Skriven 2010-05-04 19:56:01 av Ruth Haffly (1:396/45.28)
  Kommentar till text 37321 av Janis Kracht (1:261/38)
Ärende: stuff 056                                                [1]
Hi Janis,

>> I've been able to find organic whole wheat Italian bread crumbs here
>> at Wegmans.. it's a bit easier than making my own, but I do that often

 JK> > We don't have Wegmans this far south.

 JK> Understand..:)

But I do enjoy going thru the one in Brockport when we're in western NY
visiting Steve's family. I try to be reasonable with the amount of stuff
I buy there. (G)

 JK> >  Fresh Market is a NC based chain
 JK> > that we encountered for the first time in GA. Some people would call
 JK> > them a "yuppie" type store; they aren't totally organic/natural but
 JK> in GA > or now at Whole Foods Market, I'll get them at TFM & know I'm
 JK> getting > quality.  I've not noticed ww bread crumbs but it's a non
 JK> issue for me.

 JK> Sure.. especially if you already have a loaf made.

Which is most all the time.  With the KA I do 2 at a time so I'm making
it about every other week.

 JK> > I do need to get more parsley, which I will on Monday.  Steve also

 JK> We went to a farmer's market on Saturday morning - really neat.  Our
 JK> favorite grass-fed beast farmer was there so I got some steaks,
 JK> roasts, and from another vendor, a rosemary plant and a thyme plant -
 JK> was glad to see that :) I'll move the plants into my garden soon.  I
 JK> see in my garden bed that the mint came up all by itself this spring -
 JK> also very neat :)

Sounds good to me.  We're going to try to get over to the local farmer's
market this week--just too much going on the past few Saturdays.  Much
as I'd like to get some herbs going, I can't justify doing it with as
much as we plan to be gone this summer.  Maybe I'll settle for some
indoor parsley after we get back.  Beats none.  Our "wild" spearmint is
spreading in the one patch in back.  That patch also has some
strawberries that somebody planted at some time; they are smaller than
the ones for sale in stores but larger than wild strawberries.  Steve
picked some the other day--they have no taste at all!

>> last year still.. though it's time to move my seedlings into the
>> garden :)

 JK> > It's warm enough?  We had a couple of cool days this week, got down
 JK> to > 38 Wed. night.  The record low was 35 so we were close.

 JK> Sure it can, I really didn't have to even move the parsley inside, it
 JK> can take the winters and come back in the spring (depends on if you
 JK> buy annual seeds or not).  I dug it up so I could have fresh parsley
 JK> inside all winter.. worked well... but now since I did dig it up, I
 JK> have to plant more :)

OK, we're supposed to go into the low 40s early next week (lows, highs
will be in the low 70s).  I like it better than the upper 80s and humid
we've had too much of, too early.  We'll have lots more of that in the
next few months.

 JK> tomorrow > to stock up so I'll try to remember to look.  BTW, I don't
 JK> know why but > we didn't get Fido for 3 days; it's back to normal now

 JK> Hmm.. not sure either.   I upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04 but the mailer was
 JK> running thoughout the update.  Could be there was just a problem with
 JK> mailer 'things'. Sometimes if a node tries to poll me, and the binkp
 JK> line is busy, that caller will mark the system their calling as "busy"
 JK> and stop trying until the operator clears the 'bad calls'.  It could
 JK> have been something like that.

I've no idea.  I usually fetch in the morning so from Tuesday morning to
Thursday night, we had nothing. I checked late Thursday night and it was
working.  I started working on it while listening to the chapel choir
warm up--balanced the computer on a hymn book on my lap so probably made
more than the usual typos.

>> I've been at some relatives houses who didn't know to buy fresh :)
>> Happens sometimes. Ron's mother was big on those as well.  I think she
>> was very surprised the first time she had freshly grated Italian

 JK> > Even Steve's mom uses them quite often.

 JK> They are no doubt less expensive that fresh cheese.. for Mother's day,
 JK> I'm including a wedge of imported parmesian, and a wedge of imported
 JK> peccorino with my mother's day presents for my mom.. when she was

Including some sort of grater too?  I could, but don't, eat it by the
chunk tho. (G)

 JK> here, she couldn't get enough of it, since my silly sister also uses
 JK> only kraft cheese in cans.. eek. But my sister is not much of a cook,
 JK> so it makes sense.

Same with both of my sisters. One cooks very much like my mom.  The
other doesn't do much during the week type cooking but likes to do a big
show on holidays.  Back in the mid 90s we were visiting one year for
Christmas--she was bragging/complaining, not sure which, about how much
she'd paid for the piece of fancy beef.  It was more than our meat
budget for a month!  I don't think she would spend the money on good
parm or romano cheese on a routine basis; she might for some sort of
fancy occaision tho.

 JK> > generations removed from Italy she is.  She used to have fresh
 JK> grated > (don't know if it was anything "fancy", probably not) cheese

 JK> The imported stuff can get expensive.. over $7.00 lb..I forget what
 JK> it's going for now.. but we don't have to buy it that often and the
 JK> taste is so much better than canned, that I couldn't force myself to
 JK> buy canned (g).  My grandmother and grandfather on both sides came
 JK> from Italy in the 1900's, so Mom and Dad were second generation.

I know; it's expensive but the fact that not as much is needed for
better flavor is a big help.  I'm trying to do my good cheese buying
either at Fresh Market or Whole Foods; sometimes I'll pick up a new one
to try out when I'm at WF.

 JK> > I don't use wine at all in my cooking so that's a good thing to
 JK> > remember.

 JK> Works well in most recipes calling red wine - and is very handy to
 JK> have around :)

And we do keep it around!

>> ===Italian green beans===

 JK> > Now that looks really good! Beans are just coming into season here
 JK> so > I'll try it, but on a reduced amount for the 2 of us.

 JK> Try it with one pound of green beans if there it doesn't look like
 JK> there's enough dressing.. or must make more dressing (g).  And yes, I
 JK> always make a smaller amount for just the two of us.. but the basic
 JK> idea is the same.  Oil and vinegar, and garlic.. (g) I love it.  Even
 JK> garlic powder works if you don't have any cloves handy.

I've got both on hand--the powder is actually granuales, from Whole
Foods.  I double bag it when I buy it as it's such an intense aroma.

>> Is there a big cost difference at the commissary?  I seem to remember
>> that to be the case years ago when I'd go to one with my cousin.

 JK> > On some things there can be.  Meats can be, especially, if you shop
 JK> > astutely.  Same with canned goods.  Then, too, I've always
 JK> subscribed to > a local newspaper so I'd get the food ads weekly.
 JK> Commissary prices
 JK> > can't beat loss leaders stores run, especially around holidays.  I
 JK> > usually look for turkeys @ 10 cents/lb around Thanksgiving at stores
 JK> "on

>> CONTINUED IN NEXT MESSAGE <<

---
Catch you later,
Ruth
rchaffly{at}earthlink{dot}net  FIDO 1:396/45.28

... The buck doesn't even slow down here!

--- PPoint 3.01
 * Origin: Sew! That's My Point (1:396/45.28)