Skriven 2009-09-27 12:33:22 av hap newsom (1:124/311)
     Kommentar till en text av Ruth Haffly
Ärende: RE: Autumnal
====================
Hi Rth!

-> ->  hn> So is that the plan? International Missions for
->
-> -> Probably not; we'd thought it would be so at one point.  But, changes in
-> -> my health mean that we'll most likely work stateside.  We'd like for it
-> -> to be out west but don't know yet if that will be a possibility.
->
->  hn> The reasonable approach. Don't you get to choose
->  hn> where you go?
->
-> To a certain extent, yes.  We (Steve) submits his resume to church
-> pastoral search committees.  If any are interested, they contact him and
-> get more information.  After that is sent and looked over, if the church
-> is still interested, negotiations start, and a visit by us, usually over
-> a week end. During the day on Saturday, we meet with various committees
-> (the search committee, personnel, deacons, etc) and there's usually a
-> supper that night for all members to meet us/ask questions.  Then Steve
-> would preach Sunday morning; usually a vote to call/or not is taken
-> after service.  We would be notified of the results and decide if we
-> wanted to accept (or not) if the vote was to call us.  If we did accept,
-> then final details would be settled as to when we could start, looking
-> for housing and so on.  As members of various churches, we've been thru
-> the proccess a number of times. A couple of churches in AZ wanted Steve
-> to come as pastor when we were stationed out there but at the time, he
-> had to decline because of his military committment.
->
So you do the job hunting on your own
then? That is good as you can choose
the areas you want to live and avoid
those where you'd not be comfortable! How
do you find the "search committees"?
Does the seminary have a listing ?

-> ->  hn> Indeed, We try to keep to that...but sometimes
-> ->  hn> we fall off that wagon and right now we're trying
-> ->  hn> to clamber back aboard (grin).
->
-> -> We've had a fair amount more beef and pork than we used to since
moving
-> -> up here.  Steve is starting to have some cholesterol problems so we'll
-> -> be eating more poultry.  Better for me too. (G)
->
->  hn> Had pork stir fry tonight YUM!
->
-> Sounds good.  We had smoked mozzarella with artichoke & garlic chicken
-> sausages and fried potatoes (actually, one), a bit of pepper, onion &
-> garlic with whole wheat bread on the side last night.  YUM!
->
Last night we went off the wagon
big time...Took Anne's teaching and
car pool partner out for a good bye
dinner. Went to Porter's (BBQ) and
had hushpuppies, fried Okra, Potato
Salad, Beans and rice, cornbread
(southern style) Anne had beef
brisket and so did Terry, I had
pork ribs...and Da Man sauce...
Oh lordy was I full! (grin)
->
->  hn> Chicken stew later in the week.
->
-> I'll probably do a lamb stew next week.
->
->  hn> Tomorrow will most likely be salad
->  hn> with baked  chicken sliced on top.
->  hn> white meat for Anne thighs for me.
->
-> I'd side with Anne on the choice of chicken parts. (G)
->
Thighs have more flavor!

-> ->  hn> Pretty late in the season for the first tomato isn't
-> ->  hn> it?
->
-> -> We got the hanging planter right after we got back from our trip, about
-> -> July 4.  The next week we got the soil and tomato plants so it was mid
-> -> July-ish before we put it up.  So, no, not really, considering when they
-> -> were started.  We've got about 14 tomatoes in various stages of
-> -> development now.
->
->  hn> I'm sure you'll get an earlier start
->  hn> next year! growing any peppers?
->
-> For sure!  We've picked 3 tomatoes, a 4th is getting close to picking
-> stage and I see at least a dozen more in various stages of development.
-> The weather has moderated enough that the plants are really putting out
-> now. We may do the peppers in containers.  Our basil and oregano have
-> been putting out big time, even the pot of parsley we thought wasn't
-> going to do anything has a number of shoots.
->
Still a lot of gardening weather in NC...
You'll be good until later in Oct I'll bet!

-> -> -> roasted garlic for garlic butter, etc on hand.  I may do a few more
-> -> -> heads the next time I need to use the oven.
->
-> ->  hn> Good thinking, I should do that as well...
->
-> -> Easy enough to do.  Makes the house smell nice and garlicy. (G)
->
->  hn> I like the smell of roasted garlic. I get to smell
->  hn> enough garlic at the ballpark as the garlic fries
->  hn> are very popular (and they have a LOT of garlic
->  hn> on them!)
->
-> UH had them too, haven't found a place here that does them.  Maybe I'll
-> do some baked fries with garlic.
->
I like em at the ball park..and only get them
once or twice a year when I go as a "fan".
Don't wanna eat them when I'm greeting
guests!!

->  hn> We only have six home games left so the season
->  hn> is getting shorter and shorter!
->
-> Sigh!  And the favorite teams are well out of the play offs.
->
We've actually done better than we
were expected to....but not as good as
we wanted to! Our best hope now is to
supplant the Texas Rangers as second
in our division. And even that is not going
to be an easy task.
chat with you soon!
hap
--- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.0pr5a
 * Origin: FidoTel & QWK on the Web! www.fidotel.com (1:124/311)