Skriven 2010-06-07 21:38:02 av Ruth Haffly (1:396/45.28)
  Kommentar till text 38602 av hap newsom (1:124/311)
Ärende: menus
=============
Hi Hap,

How did the bone scan go today?

->  hn> ???, Pop had nothing to do with canning
->  hn> or jellymaking. Mom did all of that on her

-> OK, I got the impression (wrongly so) that your dad took leave every
-> fall and went to SC so your mom could put up her jellies.

 hn> Oh gosh no! Most of the time Pop was on
 hn> "flying status" and was off somewhere
 hn> else entirely! We moved every couple of years
 hn> so "canning time" was different everywhere
 hn> we went. Some years it was applesauce and
 hn> apple or pear butters, some years apple jelly,
 hn> some years canned tomatoes. Almost always

OK, that clears things up.  We stayed in one place so my mom's canning
was basically the same old wax beans, beets, carrots & tomatoes year
after year. She got a freezer 2 years before I got married so was still
in a learning curve with it when I left home. Home made jelly went by
the wayside when she started summer school the year before I started
high school.

 hn> it meant pickles. Mom would either grow them
 hn> or find a local spot where we could go to pick
 hn> what she wanted.

I never was too successful with them.

-> Typical male, unless he's really into cooking, most guys have no clue as
-> to if the stove is gas or electric.

 hn> Yep, that would be Pop!

My dad knew because he built the house & converted Mom's kitchen from a
gas stove in their rental to electric in the new house.  She wasn't
thrilled at first with it but is happier with electric than she would be
with gas.  Also, I think the electric is a little bit safer for her at
this stage of her life.

->  hn> Stores? we climbed the vines and picked
->  hn> the things ourselves...wild muscadines!

-> You lived in more of a rural area of SC than I did (and do) in NC.  When
-> I was a kid, I lived in a rural area with lots of black berries, rasp
-> berries and black caps for the picking.  Some strawberries but not as
-> plentiful and my dad's attempts to grow grapes were less than
-> impressive.

 hn> Most of the south is rural, even the cities are not far
 hn> from the agricultural foundation that built the South.
 hn> I'll wager that in less than a half an hour of driving time
 hn> you could be surrounded by nothing but fields of growing
 hn> things...cotton, tobacco, corn, peanuts, beans etc.

Very much so.  Maybe 10, 15 minutes outside of Wake Forest, also the
same when we lived in Swansboro on the coast.  Our last place there,
there was a good sized soybean field beside our house. Lots of tobacco
fields then, not hardly any now.

 hn> Harder to find, but probably available are the farmer's
 hn> roadside stands where melons, maters', gourds, jams
 hn> jellies, and honey are sold.

Replaced mostly by farmer's markets, as they were once before.  We might
check out some of the others in the area over the summer.

-> Your choice.  I do like having the bigger freezer for what I use it for.
-> Looks like next semester Steve will have a Tuesday night class (all
-> semester), I'll have a week end intenive in September and and a 7 week,
-> Thursday night class beginning in October.  Not quite the clatter bang
-> eat, clean up & get out the door on Thursday nights we had this past
-> semester but I'll still rely on the freezer if I've not had the time to
-> do much cooking some nights.

 hn> I try to do one big cooking episode and
 hn> plan it for the week's "leftovers" .
 hn> Lots of salads, and fresh veggies though.

I'm hurting if I do too much in one or two days--as I did in March.
Results were good for my folks freezer but bad for my wrist, elbow,
feet....................

-> ->  hn> Tonight I'm making tzatziki and it

-> -> Sounds good; we're going to reheat the left over eggplant parmisan I
-> -> made last night and have a green salad with it.

 hn> oh it was delish!

So was ours, as well as the one I made for the picnic. (G)

->  hn> Have not seen a decent price on eggplants
->  hn> lately so we've not had that dish for a while!
->  hn> Anne did mention it the other day though so
->  hn> I'm now keeping an eye out for good prices
->  hn> on eggplants!
 hn> ->
-> Find any yet?  I made an executive chef's decision and switched from
-> stuffed shells to eggplant parmisan at the picnic.  One dish was
-> polished off the same night I made it, not sure how long it took for the
-> other to vanish.

 hn> Gave up on a "good" price and picked up two
 hn> at $2.58 each and made that eggplant lasagna.
 hn> Still have about 4 servings (two meals) of it in
 hn> the fridge for the coming week. Will cook a
 hn> pork roast today to augment that and we're
 hn> set for the next week as well.

Steve initiated his new smoker Saturday night with some baby back ribs.
He pulled some veal chops out of the freezer to do tomorrow night.  Only
a 2 pack of those but enough to see how it cooks them.

---
Catch you later,
Ruth
rchaffly{at}earthlink{dot}net  FIDO 1:396/45.28

... OH NO!  Not ANOTHER learning experience!

--- PPoint 3.01
 * Origin: Sew! That's My Point (1:396/45.28)