Skriven 2006-08-13 11:21:49 av Carol Shenkenberger (6:757/1)
   Kommentar till text 4148 av RUTH HANSCHKA (1:123/140)
Ärende: Re: Home Againi 879
===========================
*** Quoting RUTH HANSCHKA from a message to CAROL SHENKENBERGER ***

->
-> What we've done is add storage shelves all along the walls.
->
RH> I wish my garage was big enough for that.

It's nice to have all that extra!  We did it the simple way though.  Heavy
hinges and old cast off solid wood doors found at the local dump (generally
marred enough you couldnt really restore them but usable for this purpose).
You put the hinges so they flap down flat to the wall then measure off a bit
of 2x4 and with hinges attach those along the bottom 'underside' to make
'legs'.  The legs make it not lay totally flat to the wall, but it's not
enough to be a problem.  Sadly, realtor said the tenants had a small 'oops'
and had to take that shelf down.  They paid for fixing the wall where it was
attached and we arent upset.  We can make another one easy enough and they
were able to save the door <g>.  (They drove in at night and misjudged
distances which bent the hinges all out of shape and snapped a leg off.
Probably mussed up the car a bit too).

Anyways, even if it's not there now, it was when I left and a rather nice
little contraption.  Didnt take more than half an hour to make once we had the
parts.  A person with no experience at all but a powerdrill and a hand saw of
reasonable size to manage a 2x4 could do it in an hour I think?  It was a door
that was slightly warped (marble test, put a marble on it and see how it
rolls) but by eyeball looked almost perfect.

-> You just arent used to it.  If you lived here, you'd acclimate in time.

RH> No, definitely not.  Also, MS can mess with your ability to tolerate
RH> temperature extremes. I never had any heat tolerance to mess with.

Ah, hadnt thought of that angle.  Well, you'd not like Japan except in early
spring then.  Cherry Blossom time would work for you but not much after that.
Definately not the high summer we are in now!  It's 'drenched with sweat'
weather which doesnt bother any of us 'locals' because we are used to it
(Glenn would be as well) but not suitable I think for you.  Today is actually
a cool spell (88F) but we are most of the time near 100F and heat index 10F
higher would be my assessment.  SEasonal for here.  Holding at pretty much
what we call '3 bottle weather'.  That means for us that if Charlotte and I go
to Tonoo, we bring 6 bottles of water (normally 4 frozen solid) then if out
more than 1 hour (usually are, it takes 20 mins at least to walk there) buy
cold from the machines along the way reserving 2 for the last bit home.

Something folks who arent used to 'hot' tend to mess up on is staying properly
aquated.  Yes when properly aquated, you sweat more.  You will also feel much
cooler than a person who's not got enough water in their system.  It's not
'just evaporation cooling' going on.  The very tolerance gets better as well
as that additional cooling.  You see those sports adds where the fellow shakes
his head like a dog and sweat flys about?  Thats what you want.

RH> the 'teens'
-> though, has me running for my heating blanket and whimpering!

RH> That's when I put on gloves to drive.  It has to go below 40 before I
RH> a coat, some times.

Ohh!  Nasty cold!  Naw, actually we get rather cold here too.  Can be very
unfun walking or bicyling in to work.  Given a choice I'll take anything from
55F-90F and not be upset if the extremes dont range outside that.

RH> They used to tell people to shut computers down if the room air temp w
RH> over 80.

True.  Mainframes especially.  Inside the cabinets were alot hotter than
outside.

-> they can extend the shelf-life.  Probably normally 4$ where you are?
RH> You can

RH> Pork loin yes.  Tenderloin can be $6 or $7/pound.

I am not sure i know what the real difference is there?  Pork Loin is all I see
here on the labels.  Oh, and i think 'beef tenderloin' which is astronomical
so if 'tenderloin' is beef, I was talking the pork version.

-> I see things in the meat cases that are near 100$ and would feed 6
RH> servings.
-> It's a weird place where live crabs are less per lb than the better cuts
RH> of
-> beef.

RH> Sounds like my kind of place.

Works for me!  Definately!  I'm gonna really miss the cheap seafood variety
once I leave.  I never found but one decent seafood place in Norfolk (outside
of the grocery store stuff which was ok, but not what i am used to now).  I'm
sad the one that I recall shut down before I left.  He just wasnt on a main
drag location so couldnt quite get the volume clientel to beat the supermarket
places.

RH> You'll still have  commissary privileges here.

Yes, but not the same.  Sasebo Commisary was the award winner 2 years ago and
for good reason.  It beat all others of it's size world-wide.  Sure, newbies
here complain because it's not the size of the stateside 'superstores' but
after they've been here a bit, they start to realize what a gem they have and
if they get smart on local shopping, that they can manage quite well with a
little adaption in eating habits.

-> and been able to do this.  Learned even better ot get just staples
RH> though
-> because I had to carry it all back 3 miles.

RH> That's all I'd carry too - probably two boxes of cereal would be the l
RH> Then again, I probably couldn't walk the three miles even if I could l
RH> the pack.

Ah well.  In good weather, I just take my time.  Sometimes with Charlotte, we
take well ovr an hour just to meander to Tonoo Market.  The main part is at a
generally 'fastish walk for a 12YO, 30 mins' I think.  Then again, we walk
alot so that's probably faster than most would go. I never time it so not
really sure.  I'm also trying to translate mentally between KM and Miles so
guess it's about 1.5 miles (maybe a bit less).  The average guy who's not
terribly fit but reasonably so, would at a lazy jog, do 1.5 miles in 15 mins.
I guess i better revise our time upwards then or the distance is a bit less?
Close enough for a fast swag though.

The distance back from the Commisary now that we live in main base housing is
not far.  3/4 mile maybe?  JUst enough to find a car useful if it's a big load
and just a short enough walk it's fun to just trek over with backpacks and
carry carts.  Cab back if we overbuy is minimum charge here (540 yen).

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Meal-In-One Stir-Fry
 Categories: Main dish, Easy, Mushrooms, Chicken
      Yield: 6 Servings

      1 sm Onion; chopped
      2 tb Vegetable oil
     10 oz Canned chunk chicken
           -- drained and flaked
      4 oz Canned sliced mushrooms
           -- drained
  8 1/2 oz Canned green peas; drained
      3 c  Cooked rice
      2 oz Diced pimientos (optional)
      1 ts Ground black pepper

  Cook onion in large skillet until transparent. Add chicken, mushrooms,
  peas, rice, pimientos and pepper; stir well and heat thoroughly.

  Each serving provides: * 250 calories * 18 g. protein * 8 g. fat * 25
  g. carbohydrate * 1 g. dietary fiber * 42 mg. cholesterol * 119 mg.
  sodium

  Source: Stretching Your Budget With Rice Reprinted with permission
  from The USA Rice Council Electronic format courtesy of Karen Mintzias

MMMMM

The charm of this one above is it is fast, easy, inexpensive (even cheaper if
you dont use canned chicken but use leftover bits of chicken).

                                       xxcarol

--- Telegard v3.09.g2-sp4
 * Origin: SHENK'S EXPRESS, Sasebo Japan 81-6160-527330 (6:757/1)