Skriven 2014-10-13 16:11:04 av Janis Kracht (1:261/38)
  Kommentar till text 17996 av Ruth Haffly (1:396/45.28)
Ärende: Peppers                                                  [1]
Hi Ruth,

>> doesn't typically let his hair grow out much so I'm thankful we don't
>> need to test this.

> Steve cuts his own hair but I usually have an up the street neighbor do
> mine. Either way, we don't generate that much at any time to spread as a
> deet deterrant.

Heh..know what you mean there - I didn't generate that much after I got out of
High School pretty much. When I was in high school -maybe- I might have grown
enough hair to be effective - Later my hair seemed to get thinner. It's funny
though one of the side-effects of naltrexone that I take for the MS supposedly
causes your hair to grow in thicker.  It's done that for me it seems.  Still
happy we don't have a deer problem though.  In town, in Ithaca my daughter does
see a lot of deer in her yard, but she has no time for gardening... :)

> I'd thought the oregano was an annual; I guess it self seeds enough to
> regrow each year. I don't think of going out and grabbing some that
> often, especially since we've cut way back on our pasta consumption. I
> might dry some before we move tho.

Supposed to hit low 70's the next few days, so I'm hoping to go outside and
grab a bunch of herbs before the chill hits next week.  Oregano is a perennial
and returns each year...so if you pot some up before you move, it might make it
to next spring at your new place.

>> Sure.. and if you lose it, no big deal.. I can help once you decide
>> what you want to do..

> Right now it's in the back recesses of the mind--have to get thru the
> move first.

Yeah!  Regarding moving, I don't mind moving if we've got a lot of time to get
everything packed.  And lots of paper haha... that's something that used to be
no problem back in the day of the daily or weekly newspaper.. not so much
anymore with mostly reading news online.  I remember being bothered by having
to actually PURCHASE packing materials for our last move (grin).

>> > Sounds like a good way to keep it somewhat in check but I think even
>> > that would produce more squash than we wanted.

>> One year I remember freezing sliced summer squash.. didn't work out
>> too well Lol.. Too much water in the squash I guess... :)  One plant
>> should be fine for you if you decide to grow any type of squash.  One

> Have to think about it--one would self pollinate?

It should.. because it should have branches of the plant with male/female
flowers.  You might have to hand-pollinate but I don't think so.

>> of these years I want to grow pumpkins again..It's been a while.. :)

> Steve is thinking about it; he just cooked a pie pumpkin today he'd
> picked up last week. Guess I'll be doing a pie next week.

hehe.. 'tis the season.  I picked up two pie pumpkins at the store this week so
today I'll bake them.  Then we'll have our fix for pumpkin pie and pumpkin
bread.

>> > No, you can get quite overrun with squash.

>> That's probably why I never grew Zucchini :)

> Either zuchinni or yellow squash--both grow enough to supply a
> neighborhood!

hehe... pumpkins do as well, but you can freeze pumpkin once it's cooked. I
guess any squash has the tendency to overcome your garden (g) I do remember
bringing several summer squash to the Doctor's office one year.. they were very
very happy to get it since those who worked full time didn't have much time to
garden.  I also brought it to the dentists office and they were equally happy
to get it (g).

>> still had some chilly evenings when I got the tomato plants in (freaky
>> year again this year) but the plants made it ok, maybe some slight
>> discoloration, but nothing that affected buds later, thankfully.  I

> IIRC, my dad didn't put them in until mid to late May. Most of the
> garden went in around that time frame, frosts were usually done by then.
> Usually, but not always. (G)

Normally, March-May is probably the busiest time of year for gardening around
here.

>> remember some years in SE NY throwing thick plastic sheets over the
>> garden and one year, bedroom sheets, to protect plantings in the
>> spring.. sometimes you have to do things like that.  The problem with
>> that is you have to get those covers Off in the morning so the plants
>> don't "steam" once the the sun is up :) :)

> Dad never covered his plants. If there was a frost danger in August or
> September, we'd have to pick all produce still on the plant, and there

Sure.  I'm talking about when the plants go in, in the early spring.  It can be
helpful at the end of season as well, but you don't normally see it then.
Probably because most people grab the veggies as soon as they're ready :)
That's what I do at least.

> would be a good bit on the tomato plants. Had to scrub up good before
> going to school to get that yellow-green smelly stuff off out hands and
> arms.

Yes, I can picture that... :)  That's something -a bit messy- but I miss here
as well.. my grape arbour!  It was so great having it in Windsor so I do plan
on getting one in here.  I might have to wait until next season though since
this fall we're trying to get that house in Windsor on the market, or rented.
Not sure yet which way will be best, but it's still taking up a lot of our
resources right now.

>> > IIRC, my dad planted a bush type of yellow wax beans. I don't know
>> why > he planted those instead of green beans, but, that's what I grew
>> up eating (and Mom canning or freezing).

>> Those work well :)  I did grow them one year, bush beans again.  Agway
>> (our farmers supply store) seems to always carry them.  If you grow
>> pole beans they work well too, just put a couple of stakes in the
>> ground teepee style.

> We won't do a lot, especially the first year or two as we work on
> settling in.

I can understand that.  You have an advantage of nice weather longer though..
must be nice :)

> Now we're getting later season produce at the market. Steve brought home
> some baby swiss chard, a butternut squash and some bell peppers from the
> farmer's market today.

That's nice :)  Sometimes you can't beat a farmer's market for really great
produce because of the variety.

>> Expert packers :)

> Military hire packers for all moves since 1985. This is our first DITY
> (Do IT Yourself) move since moving from Goodfellow AFB to Copperas Cove,
> TX in summer of 1984.

When we moved to Louisville, KY, we had packers/movers paid for by fptech...
that was so funny... those guys even packed an ashtray -with butts in it-.  I
was glad to have my mom's crystal ashtray she'd given me.. but..... I really
had to laugh.  I'd bet you have some good tales about things that didn't
'really' need packing from all those years :)  Of course that year we moved to
KY was also the year that the moving company lost my box of cookbooks :(  That
was a PITA. Luckily I was able to replace most all of the cookbooks at a
second-hand bookstore in Louisville though.

>> Is only the type for mulch?  That's helpful for mulching at least but
>> not the type for turning in the soil.

> Just mulch I think, but will help the beds here before we move.

Yes, and it will look really nice.

Take care,
Janis

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1