Skriven 2008-12-05 16:17:36 av Carol Shenkenberger (23789.cooks)
  Kommentar till text 17349 av Michael Loo (1:18/200.0)
Ärende: picnic stuff 316
========================

 >  > Yep, times is tough. And I've been in a dying profession for
 >  > close on 40 years. Doesn't really bother me, I've been doing
 >  > mostly what I want, without being tied down.
 >  CS> Not a bad life at all!
 >
 > But the bank account is not, shall we say, big. That's the
 > downside.

Same here.  I chose to remain military and the pay isnt too horrid at the
senior ranks of enlisted but nothing to crow over.  It's a matter of public
record how much we all make based on rank.  An E5 with 2 kids and a wife,
normally will qualify for foodstamp assistance.

 >  > I think that some of us are grateful that you're thinking "inexpensive"
 >  > (I don't mind, for sure, though my situation isn't so precarious as
 >  > some) - and also that, by the sound of it, you're thinking maybe this
 >  > year.
 >  CS> Yup on both counts but can not obligate til I have a job then can be
 >  CS> sure i can get Thursday-Sunday off.  I'll be new to the job and with
 >  CS> little accrued vacation time as of yet.
 >
 > 'k.
 >
 >  > Beer I know. I didn't realize that a Jackass samwich was actually food.
 >  > We've had horseshoe sandwiches before at echo picnics ...
 >  CS> It's huge, fatty, delicious, and wierd as hell.  Think thin cut roast
 >  CS> beast (pork and beef) with cheese, mayo, peppers, something from th
 >  CS> cabbage family, grilled like a grill cheese and so fat it's hard to
 >  CS> eat.  Definately messy to eat.
 >
 > I always thought a jackass sandwich was a metaphor, sort of like
 > the ugly stick.

Now ya know!  I'll have to get one again to remind me of exactly what's in it
but it's got all sorts of stuff in there.  Definately not health food but
wonderful for a change of pace!  Very suitable place for that first Thursday
where the early folks want a noshe.  Just have to be sure the pool league
isnt same night at their place (crowded then).  Pool league travels to
different places each Thursday.

BTW, there is an ugly stick.  Don has one.  Google is your
friend!  It's a brand of fishing rod.

 >  -=> Carol Shenkenberger said to Dale Shipp <=-

 >  > Actually, the nice thing about fidonet and echos is that the medium
 >  > lends itself to creating a level playing field for people from all walks
 >  > of life.  It is good to try to plan the picnics with that in mind.
 >  CS> Absolutely.  I think it's much more interesting to have our group be
 >  CS> mixed from all walks of life and such.
 >
 > For sure, and that means a location which people can reach
 > at reasonable cost.

Yes.  Air rates to Norfolk (with prior arrangement) are really cheap.

 >  >  CS> Ruth, Steve, and I face major job changes (mine may work out to more
 >  > When is it that you muster out / convert to civvy or whatever you are
 >  > going to call it?
 >  CS> Should be retirement ceremony right about 17 March.  Exact day not yet
 >  CS> set. Simpler ceremony as i have asked to not make a huge production.
 >
 > Congratulations, 3 months in advance.

Hehe thanks!

 >  >  CS> As I contemplate a picnic here, I am looking closely at how many may
 >  >  CS> want to stay here for free and how many I can put up.  In the right
 >  > Glad to hear your train of thought.  Do you have a time period in mind?
 >  CS> I wish I could obligate right now but until work is settled (apt not
 >  CS> to be til Feb or so) I cant arrange a set time when I can be off.  I am

 > I am not free the first week in May, but late April and later in May
 > should be okay. If not, as I said, I could conceivably host a picnic
 > in Massachusetts in June or July.

Late April or late May work for me!  Late May is actually pretty good.

 >  CS> The reason for the temps being critical is that my house isnt that
 >  CS> big, though I think of it as big.  The only really usable way to do it
 >  CS> here, is on the screened porch.  It's right off the kitchen and outside
 >  CS> is the smoker/grill.  Backyard *well lit* with 6 floodlights.
 >
 > Speaking of June, could people sleep in sleeping bags on the
 > screened porch?

Yes, but if it rains, the floor gets wet so I would suggest those 20$ air
matresses.  I think I have 2 queens right now (I know I have 1 with a battery
pump to fill it).

 >  CS> kitchenette?  Web shows some complaints about broken door locks etc,
 >  CS> but they are really old posts and I think the persons making them were
 >  CS> looking for 4-5 star at 50$ prices.
 >
 > Usually broken door locks refer to the secondary or tertiary security
 > locks. I seldom use them anyhow.

We saw no problems while we were there.  A few spots where the tiles were
cracked in the bathroom (clean but careworn place).  I just did a check
though and some really bad reviews.  One lady's main complaint seems to be no
hair dryer (it doesnt say they have one and they do not).  Another says no
outlets in the bathroom (true, but outlets along the vanity outside the
bathroom which we used for our cell phone).  Rates have gone up though to 84$
so i'll be checking other places too.

I will agree they dont really have non-smoking rooms.  Previous tenant may
have smoked in them.  They definately have blankets and such.

Funny is the fellow who says it hailed in June-July 2008 and he had a gap
under his door so could see it.  Excuse me?  It hasnt hailed in summer here.

Dont worry, before we get to that stage, I'll have the url up so folks can
decide along with recommended choices (and a list of who to aviod).

 >  CS> Most B-n-B places here are not well located to get to my place, being
 >  CS> 20 or more miles away.  I am still looking though.  Lots of local

 > You should discreetly let drop the name of this terrible place
 > so we can check out the Web site at least for laughs and to see
 > how someone can misadvertise.

Will do.  Have to find it again on the web.  They do mention the loft group
room, but not that they overbook the other rooms nor the biker-bar nextdoor
with all the shootings (which you can not see in the picture).

 >  CS> When the time comes, I'll scout the beach for the nice hotels and some
 >  CS> of the 4 star ones tht are closer in.  There's a very *nice* one along
 >  CS> Bonney road, about 7 miles from me for those who want close and upscale
 >  CS> at the same time.  I seem to recall it's off season price is not bad at
 >  CS> all.  We'd be hitting off-season prices too with my dates ;-)
 >
 > Ooh, nice for cheap; can't beat it.

Crowne Plaza looks mighty nice.  It's the nice one i mentioned just a bit
farther away from my place.  Rates highly variable based on date.
            xxcarol
--- SBBSecho 2.12-Win32
 * Origin: Shenks Express (1:275/100)