Skriven 2008-10-19 18:28:00 av JIM WELLER (1:123/140)
     Kommentar till en text av MANNY ROTHSTEIN
Ärende: Future picnics
======================
-=> Quoting Manny Rothstein to Jim Weller <=-

 MR> I would like to see some, not all, future picnics devoted to
 MR> peak food experiences.

I agree. And some have been. I can think of crab and lobster fests,
a pig roast, and Chinese food at Otto's in the past. Peak food
experiences need not be expensive gourmet experiences. Future
endeavors might include a charter fishing trip with a shore lunch, a
pilgrimage to the Anchor Bar, exploring Chicago for the ultimate hot dog
or NYC for pizza and delis or a BBQ fest.

Having said that it would set me back about $2000 in airfare,
hotels and car rentals to attend one so I wouldn't object to say
another $200 for a blow out dinner rather than $50 for an ordinary
one.

 MR> a great BBQ crawl in a good BBQ state

Memphis in May!

 MR> Cities famous for great restaurants like Montreal

New Orleans, New York, Toronto, New York, Atlanta and New York.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: Ribs, Via The Far East Part 1
 Categories: Chinese, Pork, Ribs, Info
      Yield: 1 text file

           By Julia Moskin
           New York Times Staff Writer

  In New York, demand for great barbecue tends to outstrip supply. A
  few weekends ago, thousands of 'cue-seekers descended on Madison
  Square Park for the Second Annual Big Apple Barbecue Block Party,
  hoping for a shot at Mike Mills's Memphis baby backs and Ed
  Mitchell's North Carolina ribs.

  The lines were epic. Some waited it out. Many fled to nearby Blue
  Smoke, figuring that New York barbecue is better than no barbecue at
  all. And quite a few -- present company included -- hopped on the
  subway to Chinatown and sated the craving with a huge pile of
  Cantonese spareribs.

  New York does have its own thriving barbecue tradition, but it's
  more about star anise than smoke. At places like Big Wong King and
  Kim Tuong in Chinatown, pit masters turn out hundreds of racks of
  magnificently glazed ribs every day, with the moist meat,
  salty-sweet perfume and burnt edges so beloved of barbecue fanatics
  across the land. And at other Asian restaurants up and down the
  dining scale, from Nam and 66 to Big Wong and Pig Heaven, chefs have
  capitalized on New Yorkers' passion for Chinese spareribs by
  developing their own styles. With judicious spicing and steaming, a
  glaze here and a dry rub there, Asian ribs have evolved into a
  hybrid Asian-American-New Yorkese barbecue. They may not be
  authentic anything, but they might still hold their own at the Jack
  Daniels invitational.

  "I think the ribs here are as good as any I ever had in the
  South," said Jason Washington, a construction worker ordering
  takeout ribs at Kim Tuong on Chrystie Street last week.

  New York's first wave of Chinese restaurateurs came from Canton,
  where pigs are affectionately referred to as "long-nosed generals"
  and roasting pork is a respected art form. Cantonese cooking fell
  out of fashion in the 1970's, when New Yorkers discovered "real"
  Chinese regional cuisine, but the spareribs have endured. In
  Chinatown in Manhattan, as in market streets in China, almost every
  city block has at least one window full of irresistible barbecued
  pork, ready to eat on the spot or to take home to stir-fry with
  greens.

  The best ribs are often the ones that came out of the oven most
  recently, so popular places with a high turnover, like the always
  mobbed Deluxe Food Market on Elizabeth Street, are good bets. The
  Ollie's chain of Chinese restaurants, which goes through more than a
  thousand pounds of barbecued ribs a day, makes sure that they are
  fresh by doing two large-scale roastings each day at a commissary in
  Flushing. Each restaurant gets fresh ribs before lunch and dinner.

  The traditional method for making Chinese spareribs calls for
  marinating whole racks in rice wine, soy sauce and sugar (or another
  sweetener), then roasting them in a hot oven. The ribs are hung on
  hooks so that the heat can move evenly around the meat. The sugar in
  the marinade caramelizes during the roasting, creating a dark
  reddish-brown crust, shiny as fresh lacquer, that acts as a
  Pavlovian signal to barbecue lovers. (Red food coloring can also
  play a part, but good ribs should be more brown than red.)

  The ribs at Pig Heaven, a Chinese restaurant on the Upper East Side,
  have just the right balance between sweet and meat. At Big Wong, a
  sugar syrup is brushed on the ribs as they hang in the window, just
  waiting to be ordered, hacked into small pieces and devoured with a
  stack of napkins at the ready.

  The oven used in Chinese roasting looks very much like a modern
  American barbecue pit -- a metal box with heat at the bottom.
  But the heat source is gas, with none of the aromatic wood smoke
  that defines American barbecue. In fact, smoke is the enemy of
  Chinese roasting; to prevent it, and keep the meat moist, cooks keep
  a pan of water in the bottom of the oven.

  "The moisture makes the meat soft, so you don't have to cook it as
  long as American barbecue" said Romy Dorotan, the Filipino chef of
  Cendrillon, an Asian restaurant in SoHo. Mr. Dorotan's ribs are
  marinated in the Chinese style, then coated with an American-style
  dry rub and cooked in a man-size Chinese roasting oven in the
  restaurant's basement.

  His ribs differ from those in Chinatown because the spices in the
  rub -- ground star anise, fennel seeds, cardamom, mustard,
  coriander, black pepper and some Sichuan peppercorns (stockpiled
  before the ban against importing them began to be enforced a couple
  of years ago) -- toast slowly at low heat and create a smoky-sweet
  crust. The meat falls off the big bone into soft shreds, like
  American ribs; Chinese ribs tend to be chewier, better for gnawing.

  The same is true of ribs in Vietnam, where grilled baby backs are
  everyday family fare.

  From: Andrea Nguyen's Viet World Kitchen

MMMMM

Cheers

YK Jim

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20 [NR]
 * Origin: Doc's Place BBS Fido Since 1991 docsplace.tzo.com (1:123/140)