Skriven 2009-03-11 20:36:44 av Janis Kracht (1:261/38)
  Kommentar till text 21783 av Carol Shenkenberger (28327.cooks)
Ärende: Dang, it aint italian!
==============================
Hi Carol,

>> > Cool!  It was in the end, extremely tastey.
>>
>> Thought it would be.. yellow squash makes tomato sauce taste extemely yummy
>> It's got a unique tasty flavor..it's so good :)

> I agree.  Folks who havent tried it, should just to see what happens!  I may
> have started as a way to 'stretch things' or 'use up all that summer yellow
> squash' but it stuck with me.

>> > Ok, I'm not nuts then.  I often add squash (yellow summer) to my 'tomato
>> > sauces'.
>>
>> hehe a natural you are then :)

> The problem is a natural what!  Grin, other than a few dishes (mostly
> southern) I dont cook anything 'authentic' to one quisine I think?

I like to do that ... it's fun for me.. I'll work my way through an ethnic
cookbook and have a blast sometimes :)  Sometimes I'll buy two or three
cookbooks by different authors because different people have different outlooks
on food, etc.. it can be interesting to see how they differ :)  I saw that
especially in some of the chinese cookbooks I bought.

I guess after I did that, you know, worked through the cookbook or whatever,
then I played with stuff like you are talking about as well.. we probably all
do it (g).

>> > A generic sauce for pasta and other things.  No special meat in mind for u
>> > with it and sometimes, no meat at all.  This is a base recipe and I dip ou
>> > what's needed and use it in other dishes.
>>
>> Great, I can see how you'd want to use it that way.  I keep pesto sauce and
>> plain marinara sauces in my 'fridge for the same reason.. the pesto adds som
>> 'zest' to just about everything, especially meat sauces (like with meatballs
>> and sausage).. and the marinara can be a base for a lot of sauces if I don't
>> have time to start one.. though normally I do start them from 'nothing' (g).
>> it's just handy sometimes if you need a cup of sauce for this or that.. you
>> know what I mean :)

> Looking (once Don wakes up from his nap, dont want to disturb him) to see
> what sort of chicken parts we have handy.  I will probably defrost some and
> toss them in a cassarole dish then cover with this sauce and add a touch of
> cholula hot sauce?  Add more black pepper as for the chicken it will like
> that and maybe a few sprigs of rosemary?  (The rosemary 'bush' Don planted in
> the wrong spot last spring survived the winter fine and needs another
> haircut).

Those are so neat :)  Mine died inside - it was a house plant kind of thing, I
think it was too cold near the window where it was sitting..

>> > I actually had eggplant in mind when making this sauce. I'm out but it wou
>> > make a wonderful dish either added to the sauce (which leads to my
>> > 'ratatoolie-like stuff) or as a sauce on top baked ones.
>>
>> Yeah.. can see it.. :)

> If I had some, that would be dinner!

>> ooh.. japanese sweet eggpant.. boy would I like to try that one.. :)  Haven'
>> had it in a few months now, so you're making the thought of that make my mou
>> water (grin).. I'll have to check out wegman's or the asian store this week

> Definately check your local asian place you took us to!  The prices were more
> than decent for quite a few things.  Lots of probably to you 'odd stuff' but
> they seemed capable of explaining some of them at least (even if they didnt
> know there's a huge difference in kelp and dried nori).

Oh not so odd :)  After a while of cooking some of through some of those
cookbooks I've got, I got pretty handy at recognizing a good number of things
at the asian store.  The one we took you to was new to me, we normlly go to
another one downtown :)  But they're both excellent.

>> Wonder if it would be too sweet though.. you'd know better than I would thou
>> Have you ever added that to tomato sauce? I never have done that.  Just curi
>> (g).

> Sure!  Lots of times!  No sweetness in that sort of eggplant.  No bitterness
> either so no need to peel.

Great, I'll try it..

>> > ;-) Thanks Sis!
>>
>> You have to play with food (smile)..

> I feel like playing now.  Wish Don's nap was over!

hehehe.. well soon enough I'd guess.. probably by now :)

>> Yep, Very close :) I'll have to look for it :) I do cook a number of middle
>> eastern dishes here.  I have a great middle eastern cookbook.. not sure if y
>> noticed it at the picnic.. it was that large (overly large (grin)) yellow
>> cookbook. Might have been laying sideways because it was so big compared to
>> others.

> I perused some but not many I saw there.  Just drifted by and wanted to steal
> a few of them but too polite as you can guess ;-)

Hehe.. you should have spoken up.. I gave Ruth one :)  I don't mind giving
books away.. I can always get more.

>> > Actually have to do that in a separate pan then add to the crock but I hav
>> > your meaning ;-)
>>
>> Ok, wasn't sure. it's been a while since I've used a crock pot.. one of thes
>> days I'll get another one.. running out of room on that that counter if you

> Hehe not to worry.  Momma crock had to go on your dryer as it was!  Hey,
> worked fine!

Yes, it did.. :)  Now we've got a ton of computers in there too haha.. and a
washer/dryer combo.. think that was there then though (the washer/dryer
thing).. takes forever to dry clothes but it's all in one machine (g).

>> imagine that :) :)  Ron laughed when I got the Vertisserie and plopped it on
>> the counter.. Hasn't left the counter yet haha.. made a chicken in there
>> tonight too.. With Priscilla being so ill this week (guess you caught all th
>> stuff going on here) it was so easy to spice up a bird and throw it in there

> No!  I'm behind yet again.  Glad she's better though.

Kinda.. long story short, she has this serious thing labs get where they can't
breathe because their larynx is paralyzed off and on.  She panics when it
hits.. (who wouldn't).. then she got hit with vertigo the same week which the
vet thinks could be a middle ear infection or a growth in her ear.  waiting to
end the antibiotics to see... Poor baby. The vertigo is better though so that
is good. rough week for everybody..

>> I'd bought a bottle of spice from Frontier Natural Spices, this one was Thai
>> spices.. so I threw a couple of quartered oranges in the cavity of the bird,
>> made a paste of the Thai spice, some honey, olive oil, paprika and garlic
>> powder .. rubbed that inside and all over that bird, and boy was that good :
>> :) Priscilla is feeling much better the last couple of days.. she sure was
>> eyeing that bird Lol

> Oh my!  I can feel sorry for Priscilla if she didnt get any.  I feel sorry
> for me as i didnt get any!

Aw, I will give her some this week in her special doggie mix I'm making for
her. She loves this stuff I started feeding her :)  Her own meatloaf with all
natural rolled oats, rice, hamburger or chicken and veggies from my garden
(grin).. trying to get her to lose weight!

>> > Grin, my family wants me to try again because the results are always uniqu
>> > and tastey.
>> > xxcarol
>>
>> That's great!  Can't go wrong there :)

> Ayup!  Hey Mom, could you experiment again please?

hahahaha :)  Bet you don't need much convincing :)

> As we get used again to more standard USA 'fodder' we are naturally
> adapting to it but we bring with us all the flavors of every place we have
> ever lived or experienced (some Don's).

That's so neat :)

> I may not be any 5 star chef material, but I'm definately an interesting
> cook!
> xxcarol

No doubt!

Take care,