Skriven 2008-03-03 14:24:00 av BOB GEARHART (1:123/140)
     Kommentar till en text av CAROL SHENKENBERGER
Ärende: RE: Christmas goodies 689
=================================
 Carol Shenkenberger said to Bob Gearhart at 03-02-08  13:06
 Subject: RE: Christmas goodies 689<Carol Shenkenberger>

 >  the dough depending upon the humidity and temperature, so each loaf of
 >  bread is a special creation, sort of a masterwork by an artist.  <LOL>

 CS> I'm fairly decent at it, I think.  Breadmaker only though.  I have
 CS> lots of variations in recipes but tend to make mostly white or rye
 CS> variations.  Our friend Elise in Sasebo got us into Rye breads and
 CS> though I can't make them as well, mine are 'acceptable'.

 Did you add a bit of sorghum molasses to the rye?

 CS> Well can't recall if I followed up on this but the Sally Lund recipe
 CS> did *not* work.  I got hard little bread pebbles and no rise.  I
 CS> suspect it isnt a bread that does well in a breadmaker.  Needed water
 CS> added I think too which hand kneading would have shown.

 Sounds like it didn't rise at all.

 Bread basics are basic.  Dissolve a packet of yeast in a cup of warm
 water. (about 115 degrees.)  In a mixer bowl combine two cups of bread
 flour, a tablespoon of salt, three tablespoons of sugar.  Mix in a cup
 and a half of warm milk and the water with the yeast.  Mix very well
 until smooth and silky.  Add four until you get a paste.  Dump the
 paste out on a heavy well floured tabletop.  Kneed working more flour
 into the dough until it's pliable and smooth.  (About five or six more
 cups for a total bread flour of about seven to eight cups )  If the
 weather is humid, the dough will still be sticky, but don't add more
 flour.  If it's a nice cool dry day about 7 cups total will be about
 right.   Kneed and work the dough until it is smooth and has the
 texture and feel of a baby's butt.

 Grease a large bowl with crisco, drop the dough in the bowl and turn
 to grease the top.  Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled
 in a warm draft free place.  I use my oven with the oven light on for
 warmth.  Punch down and put in bread pans or roll out into a rectangle.
 Rollup the rectangle, pinch the ends to seal and place it on a baking
 sheet covered with cornmeal.  Make a slight cut along the top of the
 loaf and allow to rise again.   Bake at 400 degrees for about 30
 minutes or until browned.

 To make French bread, leave out the milk and sugar and use two cups
 of water.

 To make rich rolls add an extra couple tablespoons of sugar, and an
 egg in your first mix.   After rolling out the rectangle, sprinkle with
 cinnamon and sugar before rolling it up.  Slice the rolled up dough
 into 3/4 inch thick pieces, Let them rise on the baking sheet.  Bake
 for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.  Glaze with a powdered sugar glaze
 afterwards.

 Or you can cut the rich rolls into pieces and depending on how you form
 them, make anything from parker house rolls to croissants.

 Good bread is the staff of life.

 CS> Humm, I agree mostly there.  I've tried herbs and such but they just
 CS> dont really cut it.  Now, fat fried ones dont need salt <g>.  Aint
 CS> saying thats a good health swap though!

 Janes Krazy Mixed up salt is good for tasting, I don't think it's so
 hot for salt free though.

 >  I'm pretty leery now.  There is a Manilla Mart up on the corner and
 >  they have most of the Asian foods available, but after reading about
 >  Chinese farming practices and what is ending up in our foods, I'm not
 >  buying there now.

 CS> We skipped the Mae Ploy too.  Partly that (though not massively so)
 CS> but also it was so thick looking, I was sure it was fillered with sugar
 CS> to do that.  It was slightly lower in sodium, but not enough to make a
 CS> swap from the tried and true brand we like (Flying Horse).

 I've never tried the dish.   I'm not really a good judge of Asian foods
 to be honest.   I sometimes make things in a hot pan with short cooking
 times, but it's far from what the Chinese buffets have available.

 My best tasting foods come from memory when Mama-San would come into
 the room with a bucket of hot coals for the hibachi in February.  Keiko
 would stick her head out from under the quilt and tell her of my
 preference for chicken fried rice at breakfast time.  After the room
 warmed, we would sit by the hibachi and eat chicken fried rice.  I
 really hated to see that week end and have to go back to Korea.

 Bob

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12
 * Origin: Doc's Place BBS Fido Since 1991 docsplace.tzo.com (1:123/140)