Skriven 2014-10-31 19:49:12 av Ruth Haffly (1:396/45.28)
  Kommentar till text 18717 av Janis Kracht (1:261/38)
Ärende: Peppers                                                  [1]
Hi Janis,

 JK> > We thought so. The owner sold the building the next year, new owner
 JK> > raised the rents so we moved.

 JK> I can understand that one.. higher rent along with high utilities..
 JK> not a nice situation.

No, and we had an offer for more space, less rent so went for it.

>> The company that sold us the propane would only come to refill if the
>> two very large tanks were down to 1/4%.  And, they would only refill
>> them completely so we'd have them come every few months in winter
>> IIRC.  It's not something that stuck in my mind for some reason (vbg).

 JK> > We'd have to get fills a lot more often.

 JK> Propane was only used to heat a few rooms in that house in Windsor as
 JK> I mentioned, and the hot water heater ... so it wasn't so frequent for

So you did well with the propane......

 JK> us. Filling the oil tank could be painful though depending on the cost

...............but not as well with the oil.

 JK> of oil at the time... The cost of oil seems to be down currently and
 JK> so that's good news for the people looking at our house right now..
 JK> though the tank is full at the moment.

Prices are coming down now; we're seeing gas for under $3.00/gallon
around here. I'm not sure what natural gas is running but we will be
using it for the heat and hot water in the new house. Steve was talking
with the seller the other day and found out the highest gas bill he had
last winter was lower than our highest electic bill. He has a family, so
our bills should be much lower since it's just the 2 of us.

 JK> >The place we moved to had a
 JK> > wood stove as its only heat initially but we added a gas line and a
 JK> > couple of gas heaters a few months later. Work was done on a cold
 JK> winter > day (after several warm days) and I was in the morning
 JK> sickness stage of > expecting our first. Needless to say, I wasn't a
 JK> happy camper until the > conversion was finished and we had heat.

 JK> Ok, I can imagine that combination must have been rough :(

I was over the worst of the morning sickness (thanks to tea and toast)
before the work was started but still, not fun to be cold and queasy &
not able to do much about either situation for several hours.

 JK> I remember some of the silliest things with my first... like Ron
 JK> giving me a ride to college, and me throwing up on the morning
 JK> newspaper right next to me on the carseat... eek.  (G).  I only got
 JK> morning sickness with my first though.

I had it the worst with my first in the early months, especially in the
morning but bits of queasyness at other times if I didn't watch my
eating. Then, with both girls, in the last month or so I had a bit of
queasyness as well, which was interesting as one was 3 weeks late, the
other, 3 weeks early.

>> Yes, the electric frying pan came in handy here a few times - I've had
>> one since I was first married. I'm amazed it still works :)  Well,
>> last time I checked it did, anyway.  It has a high domed cover.. I
>> remember reading in the instruction booklet that you could bake a cake
>> in it, though I'd never tried that (g). Wonder if anyone ever has? :)

 JK> > I never tried it, did try it in the crock pot once or twice.

 JK> That's something I would never have thought of trying :)  Makes sense
 JK> it would work though for some cakes since the heat is slow and even.
 JK> hehe..now I want to try it (grin).

Rival put out something called a Cake and Bake (or something like that)
pan; you might be able to find one on E-bay if you want to try it. I'd
think a vented coffee can (or something similar) might work just as
well.

 JK> > We found we used the cast iron fry pans more often than the
 electric one so found a  new home for the latter. Funny, it worked that
 way because I grew up using an electric fry pan.

 JK> Mom never had one... she was also big on using cast iron and actually
 JK> more often stainless steel.

We've got a couple of stainless steel ones, but they don't get used very
often. (G)

>> So far this fall has been decent. Very mild.. today the temperatures
>> hit 70 in Windsor.. we were there signing papers to get the house on
>> the market.  Yay, that's done.  :)

 JK> > Hopefully it'll sell fast.

 JK> We hope so... The agent let me know she's got someone interested
 JK> already and she is going to show it Monday.  It will be amazing if we
 JK> get an offer on the first showing, as it will help incredibly with our
 JK> finances if it does.  We figure to be flexible with the price, so that
 JK> should help as well.

Good, that you've got a showing so fast. I don't know how long the one
we are buying has been on the market but the day we first looked at it,
another person did also. We put our offer in a few days later.

 JK> >We've had a few days in the lower 70s. It's
 JK> > supposed to be up near 80 by mid week, then plummet to the upper 50s
 JK> by > the week end. Possibility of frost even on Sunday morning.

 JK> <sigh>.... here we had 70's day before yesterday, and today it's in
 JK> the high 40's.. Fall is definitely here... just in time for Halloween.
 JK>  At least we're not expecting snow like we've seen on some Halloween's
 JK> over the years :)

Been there, done that. Today was in the low 60s but tomorrow may not get
out of the 40s. Snow in the western part of the state but we're supposed
to get just rain.

>> We've had some funny ones over the years... one was a trailer I
>> swear.. though it wasn't advertised as such... It was inexpensive and
>> fit what we needed for a few months while something opened up.. forget
>> now what it was... could have been the purchase of one of the houses
>> we bought over the years.  But it was cold, and not very inviting...

 JK> > We've been in some interesting places too. Had a small double wide
 JK> in > Swansboro for a few years and another trailer (single wide) for a
 JK> few > months in San Angelo, TX. We think a tornado went over us while
 JK> we were > in that one.

 JK> That must have been scary.. even just the sounds I'd imagine.

Actually, I didn't know about it until after the fact. I just knew it
was really raining hard, and noisly as is typical in a mobile home.

>> There must have been plenty of room to run around, that's good.

 JK> > Very good for kids--hills for sledding, berry patches for picking
 JK> all we > could, lots of space just to ramble and explore.

 JK> Yes, same where I grew up... I'll never forget making my very first
 JK> batch of blackberry jam -  because I spilled it all over my arm!  I
 JK> still have the scar from that one.  Live and learn (grin)  I think I
 JK> may have been 11 or so when that happened.  Just a clutz I guess,
 JK> knocking one of the jars over (g)

That was a (bad) learning experience. My worst time with blackberries
was the first or second year my mom was in summer school. My youngest
sister went "berry picking" (but put the berries into her shorts
pockets. Getting those clean was a major chore! Then she went out a
couple of days later and did it again!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

>> Understand.   The good thing is it's yours to modify as you need.

 JK> > Yes, and I'm debating decorating ideas already.

 JK> That's so neat ;)  It's one of the things I have always liked about
 JK> older homes or I guess ones where rooms can be moved (like making the
 JK> dining room a living room, etc.).

This one was built in 1992 so not as many options. Still, it's one we
can call our own.

>> I should have started gardening on time is what it comes down to :) :)
>> Then I would have had cucumbers all season. :)  Next year I hope it
>> will be different.

 JK> > You're thinking about next year already--good start. Let's hope all
 JK> > works out to get an early start and things keep going all summer.

 JK> Generally if my energy holds up, I'll do ok so that's what I'm hoping
 JK> for :) Unfortunately every time there's a season change my darn body
 JK> has to acclimate to the changes before I can really get going.  If we
 JK> have a rough winter it's

>> CONTINUED IN NEXT MESSAGE <<

---
Catch you later,
Ruth
rchaffly{at}earthlink{dot}net  FIDO 1:396/45.28

... Matthew 7:20 | Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

--- PPoint 3.01
 * Origin: Sew! That's My Point (1:396/45.28)