Skriven 2008-02-21 00:43:06 av Janis Kracht (1:261/38)
   Kommentar till text 2828 av Ruth Haffly (1:396/45.28)
Ärende: food/travel
===================
Hi Ruth!

>> > No teens living with us now.

>> hehe.. none here either  :)  Worked when they were teens though :)

> You need to be flexible when kids hit the teen years.  Keeping a good
> sense of humor helps too.

Definitely (g)  And don't we find that it's true in most things :) :) I'll
never forget how Ron made me laugh when I was first was told that I had MS.. I
was 24 at the time.. with two little ones.. 2 and 4 mos.. I told Ron that I
thought I couldn't hear out of my right ear.. sometimes the symptoms of MS are
just plain weird (especially to me then (g)), and you don't know if it's
something you're really feeling or what.. especially with something like
hearing.. so I asked him to speak into both my ears separately so I could
tell.. He did, and in one ear he said, "I love you"... I said, 'Ok, I heard
that fine' (with joy).. then I turned my head and he mumbled into my other ear
MRRUMPF.. I rolled on the floor laughing :) :)

>> I love seafood restaurants.. you don't see too many of them around
>> here though.

> Other than chain places like Red Lobster, what do you have? I'm not
> counting the fish sandwiches at places like McDs either. (G)

There are a few I've found with google so Ron and I are going to check them
out. I'm glad I looked (g).  At least one of them sounds great.

>> > Steve skims, and occaisionally adds a note. He got wordy tho in this
>> > batch.(G)  BTW, we've separate accounts--makes things easier.

>> I can understand that :)

> Trouble is, we use the same computer for Fido.  I just get mine taken
> care of while he's at work or on his computer.

That works (g). We've always had separate computers since we both program, so I
think even if he were interested or had the time, he'd do it on his own system
and name :)

>>> He laughed pretty hard :)

>> > At least he appreciated it and wasn't offended.
>> Yep :)  He's always been a really good natured guy.

> And, I presume we'll meet him at the picnic, as well as your daughter
> and her family?

Not sure really..Possibly (g). Lauren may not want to come because of the food
problems and trying to get a toddler to understand that he can't have something
because it will make him sick (g)... My son will be here, but his girlfriend is
extremely shy.. I'm sure he'll be around though :)  He's actually very social
compared to Ilana.  She's a really neat girl though and very intelligent.  Both
her parents are doctors and I always thought that was interesting. Anyway, it
will be great if all of them decide to come.  Perhaps they will if they are
hungry (g).

>> eat both, > before going to bed not long after.  She was on her JROTC
>> drill team
>> > besides working and going to school--and working up an appetite.

>> Sounds like Lauren.. she also was in ROTC and had _quite_ an appetite.
>> :) well deserved, as well :)

> I think they burn it off in class; I know her class had manditory PT at
> least once a week. Drill practice was several days a week for a couple
> of hours after school--really intense work out.  But, because of it,
> Deborah corrected one of her Drill Instructors when she went to Basic
> Training.  He incorrectly counted a cadence sequence wrong; she showed
> him how to do it properly.

hehe.. that's neat.. Sadly, Lauren's experience didn't end up so well as far as
military 'service' and the national guard went because of her allergies.  She
was accepted at Texas A&M, hoping to go from there to West Point.  She got to
Texas A&M, but was constantly hit with _severe_ migraines from her allergies to
everything served to eat. As a matter of fact, before that, the military
insisted she have extensive testing to determine her allergies because her
doctor at first didn't want to say that he thought she could deal with the food
problem.. Somehow she was able to convince them that she'd be ok (I really
don't remember, but I think it might have been my Dad's record, and his navy
buddies that helped), and was admitted to Texas A&M.. it didn't last more than
a year, though sadly enough, and she still feels bad about that I'm sure. But
what can you do.

>> Oh, sound good :)  I've got the attachment for the KA to fill the
>> casings, haven't used it in a real long time though.. should be a
>> "like new" experience (g).

> We got a tube to go on the kitchen center but never used it. Hmmmm,
> thinking about making chicken sausage................

Hehe.. that's the same thing I was thinking, besides knowing how easy it now to
get grass-fed pork :)

>> > that are marked as off limits or put out of the way before the
>> packers > come.  Be glad you had a short move vs an overseas one. (G)

>> No kidding :)  NY to KY was far enough for me then (g).

> I know, we get to move every few years. It was easier gettting resettled
> in a place when the girls were still home; they could "run" loads of
> books or whatever to the proper areas.  If we didn't move, then we
> wouldn't have the neat experiences we've had tho.

Oh we understand that, believe me (g).

>> > Last time
>> > we moved, I put big masking tape Xs over areas I didn't want them to
>> > pack. I think the kitchen had most of them.

>> Yeah, that is a really good idea.. "Stay out" signs would have helped

> The tape was just as effective.  When we moved into here, I put signs on
> the rooms upstairs to designate where boxes were to go. I still had to
> dig up my cook books but I knew what room they were in.

Don't remind me about cookbooks (laugh)... boy I wonder who got those darn
books (g).  It wasn't me :) :)

>> > It does add to your perspective of the world. Plus, as you know from
>> > your move to KY, you get to try new foods--just from a different
>> part of > the USA.

>> Yes, I won't soon forget that :)  We used to travel to Tennessee too..
>> very beautiful place :)

> We've been thru parts of it too; yes it is pretty.  Saw a program the
> other night on Jack Daniels-- a lot (!) of work goes into making it.

The mountains in Tenn. are incredible.. absolutely incredible. I missed that
show, but perhaps it will be on again :) We watch a lot of the educational tv
channels.. especially about the universe. :)

Take care,
Janis

> ... If you think you are confused now, wait until I explain it!

--- BBBS/LiI v4.01 Flag
 * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)