Skriven 2014-03-11 22:44:00 av JIM WELLER (1:123/140)
     Kommentar till en text av MICHAEL LOO
Ärende: elusive ducks 298
=========================
-=> Quoting Michael Loo to Jim Weller <=-

 JW> We even sold our share and cancelled our 26 year old Co-Op
 JW> membership this week.

 ML> I'm of two minds about this. Of course you're operating
 ML> in economic self-interest mode, but what about the long
 ML> term - is Lob's going to continue to be a nurturing mother
 ML> after killing off its competition?

I had similar qualms. The Co-Op has a loyal core; I don't think
they'll go under.

 JW> Title: Ismaloqli Kesma Lag'mon (Noodles With Spinach)

 ML> An interesting cuisine, which seems halfway between Indian and
 ML> Turkish, which I guess should be no surprise.

And with Russian, Chinese and Central Asian Moslem elements all
combined.

Here is the last one I grabbed from her blog; it feels more
"European".

MMMMM-----Meal-Master - formatted by MMCONV  2.10

     Title: Graffskiye Razvalini- Duke's Ruins
Categories: Uzbek, desserts, cakes
  Servings: 8

           MERINGUE BASE:
      3    egg whites
      1 c  sugar
           pinch of lemon acid
           FOR SPONGE CAKE:
      6    eggs
      1 c  sugar
      1 c  plain flour
           SYRUP FOR SPONGE CAKE:
      1 TB sugar dissolved in
    150 ml water
      1 pn vanilla powder
           FOR SMALL MERINGUES:
      3    egg whites
      1 c  sugar
           pinch of lemon acid
      1 ts cocoa powder (optional)
           FOR CREAM:
    400 g  can condensed milk
    400 ml whipping cream
    200 g  soft cream cheese
      1 pn vanilla powder
           FOR TOPPING:
    200 g  chocolate

The base of Graffskiye razvalini can be made of fluffy sponge cake
or with a meringue. If you want it to be more crunchy and light, you
have to choose meringue base. I prefer to make it with a sponge
cake.

Small meringues on top, can be plain white as well as light brown,
using a little cocoa powder. I used bigger baking pan, so, my fluffy
base is thinner and "ruins" are not so high. If you will use smaller
pan for baking, you will get higher cake. Mine was 10 inch round
cake pan.

For meringue base, beat up egg whites until stiff peaks. Add in
sugar in 3 approaches and whisk for 3-4 min more. At the end, add in
lemon acid and whisk for 10 seconds. Pour this mixture in to baking
pan, layered with a parchment paper and cook in preheated oven, at a
lowest temperature, for a longer time. "Don't bake your meringues,
DRY them". Usually it takes 5!!! hours.

Small meringues are made in the same way, but, you have to pipe or
spoon small portions onto baking tray, layered with parchment paper
and bake for shorter time. (About 1.5-2 hours). If you want to add
in cocoa powder, it should be added at the end, along with lemon
acid. I use my pastry bag, with a medium sized "star" former, to
shape my small meringues.

For sponge cake: Whip egg whites until stiff peaks, add in sugar in
3 portions and whisk for another 1-2 min. Add in egg yolks, one by
one and mix carefully. Now, add in flour and again mix carefully.
Pour cake batter in baking pan, layered with baking paper and put in
to the cold oven. Bake for 40 min in medium heat. Baking time can
vary, as ovens are different. I baked mine for 1,5 hour:) (My oven
is just a disaster!!!)Just check up with a wooden stick. If it will
come out clean when inserted, than cake is ready. Take out and let
it cool completely. Peel of baking paper, cut the cake in two halves
and set aside.

Beat up cream, when it will just to start to thicken,gradually add
in condensed milk and beat until thick and smooth. At the end, add
in cream cheese and vanilla, beat for 1 min more. Don't over beat
the cream! You can skip cream cheese, but I like it's taste and
that's my favorite cream:)

To assembly the cake, put one piece of sponge cake on a big flat
tray, sprinkle with a syrup and evenly spread cream over the top.
Put on the second half and spread more cream on top. Now, start
placing small meringues on top of the cake. For that, just spread
some cream at the bottom of meringue and stick it to the cake. You
can arrange your meringues to your taste, but usually it is done as
in attached photo. When you done with meringues, fill the spaces
with a cream. Also decorate the sides of the sponge cake.

Melt chocolate on a double boiler and immediately pour over the
cake. Cake also can be sprinkled with some coconut powder.

  From: Malika Sharipova In The Art Of Uzbek Cuisine

YK Jim

... I need to snack less. I'm getting a tan from the refrigerator.

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20
 * Origin: Fidonet Since 1991 Join Us: www.DocsPlace.org (1:123/140)