Skriven 2014-09-01 13:32:06 av JOHN GUILLORY (1:396/60)
     Kommentar till en text av RUTH HAFFLY
Ärende: Sugars
==============
-> -> I'll have to try a true gumbo some time then. What is the reasoning for
-> -> eggs to be in it?

I've tried to put the recipe like we're used to making it, will have my
wife double check it.  May get with my sister on getting the recipe for
Etouffee.  My wife made a good Etouffee, based on what my mom told her,
before she passed away, but the way my wife describes what she did
doesn't sound right, and later thinking about it, her version came out
brown, which doesn't sound right either...  I know what I do for a gumbo
though, the basics and all, just not used to really measuring out
everything.... Also, the recipe I typed up is on the other computer, so
I'll probably post it later tonight, or tomorrow...

-> That sounds about as big as my uncle's chowder pot! It would feed Steve
-> and me for a month or more, even without the eggs. (G)
   The pot I remembered would feed me, my sister, my mom, and my Dad for
2-3 meals at least.... May have been only 2 feet tall, but still....
Took up usually 2 burners on the stove....  Was realy meant for a
propane burner....  She'd fill the pot full of water and put the
apropriate amount of roux.  Probably 2-3 packs of chicken, 2-3 packs of
sausage....

-> That's a lot of electrical stuff in one room! Our house has central heat
-> & air. We only have one tv that stays off more than on, but we do have a
-> lot of computer equipment. I do 99.99% of my computer work on a net
-> book, usually in the living room.

We had Central Air/Heat, I even put a brand new, very nice digital
thermastat in the trailer when we moved in.  It was extremely cold, I
was working, and I think my wife wasn't home at the time, but we had my
sister and her husband staying before they moved into their trailer.  I
got off of work, and my wife told me that the heater started smoking,
they turned it off and shut off the breaker, and they said it pratically
caught on fire....  They said the blower burned up in it.  At the time,
we had an Air Conditioner unit that we was waiting on the same
electrician that later messed up my office to put in.  We didn't know if
the air conditioner unit worked or not, but we got a quote from a friend
who works in the air conditioner repair on how much the blower would
cost.  Not knowing if the air conditioner worked or not, we figured it'd
be best just to use heaters in each room and window units.....

-> I usually have a tabletop ironing board on my cutting table but bring
-> out the bigger board when I've got large amounts of yardage to press.
-> The Santa I sew for buys extra fabric whenever I make a shirt for him;
-> it usually ends up being about 6 yards which makes pressing on the big
-> board the way to go.

For pressing, I actually have a T-Shirt press in my office that I bought
when I bought my Vinyl Cutter that's in the office as well...  But,
despite that it stays setup, she would rather do everything with the
iron, even if she's doing an iron-on t-shirt label for the outfits she
makes herself....

->  JG> I really want to know why the heck some moron would wire 2 rooms on 1
->  JG> 15 amp breaker then run about 5 rooms on another 15 amp breaker!  Had

-> Either the factory did it or somebody did it as an after market, either
-> way, it doesn't sound right.

I'm told it's common pratice for trailers.... I understand trailers are
built amoung the cheapest standards (didn't realize how bad till I
started remodaling this one!)  I can understand now why some folks will
take a trailer and pretty much gut the entire trailer including the
exterior walls and re-build it!  The "Studs" in the trailer are a mix of
"1x4" and "1/2x4" in the walls!  I honestly have never seen wood so
SMALL!  All plumbing is like 1" PVC pipe, no metal pipes what soever.
The breaker box, rather than giving each individual room their own
breaker, they put in a bunch of double-breakers, where in each breaker
slot, you have 2 terminals providing 15 amps to the 2, and allow you to
run 2 seperate wires to that 1 15-amp breaker.  I'm told they do this
because its cheaper.  So instead of buying a breaker box that can hold
for example 20 breakers, they buy a box that holds 10 breakers and load
it up with double sized breakers.  Only a desinger of a trailer would
allow this!  Most general contractors would slap them silly for thinking
of it!  While most General Contractors on TV say that you want to allow
for extra room for expansion, in reality, the general contractors you
higher will tell you that code says  you are to put a breaker box in
that at the most has 2 extra spaces for breakers, and you generally want
it to be full when you install it.  They don't like having bigger
breaker boxes than you need.  I'd rather have a bit more expansion than
that, but...  I also realize that the higher the amps, most likely the
higher the risk of fire, but think if I was designing a house, I would
probably run a 40 or 60 amp wire to each bedroom, then put a sub-panel
in the room, and wire 3-4 15 amp breakers in each sub-panel.  Yes,
Expensive to do, but in the long run, much safer and your covered for
expansion no mater where you need it.

-> Strange goings on. How well is your kitchen wired? i'm presuming, since
-> we're total electric and the laundry area is in the kitchen, it's
-> probably the best wired in the house. I'm probably going to try to do
-> most of my cooking this week on small appliances that don't heat up the
-> kitchen too much as it's supposed to be in the 90s. I'll have to see
-> what can go into the crock pot, use the microwave, have some salads,
-> etc.

I think the kitchen is technically wired on 3 different breakers.  We've
got a small chest type freezer in the kitchen (pratically in the den,
but... stil in the kitchen...)  By the sink, we have I think 4 outlets
and 1 light over the sink with a 60 watt bulb.  It is on the breaker
that runs to the office (feiling light with 2 60-watt bulbs, and 4 wall
outlets) and the son's bedroom (I think 4 wall outlets and 2 60-watt
bulbs) as well as the dining room light.  The dining room has I think 3
wall outlets that are on the same circuit as the living room outlets
(another 3).  Really strange from an electrical stance, because the wall
in the office where this computer is plugged into (The BBS computer),
Right Next to the outlet, mounted facing the dining room is the outlet
for the dining room.  As close as these two outlets are, most
electricians would save wire by wiring the two on the same run, but no,
when we had no power, I could run on the oppisite side of the wall, plug
in an outdoor extension chord, run it through the door and plug in the
router and cable modem, etc. to keep the wifi up!  It was that switch
that went to the light above the sink that was the root of all evil!
When the electrician came, he removed the switch and the switch fell
apart in his hand.... It was so old that when you removed the wire to
check things out, the brass connectors just fell off the switch!  So he
replaced it with a new switch.  When he did, the light came on.  When I
was trying to figure things out (partly because he was too busy to come
out, partly because he told us we'd have to re-wire the whole
trailer....) I checked nearly every switch and outlet in the trailer,
made sure it worked, checked to see if it was the end of the run or not.
On all outlets that only had 1 set of wires going to it (end of run), I
put a piece of red tape on it.  I drew drawings on my notebook and tried
to figure out what went where from looking at the plugs, what direction
the wires went, and what each breaker turned off....  I hated to mess
with the light, because it was the only breaker the electrician fixed,
and I assumed he knew what he was doing.... But after I exhausted
everything else, I double checked to see what it looked like.... Hmmmm,
3 sets of wires going into the light..... 1 from the 2 outlets mounted
right before it on the wall, 1 leading outward....  Yes, as luck would
have it, one wire was not connected tightly... I re-connected all wires
and flipped the breaker back on.  Wow!  The dining room and office
lights where clearly on now!  But, just as I got estatically happy and
discovered that now all rooms had electricity, I got to playing in the
office with my radio, happy I had my room back... Only to discover...
The light in the office won't shut off!  And further more, the light in
the son's room goes on and off depending on how the switch in the office
is wired!  So I cut the power off again, looked at the switch to the
office light and reversed a few wires, got it working ....  You'd think
the licensed electrician would have known how to wire the light switch
in the office!  ;-) He took it apart and put it back together, just
didn't have the right wires in the right place.....

 * Origin: KF5QEO's Shack (1:396/60)