Skriven 2014-04-05 21:39:00 av JIM WELLER (1:123/140)
     Kommentar till en text av NANCY BACKUS
Ärende: Quaker Steak and Lube
=============================
-=> Quoting Nancy Backus to Jim Weller <=-

 JW> menu has a SHU number attached to each of its many hot wings

 NB> I might be enticed into at least checking out the stupid hot,
 NB> at least in a tiny taste, at least once.

Not me. I did that once when I was younger but I learned. "Eat a
habanero he said, it will be fun he said." I like chile heat but I
am definitely in the moderate camp.

 JW> happy hour special is a dozen wings (wee six wings,
 JW> a dozen pieces actually) for $3.
 JW> other menu items are severely overpriced

 NB> That's the ploy... bring in the crowds with the specials, and make up
 NB> the difference with the usual items...  :)  Pretty standard...  :)
 NB> When the special is worth it, and one is careful about the rest, one
 NB> can do pretty well all the same... :)

I game the system by having a salad for lunch, a couple of beers at
home before going to the bar, ordering just wings and one beer and
then heading home again. I usually polish off my dozen hot ones plus
half of Roslind's mild ones. They don't make a lot off me.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: Veracruz Style Tamales with Chicken
 Categories: Mexican, Chicken, Chilies, Corn, Fruit
      Yield: 6 Servings

      1 pk Banana leaves, into
     24    8" x 12" rectangles
      1    Recipe tamale dough
      6    Roma tomatoes
      4 lg Garlic cloves
    1/2 md White onion
      1 ts Salt
      1 tb Lard or corn oil
      5    Fresh jalapeno chiles,
    Seeded and chopped
      2 c  Shredded, cooked chicken

  Tamales Rojos Veracruzanos con Pollo

  Prepare leaves and dough as instructed in recipe for Basic
  Tamales. Roast the tomatoes and garlic on a comal or griddle until
  the tomato skins blister and the garlic skins turn brown. Peel the
  tomatoes and garlic and puree briefly in a blender. Do not
  overblend, since sauce should have some texture. Heat the lard or
  corn oil in a medium skillet, add the onion and cook 5 minutes.
  Add the tomato mixture and the jalapenos and cook another 5
  minutes. Add the chicken, mix well, and remove from heat. Allow
  filling to cool to room temperature. Fill, wrap and steam
  following the directions for Basic Tamales. Makes 12.

  Instructions for Basic Tamales: Although tamales may be enclosed
  in many types of leaves, including banana, chaya and the fresh
  corn leaves called hoja de milpa, dried corn husks are the most
  frequently used wrappers in central Mexico, while banana leaves
  are common in the south. This recipe is for the basic dough and
  describes techniques for using either corn husks or banana leaves
  as wrappers. Do not cut down on the amount of salt, since salt is
  lost during the steaming process.

  Place the cornhusks in warm water to cover and soak them for
  several hours or overnight. Remove them from the water, drain and
  pat dry. If using banana leaves, omit the soaking and simply pass
  them over the stovetop flame to make them pliable. Beat the lard
  by hand or with an electric mixer until it has the consistency of
  frosting. Place the masa in a large bowl, add the water gradually
  and knead until the dough is no longer sticky; add the baking
  powder and salt. Add the beaten lard to the dough, a little at a
  time, beating after each addition until the dough is light and
  fluffy. To test for lightness, pinch off a small piece of dough
  and drop it into a glass of chilled water. If it floats, the dough
  is ready; if not, continue beating and test again.

  If corn husks are being used: Trim the pointed ends if they have
  not been trimmed before being sold. Lay 2 of them side by side
  lengthwise, overlapping by about 1". Spread about 2 tablespoons of
  the dough down the center of the overlapping husks, leaving the
  top, bottom and sides bare for wrapping. Spread about 1 tablespoon
  of filling over the dough and fold both lengthwise sides of the
  husks over the dough and filling so that they overlap. Fold the 2
  remaining sides toward the center, forming a little package.
  Secure them by tying a strip of cornhusk around each tamale.

  If banana leaves are being used: On each rectangle of banana leaf,
  place about 2 tablespoons of dough, spreading it to form a thin
  layer. Place 2 tablespoons of filling over the dough, fold the
  bottom edge of the leaf upward and the top edge downward, so that
  they overlap. Press them lightly to keep in place, then fold the
  side edges inward to form a square. Wrap each tamal in a second
  banana leaf, sealing in the first one to prevent leakage while
  steaming. Tie each tamal with a strip of banana leaf.

  Whether making corn husk or banana leaf tamales, pour water into
  the bottom of a tamalero or steamer, adding a coin so that its
  rattling will alert you if the water evaporates before the tamales
  are done. Line the steamer rack with either corn husks or banana
  leaves. Arrange the tamales on the rack, stacking loosely to allow
  room for the dough to expand. Cover with another layer of corn
  husks or banana leaves and a clean cloth to absorb steam that
  drips from the inside of the lid, in order to prevent tamales from
  becoming soggy. Steaming will take 1-2 hours, depending on the
  altitude and the consistency of the dough. Test for doneness by
  removing and unwrapping a tamal. Tamales are done if the husk or
  leaf separates easily from the dough and the dough is firm. If
  they need more time and water, add boiling water to the bottom of
  the steamer. Let cool slightly before serving. If freezing
  tamales, allow them to cool completely and pack in freezer bags.

  Makes about 24 corn husk tamales or 12 banana leaf tamales.

  From: Terry McIntire, Rec.Food.Recipes

MMMMM

YK Jim

... It crosses the line from hangover comfort food to heinously indulgent

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20
 * Origin: Fidonet Since 1991 Join Us: www.DocsPlace.org (1:123/140)