Skriven 2007-10-20 16:40:40 av HAP NEWSOM (1:123/140)
     Kommentar till en text av CAROL SHENKENBERGER
Ärende: Kroger store, good place
================================
Hiya  Carol!

-> A Kroger store is next to the Home Depot now.  I went in after getting
-> the chimney cap while the chimney repairs were being done.
->
My sister in Knoxville shops at a Kroger (we don't have them out here on
the best coast). She calls it Kay Rogers (grin)and evidently it's pretty
good.

-> I really like that store!  I was looking at the asian area (they have
-> pocky but 1.78$ and Charlotte doesnt like them THAT much).  A lady near
-> me was looking at some things and the stock fellow was right near and
-> heard us starting to chat and came over.  I was commenting on the price
-> difference in some of the roducts in Japan (BTW, overall favorable on
-> Kroger's cost for the imported items).
->
LOL I knew you'd be surprised at the price of pocky!

-> The lady was looking for 'patis' and yet another place to get my
-> Tiparos!  Yes, they have it too.  She was looking at the fancy smaller
-> higher priced bottles but once I pointed out the sodium levels, she got
-> one.  The stock fellow joined in and said he was always being asked
-> about such things.  I showed him the backs of several bottles (he knows
-> about such very well) but that the 'portion size' also kicks in major on
-> telling how strong the 'brew' is.  One of the brands for example, used
-> 1/2 TB portions and was basically 'soy sauce' but 'engrished' from 'fish
-> sauce - generic name in asia, can be almost anything' to 'patis' and was
-> not actually patis at all.  The soy sauce choices were decent except
-> they do not have Datu Puti.
->
-> Get this, the store clerk drew me a map on how to find where the Asian
-> Grocery moved to!  He also called the manager and they wrote down the
-> name of the product (and how it's so much lower sodium than anything
-> else they had on the shelves) and are going to send up the chain to get
-> some.  It wasnt clear to me if just that store can vary, or if the chain
-> has to add it to a product line, or if it's there already but that store
-> didnt carry it.  If they can though, they are going to add it.
->
That's good service! It's good to have friends in the store! Now that
you're back in the 'States, you might have a look at mapquest.com...they
are pretty good for maps and driving instructions from place to place! For
example if you were going to take a weekend off and go visit Georgia Ruth,
you could mapquest driving instructions from your door to hers, with
mileage and approximate driving times!

-> The stock fellow has a handout from his home computer, available on
-> request which we got.  It lists the names of lower sodium products to
-> help shoppers.  Brand name and all, for things they carry.  Like, it
-> lists Contadina and Rotel as good choices for tomato canned products.
->
Yay for Rotel! I love that stuff for my chili con queso dip (one can rotel,
one pound velveeta melted in the microwave, and one pound Jimmy Dean pure
pork sausage (hot)cooked and drained of fat. Mix and dip with tortilla
chips). It's good initiative for him to have a hand out from home though!
That's a good sign!!

-> On to the fish section, we found the first place here with good looking
-> fish at a decent price.  We were *not* amused at the commisary fish.
-> Harris Teeter is not looking very good either and Food Lion didnt have
-> many choices nr did they look all that good.  BJs (a local SAMS like
-> place) had some that was so old, it scared us.
->
-> Wild caught tuna, 7.99 lb.  Not bad for here at this season.  Harris
-> Teeter wanted 14.99 lb and it didnt look as fresh.
->
-> Catfish- farm raised (doesnt bother us any) 2.99 lb.  Was close to 5$ at
-> Harris Teeters.  Salmon- 3.99 lb (didnt price this at Harris Teeter) and
-> the honesty to have a label right out front 'color added' (doesnt bother
-> us either).
->
I don't like farm raised salmon...but that's because I can catch my own or
buy locally caught wild salmon. Don't like the flavor of Farm raised, and
my personal preference is wild caught Pacific salmon coho, chinook, or
sockeye.

-> Shrimp were quite reasonable with prices ranging on size.  The customers
-> here do not like them with the heads, so I asked the 'fishmonger' (who
-> is also the butcher) if i can get the heads for a soup pot and he
-> laughed and said yes.  That normally he has to throw them out due to not
-> enough people asking for them.  He didnt have any just then but he gave
-> me the number to back there and i can call ahead and have him put some
-> aside.  50cents a lb.  (he'd be happy to give them free but it's not his
-> option).
->
Odds are the shrimp are from SE Asia as well! I may ask my fish guy if I
can get the heads too...make up a big batch of shrimp stock! 50c a pound
sounds a little high though....bet you could haggle him down a bit I used
to get gizzards and hearts for 19c a pound...then they got popular and now
they are over a buck a pound!

-> He's also the butcher.  I asked and it comes mostly cut and he just
-> resizes the beef and pork.  Most of it is already wrapped for sale, but
-> the special items in the front display case are cut down at the store.
-> Prime Rib looked really good and sorry but all I recall of the price was
-> a happy smile after Japan prices.
->
Ask him to save you some bones too! And ask him if you can get a better
price on the bigger cuts he gets in (and cut and freeze them yourself).
Here we will often save a good bit if we buy the "family pak" or full
cryovac'd cut.

-> Olive bar!  Not as nice as the one at woolworths in Townsville, but not
-> bad at all for here.  Equal to Harris Teeter but only 6.99lb.
->
-> Overall, a very happy experience with the people, prices, and proximity
-> to my home.  Big trips will be to Little Creek (about 15 mile round
-> trip) but smaller ones or runs for seafood, will be Krogers I think.
->
Hmmmm, still no mention of cheese (grin)

-> Oh and the chimney? Looks *wonderful* and the fellows did several extra
-> small things like replaced the missing front brick the idiot we bought
-> the house from had removed so he could put in a blower unit.  He just
-> grabbed and old brick, cut it, and mortored it in for free <g>.  I feel
-> very good with the service of 'A Sweep In Time'.
->            xxcarol
->
Good luck for you to find such a good company...keep em in mind for other
projects too...how's that back fence doing?
chat with you soon
ha
 * Origin: Doc's Place BBS Fido Since 1991 docsplace.tzo.com (1:123/140)