Skriven 2006-07-04 01:08:06 av BURTON FORD (1:123/140)
     Kommentar till en text av HAP NEWSOM
Ärende: Re: Coca-Cola Blak
==========================
-> -> -> checked in on our local meat place with the 'kosher' butcher and
got a
-> few
-> -> -> sliced bits of beef and some marrow bones.
-> -> ->
-> -> -> Our little shopping cart came back stuffed to the gills with all
sorts of
->
-> -> -> oddiments.  Some more 'odd' than 'normal' for the rest of you
perhaps,
-> but
-> -> -> suitable for us here.  It was about 75% fresh veggies and fruits,
-> -> hn> 10% 'other'
-> -> -> and 15% meat products.
-> -> ->
-> -> hn> Our break down is pretty much about the same.
-> ->
-> -> Should be the same for us all, but I grant USA folks eat way too much
-> meat and
-> -> I do too at times.  At home though, I am very simple and sane.  On
the
-> ship, I
-> -> have limited options.
-> ->
-> -> -> The marrow bones will be made up with some of the 'soup shrimp'
into a
-> -> hn> hearty
-> -> -> stock that will grace many meals.
-> ->
-> -> hn> Hearty stock meaning thick? or just full of different flavors?
How do
-> -> hn> it, by adding other things to it or by putting it over something
else?
-> ->
-> -> Both in this case.  The marrow bones will make it an almost
gelatinous
-> stock
-> -> (consomme?) and i'll use simple but deeply flavorful seasonings.
Thats
-> -> something i learned in Japan to do.  It's amazing how you can make
'spicy'
-> -> without any real spices.
-> ->
-> -> When Michael Loo and Jim Weller talk about fancy cooks, they both say
-> that the
-> -> basic stock is the key to any dish going from 'acceptable' to
'sublime'.  A
-> -> side effect of so many years of crockpot habits, is i know how to
make a
-> simple
-> ->
-> -> and inexpensive 'stock' that is so much better than anything you can
get
-> at a
-> -> store, there is no comparison.  You can see in my recipes, I imagine?
-> They
-> -> wont say 'a can of chicken stock' but instead, a cup or something
like that.
-> ->
-> -> Oh I cheat sometimes with bullion for beef or chicken, but normally
only
-> when I
-> ->
-> -> just got home and Don/Charlotte ate up all I had left them while I
was
-> gone.  I
-> ->
-> -> can definately tell the difference in the dish when I have to do
that.
-> ->
-> -> On making a good stock, for this type (marrow bones and shrimp), I
need
-> little
-> -> other than water, bones cut down to 1 inch thick, and the dried
shrimps
-> which
-> -> are already spiced.  I will add in whole (unchopped but washed)
kangkoon
-> as i
-> -> have that handy but spinach or possibly 'kale' would do as well.
About
-> what
-> -> would be 1 cup if dry and smushed down into a cup?  I leave it whole
as I
-> may
-> -> want to take it out after I decant the stock.  I normally store the
broth
-> with
-> -> it still in there then remove it on defrosting if it isnt wanted in
the next
->
-> -> dish.
-> ->
-> -> I store the stock in many containers of various sizes. I use masking
tape
-> -> labels so I can tell what is in each one.  The most useful size for
us is
-> about
-> ->
-> -> 3/4 cup in a ziplock baggie but I also use icecube trays when I make
up a
-> -> bigger batch as thats a really easy way to get just a small amount
for
-> -> flavoring a vegetable boiling water.  If you see all the recipes that
call
-> for
-> -> a tablespoon or so of stock, thats how you can most easily do that.
-> ->
-> Ok, I got it now, and yeah, I used to do a lot of that when we had the
-> freezer room to keep it and use it as we went! I seldom went out of my
way
-> for marrow bones however as it added much more fat than I was
comfortable
-> with...the way you use it, it is a good addition to many dishes! I am
surprised
->
-> however that you didn't mention onions in the stock or celery...both of
those
-> go into almost every stock I make regardless of the other ingredients.
->
-> -> What will I do with it?  Since this one is a marrow-bone stock, thick
-> looking
-> -> and meaty, I will use it in some hundred or more ways.  Often as a
fat
-> transfer
-> ->
-> -> flavor enhancer to a dish that otherwise would be 'vegetarian'.  In
-> southern
-> -> USA recipes that call for 'salt pork' I will be using this thick
'consomme'
-> and
-> ->
-> -> in recipes that just need 'beef broth' I will water it down, add a
touch of
-> -> MSG, and perhaps a little scraped beef bit such as you would get if
you
-> -> dehydrate some meat then pulverized it.
-> ->
-> -> As each stock is somewhat different, this one from the marrow bones
is
-> not
-> -> suitable for anything requiring a clear non-fatty broth.  It's also
not one
-> of
-> -> the ones you try to 'defat' but just accept as is.
-> ->
-> -> Now for chicken stock, my technique is rather different depending on
the
-> phase
-> -> of the moon and my own desires (g).  That will normally be defatted,
with
-> some
-> -> of the fat saved for other uses but mostly tossed out.  My cholestrol
-> control
-> -> habits have me generate far more chicken fat than is healthy for us
-> eat.
-> -> Granted the beef marrow broth isnt low on that, but we use it as a
special
-> item
-> ->
-> -> and a little goes a long way there.
-> ->
-> ->
-> -> hn>   It has to wait though for the baby-crock to
-> -> -> be empty.  The baby crock is now going with a batch of 'cooking
-> apples'
-> -> hn> (little
-> -> ->
-> -> -> tart bits of heaven, with honey and sugar for now, and later will
add
-> -> hn> nutmeg
-> -> -> and cinnimon).  The apples will need to cook down overnight to
-> be 'right'
-> -> hn> and
-> -> -> the resulting slurry will be a lumpy sort of apple filling for
eati
-> -> -> cream or rice.  I've enough to make a nice noshe for a decent
sized
-> flock
-> -> -> tomorrow and the word is quietly spreading already...
-> -> ->
-> -> -> You can hear the flock whispering.. Chicken soup and appled rice..
-> yumm,
-> -> hn> lets
-> -> -> go there tomorrow after the base tour with our parents..  You can
hear
-> -> hn> one of
-> -> -> them whispering back 'appled rice?  Gross!' and another giggling
an
-> -> -> 'more for the rest of us then'...
-> -> ->
-> -> hn> Sounds like something we used to make and yep, we added raisens
-> too! A
-> -> hn> sometimes even cranberries!
-> ->
-> -> That would be a good optional addition!
-> ->
-> -> Meantime, I just added more honey to it.  The slurry developed
perfectly
-> but
-> -> was slightly dryer than I like so a bit of honey and a 1/4 cup water
fixed
-> that
-> ->
-> -> up.  We are about to take off for the base festival (started
officially
-> already
-> ->
-> -> but lasts til 10pm).  Had to hit up a neighbor for some rice as hadnt
-> realized
-> -> we were out already.  Asked for a 'couple of cups' and got back about
10
-> cups
-> -> of calrose so we dont need to shop for that for another week.
-> ->
-> -> A little baggie of dried cherries, probably 1/4 cup, showed up as
well but
-> I'd
-> -> already added too much nutmeg to match that flavor.  Next batch
-> perhaps?
-> ->
-> -> -> Jack's boy Mike has the sweets for Charlotte so he's taking part
in the
-> -> hn> group
-> -> -> just to keep his hoodlum in bounds (grin, not to worry, Mike is a
-> sweetie
-> -> hn> and
-> -> -> Charlotte is silently quite happy to have an admirer).
-> -> ->
-> -> ->                                        xxcarol
-> -> hn> Oh my does THAT bring back memories!
-> ->
-> -> Me too!  Oh yes.  Mike's a sweety for sure.  The only fly in the
ointment
-> (isnt
-> ->
-> -> there always one?) is his Mom.  She's a bit prejudiced and Charlotte
is a
-> -> little too 'white' for her tastes.  Product of her times (black lady
with
-> blue
-> -> eyes and probably suffered a bit of teasing as a kid over it).  She's
-> otherwise
-> ->
-> -> cool people, just a bit disgruntled when it's her 'own kid' but she
shows
-> -> healthy signs of getting over it.
-> ->
-> Well that's good, growing up all over the world as I did on military
bases it
-> was hard to survive if you were prejudiced...there were simply too many
"mix
-> and match" families in the military and you had all sorts of
combinations of
-> kids in school with you....and it's unreasonable to expect kids to not
play
-> with
-> kids! When we came back to the US in the mid 60's, I had a hard time
-> understanding the civil rights movement....cause overseas it was a non
issue
-> for military kids, we all went to school together, dances together,
sports
-> together, trips together etc etc......totally integrated and very very
few
-> problems at all....when I got back to CONUS I was surprised that it
wasn't
-> that way everywhere...happily it WAS that way here in Washington and I
just
-> slipped back into American Culture.
->
-> -> Me?  I wish I had had a boyfriend with Mike's deep blue eyes! He's
also as
-> well
-> ->
-> -> behaved as any mom with a 12 yearold daughter could wish.  (hush,
-> Charlotte is
-> -> still primping!  Changed shirts 3 times already looking for just that
right
-> -> 'look' so she can safely ignore poor Mike while driving him batty at
the
-> same
-> -> time).
-> ->                                        xxcarol
-> ->
-> Poor kid don't know what he's in for (grin) Poor Don too! I remember
what it
-> was like to have all those rascals coming up to the door! Tell him to
get a
-> Samurai sword and practice sharpening it when they come around!
-> Chat with you soon!
-> hap
-> --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.0pr5a
->  * Origin: FidoTel & QWK on the Web! www.fidotel.com (1:275/311)

---
'Til we read again. Burt               /~~.
  x=Newark, in New York State     ,~x~    |
 * Origin: Try Our Web Based QWK: DOCSPLACE.ORG (1:123/140)