Skriven 2008-02-12 00:12:12 av Dale Shipp (1:261/1466.0)
     Kommentar till en text av Ruth Haffly
Ärende: Re: Kitchens
====================
 -=> On 02-11-08  14:48,  Ruth Haffly <=-
 -=> spoke to Dale Shipp about Kitchens <=-

 > Dale & Gail renovated their kitchen in 2006
 > before hosting the gathering last year. It's a nice roomy area with
 > plenty of room for more than one cook and an area outside of the major

 DS>   :-}}  Don't let Ruth kid you into thinking that a renovation is
 DS>   necessary.   It is something we had been talking about for 5+ years,
 DS>   and finally started the process in the fall of 2004.   We had a

 RH> No, I was just commenting on the work you had done. Since Janis is in
 RH> the thoes of a renovation now, I thought I would mention yours. I'd
 RH> forgotten that you started it in 04.

  I know, but wanted to make sure she knew:-}}   We made first contact
  with our contractor in October or November 2004.  It was not until the
  next spring before he had made enough plans for us to sign, and work
  started in May 2005.   We went to the picnic that summer even though
  the work was not finished here, but was far enough along that no
  decisions needed to be made.   Finally finished about the beginning of
  September 2005.   It was quite an experience:-}}

 RH> It's the kind of kitchen we can only dream (at least for now) about
 RH> having. Your contractor had an excellent eye for the potential that
 RH> exsisted in the old kitchen area and then was able to carry out the
 RH> vision. It gave us some food for thought as to what we'd like to have
 RH> (some day) in a kitchen.

  We think they did a super job -- both in the design and the execution.
  A very nice group to work with, and we did not run into any of the
  horror stories you might hear about.  Our only regret is that we did
  not take the plunge several years before:-}}

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Norwegian Wrapping Bread (Lefse)
 Categories: Bread
      Yield: 32 Lefse

           -Norway

MMMMM----------------FLATBREADS & FLAVORS; ALFORD---------------------
      2 lb Potatoes; old or mealy,
           -peeled and coarsely chopped
    1/2 c  Butter; unsalted, soft
    1/2 c  Cream, heavy
  1 1/2 ts Salt
      2 c  Flour; approximate

  The day before you wish to serve lefse, prepare dough.  Place
  potatoes in large pot and add water to just cover.  Bring to boil and
  cook until soft.

  Drain and mash thoroughly; there must be no small lumps to interfere
  with rolling out breads.  Transfer potatoes to bowl.  Stir in butter,
  cream, and salt, and blend well.  Sift and stir in flour.  Work dough
  into ball; DO NOT KNEAD.  If dough feels very sticky, add a little
  more flour; potatoes vary in moisture content, so the amount of flour
  youneed to make a workable dough will vary.  Cover and refrigerate
  overnight, well-sealed in plastic wrap.

  Turn dough out onto well-floured surface.  Divide dough in half and
  set one piece aside, covered with plastic wrap.  You can also wrap it
  in plastic wrap and store in refrigerator for up to 5 days.  Divide
  dough into one piece per lefse.  Keeping hands and work surface
  lightly floured, flatten one piece of dough with palm of hand,
  turning it over once or twice as you do so.  Using a light touch and
  a rolling pin, roll dough out, rolling from center outward and
  rotating it 1/8-1/4 turn between each stroke, to a very thin round,
  8"-10" diameter.  Turn dough over occasionally and keep work surface
  and rolling pin very lightly floured to prevent sticking.  Slide
  bread to one side of work surface and repeat with next lefse.  At
  first you may wish to roll out eight breads and cook them before you
  start rolling out others.  As you develop a rhythm, you will be able
  to roll out breads while you cook.  Remember as you roll them out
  that even slightly-thicker-than-perfection lefse will still look and
  taste wonderful. Heat electric frying pan to 350 F, or heat lefse
  marker or large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.  When pan is
  hot, transfer a rolled-out bread to pan and cook 45-60 seconds, until
  lightly speckled with gold but not brown.

  Turn over and cook other side.  The butter in the dough will keep it
  from sticking.  Life bread out gently and transfer to plate. Continue
  cooking rolled-out breads, then roll out and cook remaining dough.
  If you plan on storing lefse in refrigerator, place a sheet of waxed
  paper between each, since they tend to stock to each other when
  cooled.  In our house they are devoured almost as they are made, so
  we dn't bother with the waxed paper. You can store them several days
  on a plate, well wrapped in plastic wrap, at room temperature, or for
  up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator; reheat in dry medium-hot skillet
  just before eating.  Serve with granulated sugar or honey or berry
  jam for breakfast, a late afternoon snack, or for dessert. Sprinkle
  each bread lightly with sugar, or brush lightly with honey or jam,
  and roll it up neatly before eating.  Lefse also made a great
  addition to a smorgasbord as a sweet course, accompanied by fresh
  berries and strong coffee.

  Authors' comments: Lefse are indeed a great treat, particularly
  associated with Christmas and other festive occasions.  Every region,
  every family, seems to have a preferred style.  Some are fine and
  supple, rich with butter and cream, and soft with cooked mashed
  potato; others are made only with potato, flour, and water.  We
  feasted on it the traditional way: spread with fresh sweet butter and
  lightly sprinkled with sugar, then rolled up.  Another traditional
  way of eating lefse: wrapped around slices of smoked meat and/or
  cheese, like a rolled-up sandwich.  Lefse are easier to roll out if
  the dough is made a day ahead and refrigerated overnight. They need
  an even heat, so an electric frying pan (or a lefse maker) is ideal,
  but a heavy well-seasoned cast-iron skillet will do.  The rolling pin
  commonly used for lefse has fine grooves in it to help prevent dough
  from sticking to pin as you roll.  We manage without a grooved pin,
  using instead a very small lightweight wooden pin and keeping it well
  floured. Though it is tempting to knead the dough, try to resist, for
  kneading produces a tougher lefse than tradition finds acceptable,
  though stll soft and of course somewhat easier to roll out.  We are
  told that many lefse makers now use instant mashed or flaked potatoes
  because of the need to have the potatoes absolutely smooth and
  lump-free.

  Nutritional information per serving:  xx calories, xx gm protein, xxx
  mg cholesterol, xx gm carbohydrate, xxx mg sodium, x gm fiber, xx gm
  fat (x gm sat, x gm mono, x gm poly), x mg iron, xx mg calcium, xx%
  of calories from fat.

  Tyops courtesy of Sylvia Steiger, SylviaRN (at) compuserve (dot) com
  (change characters as needed, this is to prevent bulk E-mailers from
  capturing my address).  For breadmachine tips and mixes, visit my
  homepage: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/SylviaRN

  From: Sylvia Steiger                  Date: 01-18-98
  Cooking

MMMMM

... Shipwrecked on Hesperus in Columbia, Maryland. 00:20:40, 12 Feb 2007
___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30

--- Maximus/NT 3.01
 * Origin: Owl's Anchor (1:261/1466)