Skriven 2009-05-20 21:40:00 av JIM WELLER (1:123/140)
     Kommentar till en text av GLEN JAMIESON
Ärende: proto humans
====================
-=> Quoting Glen Jamieson to Carol Shenkenberger <=-

 CS> 'proto-humans'. There is some debate on just when men came here

 GJ> Perhaps one of these days we will know all the whens and wheres of
 GJ> migrations around the world.  In the meantime, there is plenty to keep
 GJ> anthropologists busy speculating and investigating.

Did you read about the latest fossil find? A 47 million year old
lemur with opposable thumbs. The so-called missing link. Fascinating
stuff.

 GJ> the one who backed young Colon in his mad idea of finding a short cut
 GJ> to the East Indies, and look what that led to - you!

See tag for an opposing view.

MMMMM-----Meal-Master - formatted by MMCONV  2.10

     Title: Warm Shredded Lamb Salad With Mint And Pomegranate
Categories: British, lamb, Salads
  Servings: 8

      1    shoulder of lamb (approx 2.5
           kilograms)
      4    shallots halved but not
           peeled
      6    clove garlic left whole
      1    carrot peeled and halved
           malden salt
    500 ml boiling water
        sm handful freshly chopped
           mint
      1    pomegranate

Preheat the oven to 140C/ gas mark 1. (275F)

On the hob, brown the lamb, fat side down, in a large roasting tin.
Remove when nicely browned in the middle (you won't get much more
than this) and set aside while you fry the vegetables briefly. Just
tip them into the pan - you won't need to add any more fat - and
cook them, sprinkled with salt, gently for a couple of minutes. Pour
the water over and then replace the lamb, this time fat side up. Let
the liquid in the pan come to a bubble, then tent with foil and put
in the preheated oven.

Now just leave it there while you sleep. I find that if I put the
lamb in before I go to bed, it's perfect by lunchtime the next day.
But the point is, at this temperature, nothing's going to go wrong
with the lamb if you cook it for a little less or a little more.

If you want to cook the lamb the day you're going to eat it, heat
the oven to 170C/ gas mark 3 (325F) and give it 5 hours or so. The
point is to find a way of cooking that suits you: you know what sort
of pottering relaxes you and what makes you feel constrained; how
much time you've got, and how you want to use it. Don't let the
food, the kitchen or the imagined expectations of other people bully
you.

With that homily over, about an hour before you want to eat, remove
the lamb from the tin to a large plate or carving board; not that it
needs carving: the deal here is that it's unfashionably overcooked,
falling to tender shreds at the touch of a fork. This is the best
way to deal with shoulder of lamb: it's cheaper than leg, and the
flavour is deeper, better, truer, but even good carvers, which I
most definitely am not, can get unstuck trying to slice it.

I get on with the peppers while the lamb's sitting meekly, but you
could equally well have done this earlier, too (and see below for

instructions). But to finish the lamb salad, simply pull it to
pieces with a couple forks on a large plate. Sprinkle with more
Malden salt and some freshly chopped mint, then cut the pomegranate
in half and dot with the seeds from one of the halves. This is
easily done; there's a simple trick, which means you never have to
think of winkling out the jewelled pips with a safety pin ever
again. Simply hold the pomegranate half above the plate, take a
wooden spoon and start bashing the curved skin side with it. Nothing
will happen for a few seconds, but have faith. In a short while the
red glassy, juicy beads will start raining down.

Take the other half and squeeze the preposterously pink juices over
the warm shredded meat. Take to the table and serve.

What I do with the leftovers is warm a pitta bread in the microwave,
and then spread it with a greedy dollop of hummous, then take the
chill off the fridged lamb in the microwave too (and see notes on
cold fat, above) and stuff the already gooey pitta with it. Add
freshly chopped mint, black pepper and whatever else you like; raw,
finely chopped red onion goes dangerously well.

Recipe Notes

Nigella: "The virtue of this is that you can cook the lamb over
night, which means all you need to do is shred the meat, dress it
and make the salads at lunchtime itself. Or put it in the oven at a
slightly higher temperature, but still unfrenetically low, in the
morning and fiddle about as people arrive. You do need to serve the
lamb salad warm, rather than cold (a bit of fat provides flavoursome
lubrication at anything above room temperature; once cold we're
talking congealed waxy whiteness - not such an attractive
proposition) but if you keep the lamb tented with foil once it's out
of the oven - should you need to hold it for longer than an hour or
two - that shouldn't pose problems.

If it's not the pomegranate season you have a choice: either use
pomegranate molasses (a tablespoonful or so, diluted with an equal
amount of water) which you can get at some supermarkets now, or just
use lemon juice and maybe even a little very finely grated zest."

Recipe By: Nigella Lawson
Published in: Nigella Bites

  From: Terrypogue To: Foodwine

Cheers

YK Jim

... 1492 was the year sea pirates came to rob, cheat, and kill people.

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20 [NR]
 * Origin: Doc's Place BBS Fido Since 1991 docsplace.tzo.com (1:123/140)