Skriven 2007-08-03 00:19:00 av MICHAEL LOO (1:123/140)
Ärende: Thursday 928
====================
Wednesday, as I said, I'd talked to the old man on the
phone, and he was scared and disoriented. And both
S.Y. and Jonathan contacted me with problems ... the
Chinese, in such a situation, throw up their hands
and say "Ai-ya!" and do nada. I got on the horn at 10 pm
and threw a couple hundred more dollars in the way of my
bloodsuckers, er, friends, United Airlines. I could have
saved fifty by flying US Air to Baltimore, but in this
case it seemed that time was of the essence.

0802 UA 469 BOS IAD 0747 0923 319 6F

Reservation made, I went to bed and got a few fitful
hours' rest, then up to fret some more and then to
the airport. Out at 6:30, at Logan at 6:58, at the
Red Carpet Club at 7:05, on the plane at 7:30.

SuperShuttle took me right to the hospital (not the
usual Sibley, which is farther from the rehab place).
I found him at dialysis, where he was carrying on a
conversation with an imaginary Dr. Evan Hersh (the
name is real, but the doc is I believe long gone).
He's hovering between worlds, I reckon. When he
caught sight of me, he exclaimed, "Michael! ... where
are you?" I had to do some explaining to get him
convinced I was actually there, upon which he started
bossing me around.

Entertained myself with the hospital menu and ordered
him a cheeseburger, milk, carrots, and diet custard.
Ordered this for 1:45, allowing for inefficiency by
the dialysis center, but we were back to the room at 1.
Interestingly, the meal came up right away. The burger
was decent! - a quarter-pounder that tasted like beef
and flame. The carrots - shriveled weird things, very
sweet (perfect for a diabetic). The custard was unlike
anything I'd ever encountered - a real egg texture, but
kind of broken, like Jell-O that you'd cut in pieces
and allowed to heal back together. My father ate most
of the burger, a few of the carrots, and a spoonful
of the custard.

Jonathan had promised to be at the hospital room at 1;
then he called to say 1:30, then 2, then 2:30. At 2:30
Harry from next door came, and we had a good chat.
Jonathan showed up just before 3. At least he showed
up. I took a break to have lunch - the caf had closed
at 2:30, but there was a sandwich-and-premade-pizza
shop in the hospital, where I had a toasted Genoa and
ham, not too bad, but expensive at $4 for a half sub.
When I returned, Jonathan disappeared to parts unknown.
He promised to be back at 7; it's now 7:30; visiting
hours end at 8. News flash: he showed up, having taken
the bus under the impression, acquired for reasons not
known that he was forbidden by someone (myself) from
taking the car.

Found art.

Suburban Hospital
ROOM SERVICE DINING MENU
To place your order
Dial 3663

May we suggest the following service times
* Breakfast 6:30 am - 9:30 am
* Lunch 11:30 am - 1:30 pm
* Dinner 4:00 pm - 6:30 pm

MAIN COURSES
Roast Turkey w/ Dressing and Gravy
Shaved Roast Beef w/ Grilled Vegetables
Chef's Seafood Selection of the Day
Stir Fry over Rice (Chicken or Tofu)
Create Your Own Pasta Bar (Penne or Spaghetti,
 w/ Marinara Sauce, Meatballs, Pesto)
Chicken with Pesto and Sun Dried Tomatoes
Salisbury Steak w/ Mushroom and Demi Glaces
ENTREE SALADS
Caesar Salad
Light Chef Salad
Caesar Salad w/ Chicken
Chef Salad
Fresh Fruit and Cottage Cheese Plate
Shrimp Salad Cold Plate
Fresh Fruit Plate
FROM THE GRILL
Grilled Chicken Breast on Bun
Grilled Hamburger or Cheeseburger on Bun
Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Fried Chicken Tenders
Vegetarian Boca Burger(tm) on Bun
Baked Fish Sandwich on Bun
Grilled Hot Dog on Bun
ACCOMPANIMENTS AND SIDES
Tossed Green Garden Salad
Italian Dressing
French Dressing
Ranch Dressing
Caesar Dressing
1000 Island Dressing
Oil and Vinegar
Low Fat Cottage Cheese
Cole Slaw
Potato Salad
Potato Chips
Baked Potato Chips
Pretzels
Whipped Potatoes
Macaroni and Cheese
Steamed Rice
Baked Potato
Penne Pasta
Baby Carrots
Broccoli Florets
Green Beans with Slivered Almonds
Vegetable Medley
Sauteed Spinach (Cream or Sauteed)
Zucchini w/ Tomatoes
DELI SANDWICHES
Sliced Roast Turkey
Sliced Roast Beef
Sliced Ham
Tuna Salad
Turkey Club
Chicken Salad
Shrimp Salad
Egg Salad
BLT
Peanut Butter and Jelly
EXTRAS:
American Cheese
LF American Cheese
Swiss Cheese
LF/LS Swiss Cheese
Provolone Cheese
Monterey Jack Cheese
Lettuce
Tomato
Onion
Pickle
SOUPS
Vegetable Minestrone
Tomato w/ Basil
Cream of Potato
Chef Soup of the Day
Chicken Noodle
LS Chicken Soup
Broth: (Chicken - Beef - Vegetarian)
BREADS
White
Whole Wheat
Rye
Kaiser Roll
Croissant
Tortilla
Dinner Roll
DESSERTS
Whole Fresh Fruit: Banana - Apple - Orange - Pear
Seasonal Fruit Cup
Grapes
Canned Fruit: Peaches - Pears - Pineapple -
 Fruit Cocktail - Prunes
Applesauce
Seasonal Fruit Crisp
Lemon Meringue Pie
Cheesecake (with or without topping)
Chocolate Cake
Angel Food Cake
Pudding: (Vanilla - Chocolate)
Diet Pudding: (Vanilla - Chocolate)
Custard
Diet Custard
Jell-O: (Orange - Strawberry - Lemon - Lime)
Sugar Free Jell-O: (Orange - Strawberry - Lemon - Lime)
Ice Cream: (Vanilla - Chocolate - Vanilla Lite)
Orange Sherbet
Lemon Italian Ice
Cookies: (Chocolate Chip - Oatmeal Raisin)
Vanilla Wafers
BEVERAGES
Coffee
Decaf Coffee
Herbal Tea
Hot Tea
Decaf Hot Tea
Iced Tea
Milk: Whole - 2% - Skim - Chocolate - Lactaid - Soy
Hot Chocolate
S/F Hot Chocolate
Cola
Diet Cola
Gingerale
Diet Gingerale
Lemon Lime Soda
Diet Lemon Lime Soda
Orange Juice
Cranberry Juice
Apple Juice
Grape Juice
Tomato Juice
Prune Juice
Spring Water
Lemonade

The staff of Suburban Hospital, in partnership with Sodexho
Healthcare Services, is committed to serving your individual
needs. We strive every day to achieve the highest level of
patient care possible. In keeping with that goal, we are
pleased to offer At Your Request Room Service Dining(tm).

ORDERING INFORMATION
At Your Request Room Service dining, allows you to order
what you want, when you want it. We hope this helps meet
your nutritional needs and makes your stay more enjoyable.
* Place your order by dialing 3663 anytime between 6:30 am
  and 6:30 pm.
* Please allow up to forty-five minutes for delivery.
* If you are on a modified or restricted diet, our Room
  Service Operator will help you with your selections.
* Please be aware of the following information when you call to order:
 * Your room number
 * Your prescribed diet order
 * The foods you would like to order
* If you so desire, you may pre-order your meals in advance. To do
 so, please inform our Room Service Operator when placing your order.
* Family members may place orders for loved ones from home, if needed.
* Additional items available upon request.

At Your Service...
Thank you for choosing Suburban Hospital. Our goal is to provide you
with the highest quality clinical care and to make your hospital
stay as comfortable as possible. That is why we want you to have
control over a very important aspect of your stay, your meals.

Our Room Service Dining program allows you to order from a
delicious array of choices and receive freshly prepared meals
within 45 minutes. You order what you feel like eating when
you feel like eating it.

Besides allowing you to feel a bit more pampered, this new system
helps us know immediately the nutritional content of what you're
eating. We can make sure your choices match any dietary restrictions
imposed by your conditions or medications.

You're here because you need expert medical attention and
compassionate care. At Suburban Hospital we are committed to
meeting those needs by providing you with the best possible
environment to heal.

When you are a patient at Suburban Hospital we do our best to
keep you from feeling like one.
 * Origin: Doc's Place BBS Fido Since 1991 docsplace.tzo.com (1:123/140)