hadn't seen before.

Katie and I decided that we wanted ice cream, so we started to
scope out a place that served it. And I found the place that
I saw from a tourist bus when we went last August with Manny
and the Fords: an ice cream shop called Cones. I got a
two-flavor cup that included white chocolate ice cream and
tiramisu ice cream. Katie got chocolate ice cream, and Peter
vanished into the record shop next door.

White Chocolate ice cream: Fantastic. Ther's no other way to
describe it. Rich, but not heavy. Made with good white
chocolate, not the cheap stuff. Bits of the white chocolate
could be found throughout in the form of both shavings and
chunks. The only way to describe it is fabulous.

Tiramisu ice cream: Even more fantastic. This ice cream tasted
exactly like a tiramisu, from the espresso flavor dancing
across your tongue to the slight aftertaste of chocolate that
lingers for only a few seconds. Words do not do these ice
creams justice.

This desert, a two flavor cup with four scoops, cost me five
dollars even. And, thanks to the dude next to me, I even got
to take a few lactose pills so I wouldn't get extremely sick.

And, I had to ask the owner what made the ice creams so...well,
amazing. There had to be some kind of secret ingredient in
there. And there was. He told me that part of what makes his
ice creams taste so good is that they're all made with fresh
whipped cream. It makes them rich, yet not heavy. Or so he said.
I'd totally recommend this place to anyone that finds it. It was
fantastic.

When Peter got back, we were all beat and decided that it was a
good time to pack up and head home. We'd done more than our
fair share of walking, shopping, and eating for one day. So,
we hopped back onto the subway.

We got lost again, of course. And Peter had lost his Metro pass.
He freaked out and I tried to let him use mine, but the machine
buzzed 'just used' and wouldn't let him go through. I bought
him a one hour pass for a whopping two bucks. By the time we had
actually gotten into the subway tunnel, it was 9:30 and we had
no idea which way to go. The only other person in the tunnel
with us was this really shady looking guy.

Peter and I were looking at all the stops on the map inside the
tunnel. Katie was sitting on a bench waiting for the next train.
We noted that none of the trains made a stop remotely near where
we wanted to be, and we were starting to wonder where we were
supposed to go. The shady looking guy asked us which way we were
headed, and what stop before giving us the directions we wanted
to go in. We followed his instructions, which turned out to be
right, and once we were back on Lorimer Street, Peter went back
to fetch the car and pick us up at the station.

Thus concludes our latest adventure through New York City
 * Origin: Doc's Place BBS Fido Since 1991 docsplace.tzo.com (1:123/140)