Skriven 2008-12-19 21:50:04 av hap newsom (1:124/311)
     Kommentar till en text av Ruth Haffly
Ärende: RE: down the hatch!
===========================
->
-> -> That's good.  I'm finding it takes me longer to get over dental work
-> -> than it used to.  The preliminary work (combined with a filling) for the
-> -> crown took about 2.5 hours, mostly with my mouth held open. My jaw
->  hn> ached
-> -> for several days after.
->
->  hn> For me it's just getting over the mental trauma of
->  hn> the event. No matter what I do or how I prepare,
->  hn> I still have to deal with the demons.
->
-> That is bad! I've never been traumatised by dental work.  It's not fun
-> but I get it done.
->
I get it done, and actually that's a big
improvement...for close to 10 years, I
would cross the street to avoid walking
past a dentist's office! Yes, it was that
bad!

-> ->  hn> One would hope that they would eventually
-> ->  hn> learn to fend for themselves and gain those
-> ->  hn> skills.
->
-> -> You can hope but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to get an answer.  I
-> -> suspect that one, maybe two will eventually learn how to cook fairly
-> -> well but the rest of the bunch will be mediocre at best.
->
->  hn> The problem with the lab's location is that
->  hn> there are very few other options, you either
->  hn> learn to prepare your own food (or eat on the
->  hn> meal plan that's available) or you go the TV
->
-> So do most of them do the meal plan?  It at least ensures you of a meal,
-> without the fuss and bother of cooking or cleaning up afterward.
->
The Meal service is not always available, and
during the winter times it's even less often. Mostly
it's part of a whole class that's at the labs for a
determined amount of time. The housing area where
Amanda lives has (1) the grad dorms which has 12 rooms,
BIG  kitchen and tv room, and two bathrooms (none in the
rooms) (1) visiting Proffessors and researchers dorm, where
visiting prof's stay, Big kitchen, each room has it's own
bathroom. (3) undergrad dorms, no kitchen, but each dorm
room has a bathroom. (2) duplexes for married folk (1) dining
hall with an attached "barracks" which holds up to 20 folks
in barracks style.  During the winter months there are
very few visiting researchers and undergrad classes
(summer is the "reasearch" season), so the dining hall
is not in regular use. (which is why the prof's and grad
student's dorms have kitchens.

->
->  hn> dinner route. The nearest real grocery store is
->  hn> in Sebastopol which is about a good 30-45 minute
->
-> That is hard; it's too bad there's nothing closer but............
->
Well there is something closer; Pelican Market
where everything is marked up, and marked up
again.  But they do have a deli spot where you
can order sandwiches (and they are good sandwiches)
but they are costy...even Amanda uses the Pelican
market just because taking time to drive all the
way to Sebastopol and back can take a goodly
chunk of your day...and when you're busy you
don't often think you can spare all that extra
time "doing nothing".

->  hn> drive. Most of the "kids" go with easy food,
->  hn> chips, breads and heat and serve sort of
->  hn> dishes.
->
-> And Deborah has admitted to "meals" of a bag of microwave popcorn ar
-> times.  Had a call from Rachel today; she's sending Deborah some
-> Christmas cookies as Deborah has no oven.  Sisterly love. (G)
->
Any way of getting a cookie is a good way!

-> -> I would think it would be, not having tasted your sauce but knowing the
-> -> years of experience behind the creation of it.
->
->  hn> Well, I'm older than you, but I'm not
->  hn> Italian (grin)...I've never had any
->  hn> complaints about my sauce.
->
-> I'm not Italian either, just married to a half Italian (on the maternal
-> side). But, I cook my sauce different from the way my MIL taught me. (G)
->
The secret I have found
is to be patient...fast sauce
isn't nearly as good as something
simmered all day!

-> -> -> give away except I taught her how to can them. A couple of days
later,
-> -> -> she taught a neighbor of hers how to can tomatoes (she'd gotten a
box
-> -> -> also). Both instances were such that freezing or making into sauce
was
-> -> -> not as good an option as canning.
->
-> ->  hn> We used to do a lot of canning, but
-> ->  hn> tomatoes were one thing I never liked
-> ->  hn> to can, not that I didn't like canned
-> ->  hn> tomatoes, but I knew some folks who
-> ->  hn> had a bunch of canned (in canning jars)
-> ->  hn> tomatoes explolde...and it turned out
-> ->  hn> they were loaded with botulism...and
-> ->  hn> just the thought of that gave me
-> ->  hn> enough pause so that I didn't want
-> ->  hn> to can tomatoes.
->
-> -> I've never had a jar of tomatoes or salsa go bad or fail to seal.  I've
-> -> heard plenty of nightmarish stories about exploding pressure cookers but
-> -> have yet to experience it.  I don't think my mom had any blow ups
-> -> either; I guess the occaisional one gets all the publicity & all the
-> -> successful ones don't get any.
->
We used to can a lot of our veggies
and never had a problem with getting
good seals and such...maybe because
I got so anal about making SURE everything
was clean, sanitary, and ready.

->  hn> Funny the things that stick in your mind
->  hn> and how strongly they can control
->  hn> what you do afterwards!
->
-> Yes; it's the same way with the dentist too. (G)  And I have a hard time
-> with Vicks Vap-O-Rub as my dad would tell us how his mom used goose
-> grease for the same purpose.  I can use Vicks, just have to get my mind
-> set right.
->
I actually like the smell of vicks...hate it on my
chest, but like the smell! (grin)
chat with you soon!
hap
--- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.0pr5a
 * Origin: FidoTel & QWK on the Web! www.fidotel.com (1:124/311)