Skriven 2014-09-25 12:48:00 av MICHAEL LOO (1:123/140)
     Kommentar till en text av NANCY BACKUS
Ärende: other standouts 999
===========================
 ML> Good and bad both. Check out Clean Dave's recent review of
 ML> HomeTown Buffet in his area. davescupboard@blogspot.com,
 ML> where he also delves into the mysteries of cured meats and
 ML> such delightful topics.
 NB> I'll have to see if I can...  :)   Sounds interesting...

Speaking of which, my brother wanted to go to Golden Corral
yesterday, the reason for which perhaps I'll go into another
time. The food was notable for its saltiness and a kind of
bland deadness at the same time. There were, though, 5 oz
supposed sirloin steaks never frozen, of which I had only
two, having filled up on pot roast fat and salty fried
chicken beforehand. They were somewhat salted but artificially
tenderized; they were also off-cuts of the "shell sirloin,"
which bothers me not, as shell sirloin, fat, and gristle are
my friends. The fried chicken and pot roast were seasoned
primarily with salt, though there were sauteed vegetables
(onions, peppers, celery) that were meant to go with fried
chicken livers (which were decent though overcooked) to liven
things up. Taco meat and "Mexican rice" (heavy cumin, not much
else) were okay. The Chinese station looked wretched, and the
piece of sesame chicken I had was rancid. My favorite things,
other than the steak fat and gristle (didn't care for the
texture of the meat itself, though it was actually medium-rare),
were corn on the cob, which tasted like slightly sweetened
hominy, chocolate pudding out of a 55-gallon drum, and a
surprisingly authentic fudge brownie. And Mug root beer, $2.19
with free refill. I got 50c off for being a senior citizen.

 ML> Speaking of word of mouth, the boy is regaining his old energy
 ML> and has begun to contribute substantial articles again.
 NB> That's promising...  Any likelihood, do you suppose, that he'd stick
 NB> his head back in here again, and rejoin our merry crew...?

I think he's now used to the more heady charms of the
Internet, but maybe I'll ask him sometime.

 NB> At least a fair number know him by name... especially the old-time
 NB> regulars that go back to the days when he was the sushi chef at
 NB> Yang's

A good sign. Have you seen much of those regulars when
you've visited his new place?

 ML> Can anyone imagine that in ancient times they did public
 ML> health studies of royalty vs. commoners and the health
 ML> consequences of black vs. white rice?
 NB> Not really..  ;)  But if black rice was an uncommon commodity, or
 NB> sufficiently more expensive, I can see it being reserved for those
 NB> that could afford it... and thereby a legend developing...

But if my info is anywhere near correct, the whiter and
more delicate the rice, the better it was deemed to be.
I'm sussing that the stuff isn't that ancient a phenomenon
but resulted from selective breeding of a sport. By the
way, whoever has linked up the Wikipedia articles on
black rice and forbidden rice is an idiot. The black
rice article is in fact about black sticky rice and has
no relation to the other, which is (properly) treated in
a subsection of the Lotus Foods one.

 NB> I don't mind at all that it makes its own sauce, so to speak... I'm
 NB> not planning on serving it as fluffy rice by itself, but as part of
 NB> some mixture, for which the sauce is useful... :)  The really low heat
 NB> is what I'm using for the bulk of the cooking.. it's a barely simmer
 NB> usually...  The flame-tamer you refer to... is that the same as the
 NB> diffuser that RuthHf is urging me to add to my camping gear...?  I've
 NB> got an electric range, in any case...

Most likely. But at home, low on the electric should be fine.

 ML>> ugly. Speaking of which, I read that in Japan, Burger King
 ML>> has come out with a black hamburger.
 NB>> What's it made of...  Or don't we want to know...?   (G)
 ML> The coloring agents are squid ink and charcoal. My
 ML> question is what the black cheese tastes like.
 NB> Squid ink's not all that bad... charcoal doesn't sound all that
 NB> appetizing, although I suppose it might be helpful in calming the
 NB> tummy after...  ;)

Charcoal is coming into vogue as a food additive, I
don't know why. I have a little tin of "black salt"
that was given me as an amenity by Lufthansa. Turns
out the stuff is just plain ordinary salt mixed with
charcoal powder. Why? Pretentious nonsense is my guess.

 As to the cheese... is that merely colored also? or
 NB> do they have some sort of black mold... ;0

If you find a picture of the stuff you'll see clearly
that it's artificially colored. I can't think of any
black mold that is edible. Speaking of which, the black
mold in my brother's bathroom has invaded my bathroom,
which is bad, and has gotten to the point where he
is avoiding using his, which is worse. The good thing
is that this house is a teardown.

 ML> There's a thread someplace asking people if they
 ML> would try it, and one of my colleagues said that he
 ML> wouldn't mind eating it, but he wouldn't pay the
 ML> cost, which is Y450 - about $4.25 - for the burger,
 ML> and up to twice that to add fries and a soda. I
 ML> almost responded who would begrudge themselves this
 ML> rare experience for $4.25 but didn't do so in the
 ML> interests of amity.
 NB> Specifically in the interests of avoiding misunderstanding of the
 NB> tone of the response...?  ;)

Nah, I think I could lighten it up sufficiently, but
the guy would come across cheap.

Borghi fudge
cat: Italian, Tuscan, chocolate, dessert, candy
yield: 1 lb

180 g couverture
170 g condensed milk
40 g almonds
40 g pistachios
15 g butter
1 pn salt

Combine the chopped chocolate, milk, butter, and
salt in a saucepan. Cook, stirring, over a moderate
flame, until the chocolate is melted and smooth.

Chop the nuts and add to the mixture.

Pour into a rectangular or square pan, smooth the
top, and refrigerate until firm. Cut the fudge
into squares.

Alessandro Borghese, http://www.ricettemania.it
___ Blue Wave/386 v2.30
 * Origin: Check Out Doc's QWK Mail  Via Web BBS > DocsPlace.org  (1:123/140)