Skriven 2014-08-26 07:18:00 av MICHAEL LOO (1:123/140)
     Kommentar till en text av RUTH HAFFLY
Ärende: his delights again 849
==============================
 ML> because short of Aunt Ah's procedure there's no way to
 ML> change other people's tastes. I disagree with that last
 ML> to a certain extent.
 RH> I can't agree with Aunt Ah's method either. I had more than 8 tastes
 RH> of some things and still don't like them. (G)

Well, correct me, Burton, if I'm wrong, her rule was
that if you'd tasted something on 8 occasions and
still couldn't get it down, you were absolved from
trying it again. It wasn't a guarantee that you'd
get to like it. I'm with you in that there are foods
that I can't tolerate no matter how many times I've
encountered them - blue cheese being the worst (even
zucchini I will eat if deep-fried).

 RH> It's been fun following some of the threads over the years. Too bad
 RH> some of the main characters in them are no longer with us; the echo had
 RH> some pretty interesting discussions when they were around.

Indeed, but as with all communities, things change.

 RH> You got back from Europe before the volcano in Iceland started up
 RH> again. As of a bit earlier tonight, i understand air travel was going
 RH> to be quite dicey flying in/out of Europe for a bit. Going to have some

We were in Europe for a previous Icelandic eruption -
people were pouring southward into Italy, because that
was the limit of the ash cloud, so Fiumicino was a
sudden boomtown, the flights taking minimal delays,
whereas in Germany, a couple hundred miles north, the
airlines were booking people into the weeks ahead.
We'd booked a hotel there well in advance for maybe
E50 a room, and while we were in the lobby having a
cocktail, I overheard them taking reservations for
that night for E300. Perhaps we could have doubled up
on the room (something we sometimes do now to save
money, one suite costing less than two rooms) and made
a substantial dent in our expenses by auctioning off
the other one. The bad thing was that our upgrades
didn't clear, instead going to people who were willing
to pay full fare for them. Which makes sense. After all,
the upgrading thing started because there was this
empty space up ahead, and the airlines decided to make
good will by giving it to loyal frequent flyers ... only
we started to expect it as a given rather than appreciate
it as a treat that we might be willing to pay for when
more well-heeled, so it became a case of the tail wagging
the dog.

That volcanic event was four years ago or so, so I guess
we were due for another.

 RH> of that Argentinian beef I've read that is supposed to be so good?

Yep - but in Europe and on (non-US) air carriers I've had
a bit of it already. It's good, though different from what
we're used to, as it tends to be free-range and grass-fed.

I understand that we can't get it at all any more in the
states, though it was available, mostly in cans, when we were
kids. Trade sanctions or health concerns, not sure which.

 ML> The privilege is supposed to be for employees and their
 ML> families only, but the guy was the manager, so nobody
 ML> could say anything, and I was almost family anyhow.
 RH> Can't talk to the manager about the manager breaking rules?

That sort of thing. It's a rare cop who writes himself a
speeding ticket.

  When we
 RH> were in AZ and Deborah was working for Taco Bell, one time when Steve
 RH> and I came in, the manager gave us a half price meal--one she would
 RH> have had if she wanted, on that shift. IIRC, it was a shorter shift so
 RH> she declined the meal so we could have the discount. We only did it
 RH> once tho, out of fairness to her, and we hadn't anticipated he'd do
 RH> that.

Well, it was a good will gesture, and anyhow in this case the
restaurant does well to give frequent perks to employees, which
makes them feel better and also forestalls the possibility of
five-finger discounts, if you know what I mean.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02

      Title: Grant's London Broil W/bbq Rub Ala Pitts
 Categories: Bbq, Meats
      Yield: 4 servings

      1 tb Lemon pepper
      1 tb Garlic powder
    1/2 ts Pepper, black, fresh ground
    1/4 ts Cayenne pepper
           -or to taste
    1/4 ts Paprika
      3 lb London broil, 2" thick

  Combine spices in a shallow pan large enough to hold London Broil.
  Coat entire broil with rub mixture and cover pan with plastic wrap.
  Set aside at room temperture for approximately 2-3 hours or
  refrigerate overnight. Meat will look wet. Pat dry but don't remove
  rub. Pre-heat gas grill on HIGH for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to MEDIUM
  and place meat on center of grill. Close cover and grill for 10-15
  minutes; turn meat over and grill for an additional 10-15 minutes for
  medium-rare. Use tongs. Don't pierce meat with fork, so as to retain
  jucies. For conventional charcoal grilling, start coals and let burn
  down to a light grey. Place rack approximately 6 inches from coals.
  Proceed as above.

  Source: Grant Ames w/ thanks to Kathy Pitts Formatted for Meal-Master:
  Grant Ames 04/05/95 Posted: Grant Ames

MMMMM

___ Blue Wave/386 v2.30
 * Origin: Check Out Doc's QWK Mail  Via Web BBS > DocsPlace.org  (1:123/140)