Skriven 2007-12-04 18:53:02 av Carol Shenkenberger (1:261/1466.0)
     Kommentar till en text av Michael Loo
Ärende: wine 502
================
 -=> Quoting Michael Loo to Carol Shenkenberger <=-

 CS> Yes, have had 'Brut' though I do not recall if I liked it or not.

 ML> Well, it's at the dry end, so my guess is "no" from what
 ML> you've said before.

If it's middlin' dry, it would be fine.  It's the super dry we arent partial to
after a few sips.

 CS> There's another one  popular in ads thats so sickly sweet you might as
 CS> well be drinking heavily  sugared vodka with 7UP in it.  I forget the
 CS> name but it turned me off on trying champagnes.

 ML> It probably wasn't real Champagne. I'm trying to think of
 ML> heavily advertised sparkling wines, and the only one I can come
 ML> up with right away is Martini & Rossi Asti Spumante, which is
 ML> not all that horribly sweet (sweeter than I like, though).

Actually, I think that was it.  Horridly sweet stuff.

 ML> If you want simple boxed, look up the labels Trove and Delicato,
 ML> as well as the usual Australian suspects such as Hardy's.

 CS> I dont recognize any of those names for the exchange types offered,
 CS> sorry.

 ML> You can always inquire of the management whether there's a chance
 ML> such labels might be stocked in the future, given that they taste
 ML> better and are no more expensive than the standard brands.

Exchanges dont really work that way stateside, though they can take suggestions
and send them up to the upper levels.

 ML> Boxed wines are economical, being the equivalent of 4 bottles
 ML> for under $20, the only problem being that when a box is open
 ML> at home we tend to drink twice as much.
 CS> Yes, and best thing for us, is they last along time as we don't drink
 CS> wine that often.

 ML> I maintain that they don't really last so long as they (the
 ML> manufacturers and the main users, such as Glen) claim. Even
 ML> though the amount of oxygen introduced in the dispensing is
 ML> pretty small, the effect is noticeable after a few weeks.

Grin, perhaps noticable to you, but the rest of us commoners don't notice that.

 CS> Italian cornmeal? Prithee tell more ;-)

 ML> It's cornmeal, grown in Italy. Not much more to say about it.
 ML> One makes polenta out of it, or some peculiar sandy grainy
 ML> cakes that I guess you have to have grown up with to like.

Ok, Lee told me same.  Doesnt sound like anything I want to make, but if
someone
offered me some, i would taste test it with curiousity.

Meantime i just got off the 12 hour shift series with last 2 being 5pm to 5am.
We turned in the loaner household stuff then went to the Little Creek commisary
(close one to us but havent been to Oceana yet).

Now as you've seen, I normally get away with 150$ or less and average about
200$
a month for the 3 of us, but that is when I have all the basics in stock and am
just replacing a few things.  Now that our chest freezer is here, we had to get
a baseload.  304$

Of the non-foods:
Found my Osteo-Biflex at significant savings.  120 pills for 19$
Centrum Silver (for us over 50 set)
Scott toilet tissue (costs more but you save in the end as it lasts longer)
Aluminum foil in regular and larger sizes
Wax paper
'Ladies products for me and Charlotte'
VO5 shampoo and conditioner
1 firelog (we chop them down and use about 1/12th per day to get the fire
going)

The rest was food.  I estimate this load would have cost 450$ or more out in
town.

Meats- fresh or frozen
3 lbs ground beef- 93% lean
4 lb pork roast
2 4lb beef pot roasts
2 1lb trout (whole, cleaned)
1 3lb bangus (dang, forgot english name, a fish)
18 chicken thighs, largish, didnt check the lbs
12 pork loin chops, thick cut, didnt check the lbs (estimate 8lbs?)
4 lbs frozen precleaned 'sardines' (for fish sticks japan style)
2 whole small chickens (3 and 4 lb respectively)
2 lbs smoked turkey breast
1 lb smoked sliced ham
1 largish ham steak (those individual cryovac packs)
1 lb ground turkey
2 lbs turkey sausage
1 lb kielbasa
5 lb 'summer sausage' (beef)
7 medium sized smoked ham hocks
(probably somestuff not listed)

Frozen other:
Icecream, dreyers 1gallon?
12 burritos, mixed type but at least 6 are chicken
1.5 lbs 'pizza rolls'

Fresh stuff:
spagetti squash
Acorn squash
3 HUGE green bell peppers (stuffing 2 of them probably)
3 lbs carrots
big head of cabbage
1 lb turnips
5 green apples
1 lb fresh large mushrooms
1 lb asian eggplant
1 head lettuce
1 leek
1 sweet onion (about 1 lb)
1 small celery bundle
5 lbs oranges
3 lbs assorted walnuts, pecans, and almonds all in shell

Breads:
5 lb bag wholewheat flour
1 loaf multigrain premade bread
3 small cans 'biscuits' pilsberry (we freeze them for use as needed)
2 boxes (4 rolls each) saltine type crackers
2 boxes wheat crackers
1 lb bag herb stuffing for the chickens if we want to bake one

Dry goods:
1 lb black eyed peas
16 ramen bowls, various from 1$ea to 25c

Canned goods:
12 cans various veggies
2 cans sardines
2 cans 'Don's comfort food' chow mein (1 beef, 1 chicken)
4 cans oyster stew
1 can cheese soup
4 various microwave 'lunch stuffs' for me at work (soups etc)

Dairy:
1 lb block velvetta (does that belong in dairy?)
wedge of brie
1 lb mozzerella
8 oz philly cream cheese

Junk that leapt in the cart:
10 pack of granola bars
1 lb bag lays chips
1 can pringles

Its meat high as we were stocking the freezer. Now, I got enough to do almost
anything except we are fish low as thats not the place for such.

Now, it's getting cold.  30's outside and the fireplace isnt yet keeping up
with
the heat as we got back late so it has no coal bed to radiate much yet.

Charlotte is in the tub and i have to get off the computer when she gets out,
but when she hits bedtime, I'll be back for the rest of my fun here<g>.
                  xxcarol

... She who dies with the most TAGLINES wins!
___ Blue Wave/386 v2.30 [NR]

--- Maximus/NT 3.01
 * Origin: Owl's Anchor (1:261/1466)