Skriven 2014-04-07 09:34:10 av Dave Drum (1:18/200.0)
     Kommentar till en text av Michael Loo
Ärende: Meat me in St. Louis
============================
-=> MICHAEL LOO wrote to DAVE DRUM <=-

 DD> If you do get to Cardinal Central let me know. I won't go to a beisbol
 DD> game with you - but, I could be persuaded to go down on "The Hill" for
 DD> some good St. Louis-style Italian grub. And/or to a White Castle for a
 DD> slider eating pig-out/contest.

 ML> The Italian would be okay with me - there are plenty of
 ML> red-sauce dishes I can enjoy if there's not too much cheese
 ML> in them. White Castle not so much. Higher on the list would
 ML> be fried chicken, pork tenderloin, a steak place, or Q.

It's been so long since I was in San Loomis that I had to consult with friends
who frequent the Gateway City.

Results: Fried Chicken - Hodak's 2100 Gravois Ave., St. Louis, MO - (314)
776-7292 (on the original Route 66). (three recommendations)

Chicken and Waffles - Connelly's Goody Goody Diner 5900 Natural Bridge, St.
Louis, MO - (314) 383-3333 (one recommendation, but enthusiastic for all of
that) also something called "the Wilbur" a signature dish of which I have no
experience.

On The Hill: Cunetto House of Pasta, 5453 Magnolia Ave. St. Louis, MO 63139
(314) 781-1135
http://www.cunetto.com/menu_dinner.html

Charlie Gitto's 'On the Hill', 5226 Shaw Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63110 (Charlie
Gitto's Toasted Ravioli Named One of 33 Iconic American Foods)
http://charliegittos.com/

Trattoria Marcella, 3600 Watson Rd + Saint Louis + (314) 352-7706
http://www.trattoriamarcella.com/our-menu/

Rib-A-Que (seems to all be Memphis style (and nothing wrong with that)) Pappy's
Smokehouse (3106 Olive Street; 314-535-4340) www.pappyssmokehouse.com

Bogarts Smokehouse 1627 S 9th St, Saint Louis + (314) 621-3107
www.bogartssmokehouse.com

 DD> Title: St. Louis Toasted Ravioli
 DD> Categories: Pasta, Cheese, Sauces

 ML> Though the only fried ravioli I can recall tasting were
 ML> of this cheese variety, I'd be more okay with meat ones,
 ML> which I understand are available at some of the restaurants.

All of the Guinea places I listed are supposed to have meat ravioli as well as
the cheese.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: Polish Pierogi
 Categories: Pasta, Potatoes, Cheese, Sauces, Dairy
      Yield: 12 Servings

MMMMM---------------------------DOUGH--------------------------------
      4 c  All-purpose flour
      2 lg Eggs
    1/2 c  Sour cream
      1 ts Salt
    2/3 c  Warm water

MMMMM-----------------------POTATO FILLING----------------------------
      3 md Potatoes; cooked, drained,
           - mashed
    1/2 md Onion
    1/4 c  Butter
           Salt & pepper

MMMMM-----------------------CHEESE FILLING----------------------------
      1 lb Dry cottage cheese
      2 lg Eggs; beaten
    1/2 ts Salt
    1/4 c  Butter

MMMMM---------------------------SAUCE--------------------------------
      1 lg Onion; chopped
    1/2 c  Butter

  Dough: Mix flour, eggs, sour cream, salt, and water,
  a little at a time. Knead dough until firm and
  elastic; Cover and let rest 10 minutes.

  Potato Filling: Prepare potatoes, set aside.

  Cheese Filling: Combine ingredients and mix.

  Sauce: Saute onion in butter until golden.

  Assembly: Divide dough into three parts. On a
  floured surface roll dough to about 1/8" thick;
  cut into 3" rounds. Place a small spoonful of the
  filling in the center of each round, fold and press
  the edges together firmly to seal.

  Drop the pierogi in simmering chicken bouillon with 1
  teaspoon of oil. Do not crowd. Simmer for 15 minutes,
  stirring gently to prevent sticking. Remove with a
  slotted spoon and drain well.

  Place the drained pierogi in a casserole and pour
  sauce mixture over all. Garnish with mushrooms.

  From: http://www.recipesource.com

  Uncle Dirty Dave's Archives

MMMMM
MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: Varenyki (Filled Dumplings) Ukrainian
 Categories: Dumplings, Breads
      Yield: 10 Servings

      5 c  Unbleached all-purpose flour
      1 ts Salt
      2 tb Butter
      1 c  Evaporated milk; NOT
           - condensed milk
    1/2 c  Water; as needed
           Filling; your choice

  Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl, forming a well
  in the middle. Add the butter and milk and mix lightly
  until the flour is absorbed. (Add a little warm water as
  needed.) Knead until the dough sticks together, cover and
  allow to rest for a few minutes, then knead until smooth.
  Cover and set aside. (This dough should be somewhat soft,
  since more flour will be added as the dough is rolled
  out.)

  Or, in a processor, combine the flour, salt, and butter,
  stirring a few times, then with the machine running, add
  liquids until a ball forms. Allow to rest for a few
  minutes and then process until smooth. Place the dough in
  a lightly oiled bowl, turn, and cover for about 30
  minutes. (It may be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated
  for a day or so, brought to room temperature and then
  rolled out.)

  Place a fourth of the dough on a floured work surface,
  re-covering the rest of the dough. Roll into a circle,
  starting at the center and rolling outwards to maintain an
  even thickness, turn over and again from the center, roll
  the dough out to about 1/8-inch thickness. Run a hand
  under the bottom to loosen it. With a 3-inch biscuit
  cutter or wine glass, cut into rounds.

  When done cutting, place 1 Tb of the filling on one side
  of each, flipping the other half over the top and sealing
  with your fingers or a fork. Make sure each is sealed or
  the filling will come out when cooked. Place each of the
  dumplings on a floured cookie sheet, keeping the dumplings
  covered with a towel. Repeat with the remaining dough,
  saving the scraps until last. Use as little flour as
  possible in this process or the scraps will be come tough
  and heavy.

  Gently drop 12 to 15 varenyky into 3 quarts of boiling
  water, in a large wide pot or Dutch oven. Do NOT
  overcrowd. Stir and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes. Drain
  in a colander and place on a lightly oiled cookies sheet,
  shaking to coat with a thin film to prevent sticking. Do
  NOT pile the dumplings on top of each other as this
  distorts their shape. If the varenyky are to be frozen,
  remove with a slotted spoon when they float to the top. DO
  NOT overcook.

  To freeze. place in the freezer on an oiled cookie sheet
  when tepid (lukewarm). When they are rigid, store in
  tightly sealed plastic bags.

  TO SERVE: Varenyky may be poached, pan-fried or steamed,
  served as an accompaniment or meats or served with sour
  cream, chopped sauteed onions or fried bacon with a little
  bacon fat.

  From: Don Houston       Date: 24 Jan 97

  Uncle Dirty Dave's Archives

MMMMM

... Sacred Cows make the best hamburger. - Mark Twain
___ MultiMail/Win32 v0.49

--- Maximus/2 3.01
 * Origin: Get your COOKING fix here! - bbs.outpostbbs.net (1:18/200)