Skriven 2008-10-14 14:22:08 av Michael Loo (1:18/200.0)
  Kommentar till text 14965 av Hap Newsom (1:124/311)
Ärende: Q &c 52
===============
 HN> For me brisket is "ok", I didn't grow up eating it like I
 HN> did with pork. Anne prefers brisket as well

Well, you have to admit she has good taste - she chose you,
after all.

 ...for me
 HN> it can only be BBQ if it's pork...even beef ribs don't
 HN> seem to hit that same spot of satisfaction that pork
 HN> does.

For ribs I prefer pork, but for slabs of meat, beef has
the edge.

 Didn't get to stop by either Manilla diner or
 HN> Unka Thurm's that day...sometimes life just gets
 HN> so busy.

Doesn't it. And you think to yourself "this is retirement?"

 -> Kid charged me 50 smackers for fixing two laptops. I gave
 -> him an extra 25 because it was his 16th birthday earlier
 -> in the week. I was going to give him more, but the ATM card
 -> didn't behave, and that was all the cash I had. The ATM
 -> card worked later in the day, though.
 HN> I'm sure he appreciated it...and will be willing
 HN> to go an extra mile for you in the future if need
 HN> be! That could prove to be a good investment!

So far as I know he did a good job. But -

 HN> BTW how's the new box holding up now?

I'm getting acclimated to it, and seldom is it doing anything
really weird, but I still don't trust it completely. Coupled
with the fact that when I did the backup of the croaking old
one and restored it to the new one, it appears that some
programs don't work right because the dlls in XP Pro SP2 are
different from the ones on the old XP Home (much nicer) box,
and of course the registries are different, and maybe some of
the hidden files can no longer be found.

By the way, one major issue is that user "M" (myself) remains
inaccessible on the new computer, so I had to hand transfer all
the files in "M's Documents" to "Administrator's Documents,"
- in the late '90s, I posted here that United Airlines had made
me a "Premier Executive," and that was the first time I'd been
an executive of any kind; well, now Microsoft has made me an
Administrator, and this is the first time I've ever been the
administrator of anything.

 -> Thing about greens is that I can make them myself,
 -> whereas smoking stuff and frying stuff are way beyond me.
 HN> I can do them all, but it takes time and
 HN> often that's the commodity that I have
 HN> the least to spare in a day!

Depends if you have to eat immediately upon rushing home.
For greens, I figure 3 minutes to wash, 2 minutes to prep,
during which the bacon can render if you're using that rather
than a ham bone, dumping everything in the kettle, bringing
it to the boil, and lowering the heat, 5 more minutes. Then
you let it sit on low for an hour or three, but you don't
have to do anything.

 HN> Now that's a flash from the past! Wonder
 HN> what  ever happened to Kathy? Would be
 HN> nice to let her know we are all still here and
 HN> miss her!

Last time I saw her, nine years ago, Teri Chesser and
Benita and I drove up from Houston and rousted her out
of her apartment. She seemed happy to see us but did
not seem to be in the best of health. Wish I could have
done more, but she was off in the wilds of nowhere and
didn't make any reaching-out efforts after that last
encounter. Pity. Nice girl, and cute too.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02

      Title: Kathy Pitts' New Mexico Chili
 Categories: Chili, Pork
      Yield: 1 batch

  I don't have a real recipe for New Mexico-style chile, although I do
  make it occasionally when I manage to drag home more fresh Anaheim or
  Poblano chiles than I can dispose of otherwise.  (Kroger's sometimes
  has BIG bags of them for 99 cents a bag ;-)

  What I do is first roast the chiles (either in the broiler or --
  better -- over charcoal).  The number of chiles I use depends on the
  size/heat of the chiles, and can range from 2-3 to 10 or more.  If
  the chiles are really hot (it happens sometimes, even with Anaheims),
  I'll also add 3-4 roasted green bell peppers to give the dish the
  required pepper taste without rendering it inedible by anyone without
  an asbestos esophagus.

  After the chiles have cooled a bit, I peel and seed them, and cut
  them into coarse dice.  I sometimes (not always) will also roast/peel
  5-6 tomatoes to place in the chiles, but tomatoes are optional in
  this dish, and I usually don't use 'em.

  Next, cut up 3-4 pounds of lean boneless pork (beef is sometimes
  used, but isn't as good in this dish, IMHO, and I would imagine lamb
  would be very good here indeed).

  Coat the meat in seasoned flour, and brown it in hot lard.  Remove
  from the pan and set aside.  Toss a couple of chopped onions into the
  pot, along with a clove or two of garlic.  When the onions are
  golden, I add enough flour to make a roux, and cook until the roux is
  light brown.

  I then add chicken broth to make a fairly thin gravy, the pork,
  chiles, tomatoes (if used), and season the dish with cumin and
  Mexican oregano.

  Simmer for a couple of hours, until the pork is tender and the
  flavors have blended.  The end dish should have a pronounced green
  chile/pepper flavor and be the consistancy of a thick stew.  It's
  very good by itself, or as a filling for burritos/soft tacos, and is
  wonderful reheated the next morning and served as a side dish with
  scrambled eggs for breakfast. Wes, for some bizarre reason, likes it
  over rice...

  Sorry for the inexact recipe/directions.  I learned to make this dish
  from an ex-neighbor who was or mixed Hispanic/Native American
  ancestry, and never QUITE got around to rendering her directions into
  a real recipe. (She served the dish with fry bread, and a pot of
  white beans on the side -- have no idea whether this was traditional
  or simply the way she liked it.)

  Kathy in Bryan, TX

MMMMM
___ Blue Wave/386 v2.30

--- Maximus/2 3.01
 * Origin: Get your COOKING fix here! - nsbbs.info (1:18/200)